Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:06 AM

well, the early Dec signing day is fast approaching, Wed next week Dec 18

right now I think all of NU's current commits are expected to sign next week, that list includes:

QB Logan Smothers

RB Sevion Morrison

RB Marvin Scott III

WR Zavier Betts

WR William Nixon

OT Turner Corcoran

OG/OT Alex Conn

NT Nash Hutmacher

DT/DE Marquis Back

OLB Blaise Gunnerson

OLB Junior Aho

ILB Eteva Mauga-Clements

DB Henry Gray

DB Ronald Delancy III

DB Tamon Lynum

that's 15 total commits thus far.  

This class can be 20-25 depending on who else wants to be N but I expect it to not climb much higher than 22/23 to save a couple spots for the transfer portal and graduate transfers

so, let's see who may still be on the board for NU

it looks like the staff is done recruiting QB, RB, TE, and OL.  That leaves WR, OLB, ILB, DL, and DB.  So basically any spot on defense plus WR

WR targets:

JUCO WR Omar Manning - it's been stated that he will be a Feb signing day decision, so his recruitment will continue.  It had appeared that NU was the leader for quite some time but he's going to be a top target for many schools after the early signing date

WR Justin Robinson - a Georgia commit who has visited NU, it's unlikely NU flips him imo

WR Alante Brown - appears to be another fast slot receiver, I think NU is in good position here

WR Marcus Fleming - runs a 10.4 100m, I think NU is good here as well

WR Javian Hester - just decommitted from Mizzou, a teammate of NU commit Sevion Morrison (I think) who is a taller WR that NU needs.  Not sure but I think he'll take more visits and make a Feb signing day decision

I suppose the big question is if NU lands Brown and Fleming, do they still take more WRs in Feb?  My guess is yes, since both Manning and Hester are bigger WRs that NU needs/wants, plus NU graduates Noa/Williams/Woodyard and loses Hunt, plus it's obvious WR needs help.  

now, for defense, where the fans would like to see some upgrades at both ILB and OLB

DL

NU is in decent shape here with the commits they have on board right now, but they're still looking at some other additions:

JUCO DE Julius Coates - just decommitted from Colorado, I think NU is in good shape here

JUCO DL Jordan Riley, JUCO DL Pheldarius Payne - are these backup options?  not sure

DL Nusi Malani - the staff has been working on him for a while, I still think it's a tough pull to get those west coast poly kids to turn down local schools plus Utah, BYU, etc

DL Tuli Tuipulotu - see above.  

ILB

NU picked up a JUCO commit but would also like to add a prep LB as well.  

ILB Keyshawn Greene - recent FSU decommit, NU is after him hard but it's going to be tough to pull him out of the state of Florida

and that's probably it for ILB

OLB

OLB - Kaden Johnson - a longtime NU target I think NU is the leader here

OLB Jimari Butler - 50/50 for NU right now I think

DB

Fisher has done a good job mostly under the radar with his recruiting since his arrival in Lincoln.  He's already got 3 commits for the class and is looking to add at least one more, 2 would also be taken if they're top kids who you make room for

DB Jaden Francois - probably NU's best chance of these three, and would be a good addition

DB Darion Green-Warren - NU is still in the running but this has always been an uphill battle, he seems like to sign with Michigan

DB Myles Slusher - current Oregon commit who has visited, and I think is teammates with NU commit Morrison, but in the end I think he sticks with Oregon

If I had to guess in order of likelihood of committing, based on extremely limited information (as in barely any other than reading the bs that others write):

OLB Kaden Johnson

JUCO DE Julius Coates

WR Marcus Fleming

WR Alante Brown

DB Jaden Francois

OLB Jimari Butler

I think NU has a less than 50% chance with everyone else (ignoring the Feb signees Manning and Hester)

but, then again, who knows?  

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101511 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:42 AM

Manning surely seemed more likely before his TAMU offer.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#3 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9845 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:49 AM

I thought I had heard that Betts is going to wait till Feb.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#4 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

I had wanted to post an update the night before signing day but couldnt log in, since there were a lot of moving pieces heading into the early signing day

first off, the bad news, OLB Kaden Johnson from MN, who it was thought was a huge husker lean, was flipped by Wisky a few days or a week before signing day, which also explains the rush of OLBs visiting and being allowed to commit.  

probably the only other negative is that DB Myles Slusher was flipped from Oregon but to Arkansas and not Neb

so, everybody that was committed and expected to sign did just that.  

signing day wins for NU:

JUCO WR Omar Manning (was committed prior to Wed)

WR Marcus Fleming

WR Alante Brown

JUCO DL Jordan Riley

JUCO DL Phedarius Payne

ILB Keyshawn Green (committed prior to Wed)

OLB Jimari Butler

JUCO OLB Niko Cooper

DB Jadein Francois

NU also added Isaac Gifford as a blue shirt (he pays his own way this spring then gets put on scholarship in the fall and counts towards the next class total)

also I think Betts is going to sign in Feb because of grades

JUCO OLB Junior Aho didnt sign, not sure if it's a grades issue and he's waiting until Feb or more of a no room at the inn issue

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#5 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

NAME POS LOCATION HT WT STARS RATING COMMITTED

WR

Bellevue, NE

6'3"

4/3/19
VERBAL

WR

Waco, TX

5'11"

7/8/19
SIGNED

WR

Kilgore, TX

6'3"

12/13/19
SIGNED

WR

Oakdale, CT

5'10"

12/18/19
SIGNED

WR

Miami, FL

5'11"

12/18/19
SIGNED

RB

Tulsa, OK

6'0"

8/21/19
SIGNED

RB

Port Orange, FL

5'9"

8/24/19
SIGNED

QB

Muscle Shoals , AL

6'2"

7/26/18
SIGNED

OL

Lawrence, KS

6'6"

4/13/19
SIGNED

OL

Derby, KS

6'6"

6/24/19
SIGNED

LB

Lincoln, NE

6'1"

12/16/19
VERBAL

LB

Pleasant Hill, CA

6'2"

12/11/19
SIGNED

LB

Crawfordville , FL

6'2"

12/15/19
SIGNED

DT

Chamberlain, SD

6'5"

6/29/19
SIGNED

DT

McDonough, GA

6'4"

10/12/19
SIGNED

DT

Garden City, KS

6'5"

12/17/19
SIGNED

DE

Carroll, IA

6'5"

7/2/19
SIGNED

DE

Hutchinson, KS

6'4"

12/15/19
SIGNED

DE

Mobile, AL

6'4"

12/16/19
SIGNED

DE

Scranton, PA

6'2"

12/18/19
SIGNED

DB

Orlando, FL

6'2"

6/23/19
SIGNED

DB

Miami, FL

6'1"

9/19/19
SIGNED

DB

Miami, FL

6'0"

10/8/19
SIGNED

DB

Homestead, FL

6'1"

12/18/19

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

early enrollees:

OT Turner Corcoran

DB Henry Gray

QB Logan Smothers

CB Tamon Lynum

WR Alante Brown

JUCO LB Eteva Mauga

that might not be the entire list

#7 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

so, my initial thoughts are that this staff did one hell of a job closing in the final week.  wow.  and that's after back to back 4-win seasons.  

they signed more 4-stars than the school ever has before

I also like that they did a good job of trying to continue to balance out the roster not only at various positions, but also with some JUCOs to balance the classes

they also seemed to do a good job of addressing immediate/urgent needs, like athleticism and bodies at ILB and OLB, and more bodies for the WR room and particularly a couple of bigger WR targets

QB 

Logan Smothers

They took the QB they wanted early, it will be interesting to see how he develops in Lincoln, but as an early enrollee he should at least be available next fall for his 4 games to keep his redshirt

RB

Sevion Morrison

Marvin Scott III

2 nice pickups here by Held, and a couple of different body types as well.  Scott is shorter (5-9) and heavier and SF has already said he's ready to play right now.  It will be interesting to see how they use both of these RBs next fall.  Will they try to keep both of their redshirts?  that's going to be tough to do with only Mills and Rhamir Johnson returning (although it sounds as if Ronald Tompkins might be recovered from his knee cleanup to play in spring ball).  I wouldnt be surprised to see one of both of these guys play next season.  

TE

none.  no TEs were lost to graduation, and NU returns Stoll, Allen, Rafdal (if he stays), Hickman, and transfer Vokalek becomes eligible as well.

WR

JUCO Omar Manning

Will Nixon

Marcus Fleming

Alante Brown

Zavier Betts

wow.  you have to like how they finished this WR class.  lock up the best player in state in Betts who also happens to be a big body WR that your team desperately needs.  They add a coaches son in Nixon, a 10.4 100m kid in Fleming, a prep school WR in Brown who played QB in high school, and you add in the #1 JUCO WR who also happens to be a beast at 6-2 or bigger and 220 lbs or bigger.  If Betts qualifies (now they're saying he will sign tomorrow), I wouldnt be surprised to see him skip a redshirt as a backup to new starting WR Manning.  Brown is someone they can put all over the field as a DUCK-R, and Fleming has speed you simply cant coach.  very nice WR class

OL

Turner Corcoran

Alex Conn

with no players lost to graduation, the staff could afford to be picky for their OL recruits.  Getting a top 100 national player in Corcoran is a good way to be selective.  Conn is no slouch either.  Both should redshirt considering the huge OL class last year that will be ahead of them.  Corcoran enrolling early may give him a chance to see playing time, though.  

DL

Nash Hutmacher

Marquis Black

JUCO Jordan Riley

JUCO Pheldarious Payne

NU graduated their entire 3 starting front, plus 2 more non-contributors.  They did a good job of inserting some experienced (JUCO) talent and some prep talent.  Riley and Payne the staff will try to get up to speed quickly to be in the rotation next fall.  Hutmacher and Black have big upsides but should redshirt

OLB

Blaise Gunnerson

Jimari Butler

JUCO Niko Cooper

Butler is a former basketball player who only recently started playing football.  He has a great frame and lots of potential and will likely redshirt.  JUCO Niko Cooper will be thrown into the mix right away as a pass rusher on the outside.  Gunnerson if he gets healthy has potential to skip a redshirt.  NU returns Nelson, Domann, and Tannor, but they need more bodies and more pass rushing ability.  

ILB

JUCO Eteva Mauga

Keyshawn Greene

Issac Gifford

With all 3 of these kids signing in the final week, it was a good job by the staff.  Mauga was under the radar until Held found him and then suddenly he's a 4 star.  He seems like an interesting project as well, since I think he grew something like 3 inches and 40 lbs his 2 years at JUCO.  Greene was a late decommit from FSU due to their coaching change and then committed on his visit a few days before signing day.  Greene has speed you cant teach.  He ran a 4.49 laser timed 40 at camp, the fastest mark in the country for a LB.  yes, the fastest time in the country for a LB.  was there ever a time these past few years where we wish our LBs were maybe a step or two faster?  this guy is that guy.  Gifford could grow as well and turn into a better LB than his brother was.  anyway, these guys greatly increase the athleticism at the inside LB spot, which should help immensely with covering TEs and RBs and also on the blitz.  

DB

Tamon Lynum

Ronald Delancy

Henry Gray

Jaiden Francois

another wow.  Fisher gets his work done largely under the radar but damn he is giving Held a run for his money on the recruiting trail.  Fisher helped pull 7 kids out of FL for this cycle including all 4 of his DBs.  I dont know who is going to play CB and who is going to be a S and nobody else probably does, either.  all 4 of these kids are talented.  It's going to be hard for any of them to burn a redshirt but if they're good enough, they will.  I bet one of them will for special teams and as a backup and to help balance out the classes in the DB room.  nothing to complain about here.  

10 offense, 14 defense  

something else to not overlook is how big of an impact this class could have on NU's special teams next year.  Yes, a couple of guys, Fleming, Brown, could be PR or KR, but I'm talking about all of the DBs and LBs they can now throw onto the field to cover kicks and punts.  NU's special teams used to be filled with a mix of starters and backups, but all kids who could run and hit.  NU has had such depth and talent issues for a while now that special teams sucks, as we saw last season.  having a lot more LB/DB bodies to put onto the field will help a ton.

overall, it's pretty tough to even pick nits with this class.  

second 4 win season in a row shouldnt get you a top 20 ranked recruiting class.  but they did it.  now let's see the coaches develop them

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

read elsewhere that our early enrollees are:

QB Smothers

OT Corcoran

WR Brown

JUCO DT Riley

OLB Gunnerson

JUCO ILB Mauga-Clements

DB Gray

DB Francois

DB Lynum

that's a nice group.  

Good to see those DBs arriving early it will be interesting to see if any of them can overtake last year's signees of Newsome, Farmer, Pola-Gates, Wright

Getting JUCO DT Riley and JUCO ILB Mauga in early for spring ball will be great for the defense, as both could be in the mix next year.  

QB Smothers should redshirt.  Probably the same for Corcoran but since he's enrolling early he may have a shot at earning playing time since NU is short on OTs and the staff would like to move the elder Farniok inside.  We could see Corcoran battle it out with last year's top OT signee Benhart.  

Enrolling early will give Gunnerson a shot at earning playing time right away at OLB.  He's already 6-5 and 220 lbs, he could easily be at 240 or bigger by the time fall camp rolls around and put himself in the mix for playing time at OLB.  Nelson, Domann, and Tannor return so there's definitely some playing time for someone else.  

#9 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

test

#10 Span Man

Span Man

Doe eyed jijitsu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4386 posts
  • Interests:Consumption of Fine Single Malt Scotch
  • Iowa St.

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

test

Veni, Vedi, Veci!

A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week. - George S. Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users