#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14545 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

yeah, it's late.  so was the Husker wakeup call this season for them to start playing well.  oh well. 

generally, Neb got outplayed most of the game by Iowa.  SF said after the game that Iowa was bigger and stronger than they were, and that was evident during the game. 

the only thing that kept this close was poor Iowa coaching. 

anyway, Iowa players have had the same coaches (including S&C) for their entire careers, and that makes a difference. 

AM didn't play poorly outside of that one ill advised pass that got intercepted, and he made some nice plays with his arm and his legs. 

Oz probably should have gotten more carries, but I understand not wanting to run a lot against a defense solid against the run (MSU game Neb would have aired it out more if not for the wind).  Mo Washington had a nice day receiving, nice to see the coaching staff work him into the game plan more with JD out. 

Morgan had a nice game and broke a bunch of season and career records in the process.  if JD stays healthy next season he might break them all

OL didn't play that great, and our young OTs got exposed against solid DE end rushers. 

DL didn't even hold their own, constantly getting pushed around. 

LB played poorly.  again. 

secondary was also a disappointment, particularly playing 20 yards off of Iowa's best player at TE (not Fant) to give up the 10 yard completion on 4th and 8 that allowed them to kick the game winning field goal. 

overall, the kids played hard but played a better and more experienced team and it showed. 

on to next year. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98362 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

Trench warfare killed us, plain and simple.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#3 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

Need the big dudes up front on both sides of the ball. Solve that issue and things will only get better. As poor to mediocre as the o-line was the offense still put up some dang good numbers. If talent/play on o-line gets better who knows how explosive it could become. As for the defense, the year got off to a good start sack-wise but really tailed off. Couldn't get close to qb unless there was a blitz, and that didn't work much, which only opened up holes in the secondary. Special teams got better as year progressed. SF showed some marbles by faking that punt deep in own territory.

You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

#4 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14545 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

I think we'll see a bit of a shift in OL body types, as I think SF wants more athletic OL for his offense, to be able to pull and also operate at tempo.  imo, the SF offense is very friendly to OL, as it spreads the defense and the tempo often prevents a lot of overly advanced blitz packages

defense is a hot mess, though, for the most part.  I read somewhere else that the defense had major issues stopping the run after Stoltenberg went down.  I realize he isn't a prototypical NT, but he at least was serviceable there, and apparently did a decent job of at least holding his ground, which allowed for the DT/DE to be more aggressive.  once he went down, we were playing Carlos Davis at nose, and he's undersized for that role, plus that took him out of the DE spot.  Damion Daniels has the potential to be a beast at NT, but the kid needs to get in shape to be able to play even half the snaps in a game. 

over the course of the season, it looks like Chin changed up the way he likes to play defense (scheme, not aggressiveness) to play to the strength of his players... or at least to minimize their weaknesses.  he wants to focus on stopping the run, but the way that he does it is to put his CBs and DBs in one on one coverage, and our secondary wasn't ready for that yet.  he ended up switching things up to play more zone in the second half of the season to take some pressure off of the DBs, but that made for bigger issues in stopping the run. 

basically, the defense needs improvement at all 3 levels, and it can probably only happen with a talent infusion. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#5 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98362 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

The Frost Iowa "Bigger, Stronger" message sucks, but is true.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#6 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17193 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

I would have liked to have seen AM make more plays with his feet in the first half

#7 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9362 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

I would have liked to have seen AM make more plays with his feet in the first half

I would have liked to see Chinander make a fucking defensive adjustment when Iowa was running the same God damn outside stretch play over and over -- to the same side. My brother, who is a dumb shit when it comes to football, would even say, "I bet they run that same running play to the right side again."  And yet, our highly paid defensive staff can't figure it out.

Run fits have been terrible all year.  No improvement from the start of the season to the end. 

Christ on a God damn Ritz cracker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users