Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

well, NU managed to win an old fashioned big ten rock fight

weather made it very difficult to throw the ball with any consistency for either team, so early on this one was looking like it was going to be a running game/defense game, which probably favored MSU

overall, Neb got outyarded, gave up more first downs, were out-rushed, were out-passed, had a worse third down conversion rate, fumbled something like 5 times, and finished even in the turnover department

so, htf did they win? 

they won by being opportunistic, and generally winning the field position and special teams

(btw, they honor foltz and sadler before kickoff and then the only points scored in the game are fgs?  hmmmm)

I thought AM looked off right from the beginning, regardless of the wind. 

I thought the playcalling was a little suspect by SF.  I realize that he had to toss prob half or more of his playbook after seeing the gusts and swirling wind in the stadium, but he should have been better prepared for this possibility, imo.  I thought we'd see more of the QB run game, or maybe more short quick throws like slants and curls and in/out etc but maybe Spielman's absence played a factor in that as well (again, should have been better prepared, as JD was out of practice all week). 

it's definitely a concern that some of our players appear to have a difficult time getting separation from coverage.  but then again we did have some wide open guys that AM either missed or the wind made his passes sail or otherwise be off target

Oz ran hard, put up better numbers against the #1 rush defense in the nation than most RBs have all season, and that was with a stacked box because of the weather. 

defensively, I was waiting all game for the blackshirts to make MSU's horrid offense look amazing, and while there were definitely some coverage and run fit busts, for the most part they contained MSU.  we're probably lucky that MSU didn't run more between the tackles and/or run their QB more

shout out to special teams for not only not shitting the bed but basically winning the game.  Pickering with 3 field goals including 2 that were his career longest at the time?  47 yard game winner in swirling wind and for the first time in the kids life he kicks in the snow?  kick and punt teams were decent aside from Stan's botched punt return.  hell Pickering even got a touchback on a kickoff into the wind. 

NU made plays when it counted, and were generally patient (both coaches and players) in a tight game

(oh and the refereeing was horrendous all game, on both sides)

tough to grade/judge the offense with such a limited playbook, but you have to like how they managed to move the ball at times against the best defense that they've seen other than Michigan's.  also tough for the same reasons in regards to the defense, but you still have to stop the other team (or let them stop themselves). 

it was a good time for senior safeties Reed and Neal to put together the best games of their Husker careers.  Reed had a hell of a game and I bet he gets a blackshirt this week.  Neal also played solid.  LBs again I thought appeared to be a weak link.  secondary played decent enough.  AM had an off day, I actually wondered when the game started if he was a little banged up as he seemed to be wearing a heavier knee brace... Stan was patient and then made a big play when the team needed it.  OL played decent against a great defensive front 7.  Oz and Mo ran well enough when given the chance.  WRs and TEs needed to help more both getting open and catching but also blocking.  offensive coaching I was not impressed with, there's been issues on occasion all season and hopefully SF learns and grows from this year as well.  defensively we saw very little substitution all game outside of the DL, that has to change moving forward. 

big final game of the season coming up.  it will be senior day at home for Iowa, but this will be NU's bowl game for their season, and for some of these seniors, they've never won against Iowa (so sad to type that).  Iowa just boatraced Illinois, which in and of itself is not particularly impressive, but it will be interesting to see how that game influences their preparation this week.  Iowa has had an up and down season as well, and really at this point it's anybody's guess as to what will happen this Friday.  If Iowa gets their shit together and plays a complete game, NU could get blown out.  But the reverse is also true. 

I think there's some players who don't like each other on either side of the ball in this one, so it will be interesting to see what gets said in the media this week and how things go once the ball is kicked off. 

as for the future, I'll write more after the season, but I've been wondering if missing a bowl might actually be a good thing for this staff and team.  they've been through a lot, and I'm not sure that an extra few weeks of bowl practices is really going to help the non-seniors all that much, especially if the tradeoff is the staff can focus more on recruiting for a few weeks.  they've been playing catch up on recruiting ever since they came on board, having to assemble a full class late in the cycle and then being behind on communication and evaluation on all later recruiting classes.  I feel bad for the seniors missing a bowl, but the staff needs to look at their roster and the results from the season and start to figure out what JUCOs/other recruits they need and what changes they need to make on the coaching/sheme/prep/offseason areas. 

am also hearing rumors that one or more players has also recently left the team or informed others of their intent to do so, all signs point to Lighborne moving on after the season (probably a good idea for him to go elsewhere to get his head right) but I'm also hearing Guy Thomas may have already left or is in the process of doing so (had lots of hopes for that kid, and he's only a redshirt frosh, but if he couldn't see snaps over a true frosh in Tannor or a late season defense position switch of Domann, then he's going to have a tough time beating those guys out plus additional recruits next year and the years after.  have also heard he's been homesick since he first set foot on campus and has been on the fence about leaving the entire time.  I'm sure there will be others as well)

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:12 PM

You always hear about how that extra month of practice for a bowl game is good but think I agree with you on hitting the recruiting trail.. Sitting around 20 commits right now and at a top 20 class. Concentrate on finishing the recruiting period with a bang and maybe get close to top 10 class with right bunch of kids. Need to use the video of the Kentucky player as a recruiting tool. He was a little upset about being ranked and playing a ranked team and stadium was nowhere close to full. But then says Nebraska was 0-5 at one point and still played in front of huge crowd this past week.

I'm still not a fan of Chin but appears NU doesn't have the talent yet to be a great defense. And I'm not "sporting wood" like lots fans are after holding Michigan St. to 6 points. 

The future does appear bright with Adrian, Mo and Spielman on the offensive side. Need to get linemen on both sides of the ball and some lb'ers who can make big plays. (Yes I'm talking about some 41's with a misdemeanor or 2 on their record.)

You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

#3 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

agree on practice.  the kids who actually need the practice time are either hurt (backups, frosh, etc like JUCO LB Honas, but also players like CJ Smith, CamRon Jones, WIldeman, Jurgens, Rogers, etc) and there's really no point, imo, to a bunch more practices with the departing seniors.  again, it would have been nice to send the seniors off with a bowl game, but this team also didn't have a bye week and is banged up (as are most or all teams this time of year) and probably need some time off.  personally I don't see the point in more practice reps for D Young at LB, 3 seniors at safety, etc.  we need backups like Raridon, Hixon, little Farniok etc getting reps on the OL.  and what about RB?  Mo Washington is banged up, Oz and Wilbon are seniors and Bradley is in the doghouse or out of shape due to dealing with some family/personal issues, and Miles Jones is out after surgery.  there's going to be 3 or more new faces at RB by the start of fall camp, so three more weeks with the guys on the roster now isn't going to do much for the overall offensive development imo.  and with the early enrollees and JUCOs, this team will look different in the spring than it does now. 

this staff is still catching up from being behind in recruiting, these next few weeks will be their chance to get caught up and then get ahead a little bit.  2019 class needs to round out as best as possible due to the high numbers of kids they'll take (I've heard as high as 30) and because of how dire the needs are at several positions across the roster for both depth and starting talent.  (plus the schedule is very favorable next season and NU should be able to make a nice run if they can plug some holes/gaps this offseason)

we're going to see a few more players leave in the offseason, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a big class again for 2020 and there appears to be a better than usual crop of players in the border states for that year so SF and staff need to get that going as quickly as possible. 

even with a loss against Iowa this team would have finished 4-2 after starting 0-6 so theres a lot of progress and excitement to sell for this 2019 recruiting class. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#4 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100545 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:43 PM

Go figure on recruiting.  Myles Farmer seemingly comes ut of proverbial nowhere, so who knows what else is really cooking.

We are driving in the dark but I like the ride.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#5 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12894 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

So what's with the rumor that Frosty is going to visit Wandale?

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

no reason to give up on the kid just because he choose the hometown/homestate team in an announcement.  I know other schools aren't backing off of Neb's highly recruits. 

the smoke around what went down with Robinson may or may not be true, but right now, the kid hasn't signed any papers yet, so might as well do an in-home with him to see where he's at. 

imo, even if you ignore the potential/rumored bag man or cash payout or deal supposedly going to his dad's gym or whatever, it was an almost perfect storm of things for this kid... the home state team puts together a solid season for the first time in almost forever, and the team/offense he really wants to play for already has a stud returning for another year or two at the position that this kid wants to play (slot WR).  he was quoted before as saying there's a pull to be the home state kid who helps bring the local program back to competing. 

my guess is that in the end he signs with KY, as its always tough to beat out the local school for a kid, especially when the family is this involved and can see him play probably almost every game in the SEC, and if you throw money under the table into the equation, then he's definitely staying in the SEC.  lol

#7 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100545 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

Yogi Berra - "It ain't over 'til it's over".

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users