#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14612 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

now, at this point, we've seen what this team is, which is a mediocre football team that makes a lot of mistakes.  

is it possible that we'll see some changes?  I suppose it's possible.  The team made a big stride last season after getting their asses handed to them by Michigan, but that was due to culture/buy-in imo.  

maybe it would be easiest to take a quick look at anything that's looked good this season?  

maybe Wandale Robinson?  

not the OL.  not the RBs.  not the WRs.  QB hasnt been that great either but it's tough to pin anything on one player or even one position group when they're pretty much all contributing to the mess.  

defensively maybe nobody?  

so, it seems as if the OL sucks, and the WRs cant get open.  exasperating the problem is that because the OL is struggling, defenses can stack the box to shut down the running game, and our WRs cant get open to make them pay.  then on passing downs, our OL gives up pressure vs 3 and 4 man rushes while the rest of the defense drops into coverage and nobody can get open.  

I think that AM was affected by the bad snaps but also the pressure the OL is giving up plus WRs not being where they're supposed to be.  I think he was probably trying to make the big play or the perfect play too often instead of just making a safe play.  

the OL is definitely struggling, not sure if it's because Jurgens is new and not making the correct calls or what.  remember that he's learning on the job, the kid has never played OL before in his life.  I will say that while I do see Jurgens standing around on occasion, for the most part I dont think that I've seen him get blown up with his blocking assignments.  The problem has been both of the OGs and both of the OTs.  

I also think that the playcalling isnt helping much at all, and I think that the coaching staff is having a tough year all around.  I think they're realizing that lincoln was a dumpster fire before they came in and it's going to take years to fix (as many correctly thought), and I think they're realizing that the B1G isnt quite the same as whatever shit conference they played in before.  

Talent-wise, I think NU is still a long ways off.  

Plus, it's going to take a few more years before there's solid veteran player leadership in the program.  

It's a problem when your two offensive captains are soph.  

It's also a major problem when a grad transfer gets named a captain.  yeah, great story that he came in and set a good example by working hard, but isnt this a gigantic red flag that there is a horrible lack of leadership within the program itself.  

defensively, our DL was supposed to be a strength, and it's shaping out to not be the case, although I think most of the blame has to do with the LBs.  The LBs dont seem to be doing that great a job at really anything.  They dont seem to fill the correct holes, they overrun plays and overpursue, and they dont get pressure on the QB when they rush.  The DL probably looked like world beaters in fall camp because they were going against the Husker OL every day in practice.  

The secondary started the season well, and overall I think the defense is much improved if simply because they're trying to generate turnovers when they can.  But shit the defense has got to be worn down considering the amount of time they've been on the field the first 7 games.  

the 4 game redshirt rule is also messing with the coaching staff, imo.  They're juggling the roster trying to get certain frosh onto special teams units to use their 4 games meanwhile they cant make a decision on Rhamir playing or not, they fucked up having McCaffrey run out on the field for one fucking play when Bunch could have done it, etc.  I realize they want to save eligibility for these kids and build for the future, but I think you also have to consider playing some of them more, especially considering the lack of depth at several positions.  

I do wonder a bit, though, if the staff is trying to intentionally save as many of the frosh for the final 2-4 games as possible.  

but at this point, bowl eligibility is something that this team is going to have to fight for.  Right now, they arent any better than Purdue, Maryland, Indiana, and could easily lose any or all of those games.  Right now you have to chaulk up the Iowa and Wisky games as certain losses, as those two teams will simply line up and run all over our front 7.  

I wonder if we'll see some personnel changes after the bye.  

I realize it can be difficult to bench a player who's performing better in practice, but I'm hoping they can start to work more guys into the game like they did this past game with Bando coming in at LG for Hixson.  OLB Nelson probably deserves some more time as well.  you'd like to see some young WRs get more opportunities as well.  If Mo and Wandale are still nursing injuries after the bye, I think you have to pull the redshirt off of Rhamir and get him some work.  maybe now that Kade Warners back we'll see more production from the WRs.  he blocks well and is always where he's supposed to be.  

but to some extent you have to play the hand that you're dealt, and thus far this season I think the blame is at least equal if not more so on the shoulders of the coaching staff.  It appears that they've been surprised that this team wasnt as good as they thought.  They seem to have trouble finding plays that this team can run successfully, and they have demonstrated a halfseason of shitting the bed coming out of halftime every game.  that's not on the players, that's on the coaches.  where are NU's adjustments?  

but hey, 6-6 or 7-5 and a bowl game is improvement.  

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

This offense puts the defense in a tough spot, but it's not like that's a startling brand-new revelation.

What bothers me as much as anything, after all the talk of S&C gains, is talk like from the MN DLine saying "They're soft.  It was like playing high schoolers at times."

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#3 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14612 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

my quote of concern from the minny game was about how they knew if they ran stretch run plays they'd gash our defense over and over again because they knew our LBs wouldnt get their run fits correct.  

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#4 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9376 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

I've seen enough to know that Scott Frost isn't going to change things at Nebraska.  It's the same shit, over and over.

Then again, you could have a NU coaching staff of Nick Saban (Head Coach), Lincoln Riley (Offensive Coord) and Dabo Swinney (Defensive Coord) and the team would still be an utter shit show.

The coaches change, and the players change, but the outcome remains the same:  a below average, poorly coached and undisciplined group of individuals who call themselves a football team.

I've lost faith in NU football to ever return to being competitive again.  Not a champion, or even an excellent team -- just competitive. 

Here's what I don't understand:  how can Frost and his coaching staff take a UCF team that was 0-12 in 2015 and turn them into a 13-0 team in 2017 -- but can't get Nebraska to being an average football team!???

I can't even........

#5 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17259 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

I've seen enough to know that Scott Frost isn't going to change things at Nebraska.  It's the same shit, over and over.

Then again, you could have a NU coaching staff of Nick Saban (Head Coach), Lincoln Riley (Offensive Coord) and Dabo Swinney (Defensive Coord) and the team would still be an utter shit show.

The coaches change, and the players change, but the outcome remains the same:  a below average, poorly coached and undisciplined group of individuals who call themselves a football team.

I've lost faith in NU football to ever return to being competitive again.  Not a champion, or even an excellent team -- just competitive. 

Here's what I don't understand:  how can Frost and his coaching staff take a UCF team that was 0-12 in 2015 and turn them into a 13-0 team in 2017 -- but can't get Nebraska to being an average football team!???

I can't even........

I would say it's helpful to have athletes coming into your program that just came from playing football all year long. 

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14612 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

first off, we're halfway through year two.  over half of the roster hasnt been here for more than 2 years.  

keep in mind a few things, #1 UCF had a shitton more talent than NU and it's not even close.  look at the kids drafted from that UCF team during their time there and look at NU's recent draft history.  #2 they played in a shit conference.  #3 they played in a shit conference.  they probably only had 2-3 difficult games all year, and it wasnt near the physical grind that P5 football is.  combine a talent advantage with a scheme advantage and a shitty conference and you have a recipe for success.  the fact that they beat an uninspired auburn team in a bowl game doesnt make them a P5 football team on a weekly basis.  

I think the coaches are learning some hard lessons this season about play calling, the physical nature of the B1G, and about adjustments.  They're also still changing the culture to a large extent.  

I think we dont realize how far this program has fallen in regards to in-house accountability and responsibility.  

as for the roster, they've had to weed out the malcontents, and try to recruit over about 10 years of poor recruiting.  that takes time.  I'm also unimpressed with the upperclassman leadership on this team and in this program.  it's going to take year 4 with players like AM and Cam Taylor as captains before we really see a Husker team that has the depth, talent, and leadership to contend for conference championships.  

#7 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14612 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

let's look at the roster again:

LT - Jaimes, Bando

LG - Hixson, Bando, Raridon

OC - Jurgens, W Farniok, Piper

RG - Wilson, Sichterman

RT - M Farniok, Benhart

Wilson, Jaimes and Farniok are Jrs, and Farniok is prob better suited at OG than OT but we have no other OTs so he's stuck there

Hixon is a walkon soph who's starting.  not a senior walkon, but a soph walkon.  

Jurgens is a redshirt frosh making his first ever snaps at OC, backing him up is another redshirt frosh and a true frosh.

We've seen all season that these guys arent cutting it.  3 of them are returning starters and while Hixson looked horrible and was benched against Minny, from what I saw Jurgens was our best OL this past Sat.  The upperclassmen OL need to step up.  

so, the OL is dogshit and wont be fixed this season unless Benhart comes along fast enough to play in the final 4 games and move Farniok inside to RG.  

at QB we have AM who is not the problem.  but at least the fans saw that Vedral isnt the answer either, at least not behind this OL.  I personally think that AM is trying to do too much and make the best/perfect play every time since he knows that his OL sucks and they arent going to be able to sustain drives.  but who knows.  he could also be nursing an injury that nobody knows about.  

at RB we have Mo, Mills, Wandale, and that's pretty much it.  Mo seems like he's disappeared or checked out the past few games, not sure if it's because of the injury or attitude.  I've heard he isnt the fondest of getting in the weight room and I think that's part of the message the coaching staff is trying to get across to him this season, pointing out that he's letting his teammates down because he's banged up because he didnt push himself hard enough in the offseason.  Mills looked like crap the first couple of games but then started to be more patient and has done a decent job of finding the occasional hole when the OL actually manages to open one up.  Wandale looks good, let's hope we dont run him into the ground the second half of the season.  Rhamir Johnson will play in two more games, although I think they should just burn his shirt now.  They've got two new RB recruits coming in next season, no need to save redshirts now, at least not for guys who can get valuable game reps to get them better prepared for next season.  

WR is another huge problem.  we have a roster of slot WR and no outside threat.  maybe we'll see a difference with Warner out there now.  he's actually a legit outside WR although he doesnt scare defenses he runs his routes correctly and he's where he should be.  and he blocks well.  I would like to see the staff give the younger WRs some more opportunities as it doesnt seem like it can get much worse from a production standpoint.  but again it also seems to be an experience issue as the only Sr is grad transfer Noa (who iirc did most of his production out of the slot at Cal), who hasnt done much, meanwhile we have our juco transfers williams and woodyard who are also busts at this point.  not one of the frosh can step up?  

anyway, offensively it's a very young and inexperienced team, and the OL, for probably the 20th year in a row, lacks top end talent and depth.  

next year the entire OL returns, not sure that's all good news, though, but more importantly it will get the young kids another year, but I dont think our OL/DL play is going to be strong enough to contend for the CCG for at least another 2-3 years.  

• johnnyhusker82 likes this

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14612 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

defensively, we have an experienced DL, but it seems like they're getting worn down.  I also think they're not as good as we thought since they went against the Husker OL all fall camp.  

I'm ok with the current DL rotation, hard to play redshirt frosh over seniors unless they're just out of this world and that's tough to do on the DL just as it is on the OL

my corncern (lol) with the defense before the season and definitely now is the LB.  Barry has great heart but I think he plays the worst out of the 3 ILB.  Miller to me seems to be playing the worst but for the most part I think the LB play overall has been poor.  ILBs are making poor run fits and OLBs arent doing much of anything.  I do think that Tannor has improved, but part of the problem on defense is there really isnt a player that the opponent has to gameplan for.  

I thought the secondary is much improved this season although they still have a long ways to go but we're also starting our nickel/backup CB at S because we lost our best most talented S in the first game of the year.  

anyway, it would be nice to see them work Robinson, Rogers, Wildeman in a bit, and also use Keem Green for the final 2-3 games of the season or whatever to preserve his redshirt.  

at LB, I think after 1.5 years of minimal production it's time to bench alex davis.  I realize the coaches like him because he does his job of holding the edge, but that's all he fucking does, he doesnt make a tackle or make a play.  ever.  put Nelson in since you already decided to burn his redshirt and let him learn on the job and make mistakes.  play Domann more.  play Tannor more.  the problem is that our OLBs are undersized (as are our ILBs to a certain extrent) and against run heavy teams we have to play a lot of alex davis instead of tannor/domann vs spread teams.  

right now LB recruiting has got to be a huge priority.  those are the guys who clean up the mess and make all of the tackles.  doesnt matter how good our DL or secondary is if our LBs suck because teams will just run all over us

the young talent in the secondary looks good.  the young talent on the DL looks good.  LB scares me a bit.  

is there a "fix" for the defense this season?  I dont think so.  

but, from my viewpoint, it does appear that a number of kids, especially the secondary, has really embraced their job of trying to get turnovers.  so there's progress.  

right now, though, Iowa and Wisky are going to run all over this defense and it's going to be scary.  

• johnnyhusker82 likes this

#9 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

Hoosier Husker = Right on!

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#10 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9376 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

I would start a thread titled "Fire Frost!!" but I've come to realize it won't matter.  The next coach, and the one after that, will still give us the same shit.  Nothing will change with NU football.

Making it to a low level, third tier bowl game every 3 or 4 years will be the best we see.

#11 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

I would start a thread titled "Fire Frost!!" but I've come to realize it won't matter.  The next coach, and the one after that, will still give us the same shit.  Nothing will change with NU football.

Making it to a low level, third tier bowl game every 3 or 4 years will be the best we see.

Jesus, I hope you are wrong. But I have to admit last weekend was the first time I questioned if Frost is going to succeed. Not sure if anyone else senses restoring NU back to respectability isn’t something that he wanted to do but rather something he felt he had to do? It certainly doesn’t look like he’s having much fun out there and sure much of that could be that he’s not living up to his own expectations. That said if he can’t turn it around it will never happen and NU will be remembered like Minnesota as a once great program that time passed by.
"We ran into a buzzsaw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#12 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Some Husker Fans = Spoiled Rotten Brats

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#13 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

I remember being concerned eight years ago that we could easily lose a generation of fans as it had been twelve years since NU had won anything of significance. It has now been twenty years and a full generation has passed. That’s a lot of patience even for those like yourself that watched NU during the Roosevelt administration.
  • HuskerFan likes this
"We ran into a buzzsaw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#14 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

I remember being concerned eight years ago that we could easily lose a generation of fans as it had been twelve years since NU had won anything of significance. It has now been twenty years and a full generation has passed. That’s a lot of patience even for those like yourself that watched NU during the Roosevelt administration.

Meh.  We live in a microwave society.  People get pissed if they wait in a drive-thru more than two minutes.  I'm not pulling the old trite comparison of "Osborne didn't win a national championship for 17 tears" or even the comparison of Dabo at Clemson or Saban at Alabama or even Michigan State, but jeebus christo, a season and a half in and whiny little bitches are calling for frosty blood and being dicks to players. 

FDR would've lost WWII with this line of thought.  And you'd have been more accurate in your historical reference by going further back in time, as Rome wasn't built in a day.

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#15 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17259 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

Meh.  We live in a microwave society.  People get pissed if they wait in a drive-thru more than two minutes.  I'm not pulling the old trite comparison of "Osborne didn't win a national championship for 17 tears" or even the comparison of Dabo at Clemson or Saban at Alabama or even Michigan State, but jeebus christo, a season and a half in and whiny little bitches are calling for frosty blood and being dicks to players. 

FDR would've lost WWII with this line of thought.  And you'd have been more accurate in your historical reference by going further back in time, as Rome wasn't built in a day.

football the last 10 years for me has become about tailgating with good friends, except Johnny, because Johnny hasn't ever stopped by.

#16 AZ4NU

AZ4NU

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2543 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

football the last 10 years for me has become about tailgating with good friends, except Johnny, because Johnny hasn't ever stopped by.

JH, you ever get an invite to any of these tailgates? Yeah, me neither.  :ninja:

#17 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9376 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

Johnny, you're as predictable as a Wisconsin RB running for 300+ yards against the Huskers by going right to the tired, old "you're just a bad fan" trope.  Surprised you didn't call me a Nazi racist, too, as many intellectually lazy folks do these days when they can't argue the merits of their position.

I notice, that you don't present an argument against my actual point -- that Nebraska football has been average to shitty for about 18 years now.  And that despite the comings and goings of coaches, assistants, ADs, and players, nothing has ever really changed.  There's been no discernible improvement toward becoming a well-coached, disciplined football team that plays hard each play and can be a Top 10 team, consistently.

Those are facts my friend. 

But continue calling me a bad fan if it eases your pain.  Eventually, you'll get to the same numb place that I am, where you just don't give a shit anymore.

• mNhhh likes this

#18 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17259 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

Johnny, you're as predictable as a Wisconsin RB running for 300+ yards against the Huskers by going right to the tired, old "you're just a bad fan" trope.  Surprised you didn't call me a Nazi racist, too, as many intellectually lazy folks do these days when they can't argue the merits of their position.

I notice, that you don't present an argument against my actual point -- that Nebraska football has been average to shitty for about 18 years now.  And that despite the comings and goings of coaches, assistants, ADs, and players, nothing has ever really changed.  There's been no discernible improvement toward becoming a well-coached, disciplined football team that plays hard each play and can be a Top 10 team, consistently.

But continue calling me a bad fan if it eases your pain.  Eventually, you'll get to the same numb place that I am, where you just don't give a shit anymore.

JH, you ever get an invite to any of these tailgates? Yeah, me neither.  :ninja:

we don't have any wheel chair access

#19 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12983 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

I cannot believe this crap. Scott is the last, best hope for NU football. What is on the field is a result of that prick Perlbitch,his hired weasel Eichpussy, and that dumbass lazy prick hired as "coach" that let the team degenerate to a group of guys more interested in themselves, and who would probably lose to any intramural team at any community College in a second rate city.

UCF was a much better team even at 0-12 Than the Huskers were when Scott arrived. That's why he was able to turn that place around so much faster. And that is why Moos gave him a 7 year deal, cause he knew how fucked up the situation was.

Not saying Scott is perfect, but I would expect to get better every year, which he is doing.

What a bunch of whining little bitches, cut from the same cloth that booed him as a qb 🙄

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#20 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

Not certain where I'd' have pulled "nazi racist".  That's more a Liberals's political term these days.

Wouldn't dispute the state of Husker football.  It's been abominable.  I do see some improvement from the recent past, but it's not enough to satisfy the microwave-minded masses.

I didn't call you a bad fan.  I didn't even call you a spoiled brat, but you happily assumed that mantle.  But then, if the shoe fits...

As for numb, try mixing my meds with alcohol.  It's a truly numbing combination.

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users