#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14527 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

I don't want to get into the whole jimmy and joes vs x's and o's argument, but I do want to touch on some things specific for this NU football team.

imo, offensive scheme can cover up talent deficiencies (to a certain degree).  examples are navy with the option/veer and Leach with the air raid.  do something different, recruit players for your offense, make it difficult to prepare for you, and you can cause damage on offense. 

but, defensively, I don't think there's a scheme that can overcome a lack of talent.  no matter what defense you play, you can either cover WRs/TEs, or you cant.  you can either withstand a solid OL and rushing attack up front, or you cant.  you either have LBs who can run and tackle and make plays, or you cant.  maybe, maybe, you can come up with some constant blitz scheme that is hugely high risk, but over time not even that would work. 

so, with this NU team, I think we're seeing this play out. 

offensively, NU lacks depth across the board, has a frosh QB, and a crappy OL.  but, they can move the ball and they can score points and they can generate big plays.  of course some of that is talent (AM, Mo, Stan, JD), but some of it is also scheme to create those one on one matchups and get people open

defensively, I don't think NU has a AM/Mo/Stan/JD type of player, and it shows.  and even if they did, opposing offenses can scheme away from NU's defensive strength, negating it.  NU doesn't have good coverage personnel, they lack speed and athleticism at S and ILB/OLB, and it shows in busted assignments and poor angles and missed tackles and poor pursuit. 

the offense will continue to improve with more reps. 

the defense will only improve once they get better athletes

I'm hoping we see more things like the staff taking a player like Breon Dixon and moving him to OLB.  It sounds like they're doing something similar with Cam Jurgens, who, btw, I think someone mentioned at fall camp that the kid was up to 6-4 270 lbs.  that's not a TE anymore, that's an OG.  well, not really, apparently that's an OC.  I could see him being 285 or bigger by next year's fall camp, the kid is strong, athletic, has good feet, is mobile, etc, and will probably make an excellent OC.  let's hope it plays out that way. 

now, defensively, the staff needs more players like Cam Taylor.  and I hope to see him eventually starting at CB opposite of Bootle this season. 

so far this season the offense is getting out of their own way enough to win games, but the defense is a sieve, and isn't getting any turnovers, and I don't think it's going to get any better until there's another influx of new players and another year of S&C development for the young ones that are already here.

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97994 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

A Hurry Up offense always places greater stress on the D, and requires defensive depth.  And Personnel across the board that has bought in and knows the system.  Don't think that's the case here yet.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#3 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14527 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:10 AM

I think they've bought into the system, but all accounts this defensive system is more player-friendly and is waaaaay more fun by allowing the players to attack instead of read and react

I think the problem is talent and lack of depth, but also the upperclassmen, who normally would have had 3-4 years in the defense, are now on their third or fourth defensive scheme and thus are hesitant or reading wrong keys or filling the wrong gaps or are thinking too much making them look even more slow.  and yet then I look at someone like Tre Neal, who had 2 years in this defensive scheme but imo isn't exactly looking like some stud playmaker at safety, he looks like a liability in coverage, slow and takes bad angles, etc, just like half or more of the guys on the defense. 

and the problem of depth is something that's been going on for years since TO's players left the program under Solich.  there are so many ramifications for lack of depth (decreased competition in practice, shittier looks from the scout team, backups not ready to contribute, team not getting big leads to allow backups valuable playing time to develop and get experience, etc) and the biggest one this year is probably that many of the backups are NOT outperforming the starters in practice during the week, and thus the staff is hesitant to give them a lengthy shot in a game even when the starters are obviously struggling (hello D Young and L Jackson).  I'm hoping that as we get further into the season some of those backups will come along a bit more (hello Collin Miller and Cam Taylor and Caleb Tannor and D Williams) and we can see more rotation and better overall speed/ahleticism

but this isn't a 1 year fix, this is going to take some time to get more players in and get them all used to the scheme

another example is Stoltenberg, far from an ideal typical NT, but he was generally holding his own.  now he's out and Damion Daniels is in his first year of live game action and isn't in good enough shape for a ton of snaps, redshirt senior Newell was basically a noncontributor his entire career, so the staff has to move C Davis to NT, which also has trickle down affect on the DE snaps (now more work for Stille, Freedom, K Davis) and pretty soon they're all worn down at times in games. 

something that will be interesting to see is how the 4 game redshirt thing works out at the end of the season.  I think for a lot of these kids the staff may turn it into "early open tryouts" for next season by letting them all play the final 2-4 games especially on special teams and see who steps up in practice and games when given the opportunity.  not sure if the frosh safeties are both injured or what, but it would be nice to see another player or two similar to Cam Taylor on kick/punt coverage...

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#4 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:20 AM

Scrap the 3-4 scheme. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users