#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

not a whole lot to write about, I guess. 

nice that the team came out and took care of business early, so that the backups could get extensive playing time.  also seemed like SF called a bit of a different game on Sat, a lot of passes to try to score quickly, no QB runs to keep AM healthy, and seemed to generally avoid a lot of called run plays, I think to keep everyone healthy for both teams...

one thing of note, though, is that it looks like most of our backups sort of suck.  I realize that the playcalling might have been a factor, as SF didn't simply call run plays for the entire second half, but still, you'd expect a major P5 team's backups to still be able to beat the crap out of a mid-tier to shitty Div 1AA team's starters...

AM threw well, although again there were a couple of frosh mistakes/decisions. 

Oz ran well, and still surprises me with his speed this year. 

Mo Washington looked good.  Stan and JD looked good.  damn nice to see a PR td again finally. 

I thought the backup OL played decent

I hope it was rust and nerves playing at home but Vedral looked like shit throwing the ball.  there's going to be a big dropoff from AM the next year or two at least, if not his entire career in Lincoln.

nice to see lots of backups and walkons get some time on the field, and nobody hurt. 

I'm not looking forward to an angry OSU team coming off an embarrassing loss and a bye, though...

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98119 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:21 AM

Vedral concerned me.  Over-hyped?

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#3 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:50 PM

was there ever hype?  all I remember hearing was that it was awesome that he was offered a schollie to UCF since he was never going to get one from NU.  I don't think there was any talk of him being the successor to Milton or challenging him in any way, and I don't think he had overly impressive stats in his mopup duty last year at UCF, albeit as a true frosh. 

I think the excitement here was that they'd have another "coach" in the QB room, outside of practice, in summer workouts, etc that knew the offense and could help the current NU QBs pick up the new offensive schemes and playcalls, etc

right now I'm not sure who is better between vedral and bunch, but NU is in trouble if either one of them have to play for any significant amount of time (see the Troy game for reference), and that's a concern for next year and possibly the year after as well.  NU has McCaffrey signed as a QB and it looks like he'll enroll early, but I'm guessing the staff will do everything they can to redshirt him next season so that there's 2 years between he and AM, plus I'm hoping that Vedral/Bunch improve enough to keep a true frosh from beating them out (again).  then NU signs that kid from Alabama Smothers or whatever his name is, who appears to be a better QB prospect than McCaffrey. 

regardless, thus far with what I've seen from Bunch (troy game) and Vedral (B-C game and last year at UCF), I'm very concerned about our backup QBs...

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#4 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98119 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

Not the hype out of high school (he's no Danny Woodhead), the hype coming here of he being a seamless put-him-in-play-in-the-"system".  Spring game performance - he was 4 out of the 4.  B-C performance looked shaky, and maybe not even to Bunch's performance this season.  Backup QB is a valid point of concern.

The starting QB however - how can you believe he's just a freshman?  Definitely worth the sleep it cost Frost to snag him.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users