Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2019: Five undrafted free agents who have a clear path to playing time and could surprise as rookies

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101416 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

Stanley Morgan, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Position ranking on my final big board: WR16

Morgan's 2018 season at Nebraska is a fine example of why we should be using receiving-yard market share instead of raw statistics. The senior had 1,004 receiving yards. OK. Pretty good. But as a team, the Huskers only threw for 2,966 yards, meaning Morgan accounted for 33.8% of those yards through the air. For context, Marquise Brown, the first wideout picked in the 2019 Draft, had a team receiving-yard market share figure of 29.1%. 

I'm not entirely sure why Morgan went undrafted either. He checked the production box. And his combine was solid across the board

On film, I saw a tenacious wideout in Morgan. He routinely sold out to nab inaccurate throws, bounced off tacklers in space with the ball in his hands, and showed the ability to snag difficult passes downfield. 

In Cincinnati, there's A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd, and a bunch of young, unproven pass catchers, from 2017 first-round pick John Ross to 2016 sixth-rounder Cody Core to 2018 seventh-rounder Auden Tate

And even with Green and Boyd locked into the WR1 and WR2 roles, new head coach Zach Taylor, a branch of the Sean McVay tree -- impressive feat to have a coaching tree at 33 years old -- is likely looking for a quality WR3 to be featured relatively often. Last season the Rams -- with Taylor as quarterbacks coach -- utilized a three-receiver, one-back, one-tight end look on an otherworldly 89% of their offensive plays. The league average was 65%, per SharpFootballStats.com. 

The opportunity is undeniably there for Morgan. He has the aggressive, well-rounded game to get plenty of looks and produce as Cincinnati's WR3 as a rookie. 

https://www.cbssport...ise-as-rookies/

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users