#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14490 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

yeah, this has been discussed ad nauseum all spring, all offseason, and now all fall camp, but why not...

What I recall reading is that QB coach verduzco has some actual metrics that he uses, including something like a 3 hour test that they take before fall ball and at the end of fall ball to test their knowledge of the offense, defensive alignments, where to go with the ball in those situations, etc; plus other stuff like charting drives in scrimmages, charting turnovers, production, etc in practice. 

anyway, the general fan/media consensus is that gebbia is the better thrower and a film/study junkie, while Martinez is the better runner and better overall athlete (and is already bigger and probably stronger)

SF has stated that the QB doesn't necessarily need to be a huge running threat or have 4.4 speed but instead someone who can pick up 4 yards or so when the situation/play calls for it, but more importantly, the QB has to make the correct decisions on the field, especially since they run a lot of RPOs (run/pass options) but also on the zone read, traditional/nontraditional option runs, and with multiple route combinations in the passing game. 

for me, I think that Gebbia's floor is higher (i.e. he'll make less mistakes) but that Martinez' ceiling is higher (he's capable of more)

I also think it would be tough to completely block out the thinking that while yes everyone wants to win right now, if they have a long leash and Martinez is the QB of the future, why not play him more now? 

for me, none of us have watched the practices to have any sort of a clue as to who performs better on a daily basis, who knows the offense better, who makes the proper decisions the most often, etc. 

but, I think that Martinez being better in the running game simply opens up more of the offense compared to Gebbia.  Gebbia can run all of the same plays, but would be a decoy more often than not, whereas I think Martinez is much more of a running threat that would cause problems for defenses and open up the other players to have more success.  I think that the offense and the playcalling is designed in such a way as NU doesn't have to have a super accurate passer, and I think that Martinez ability to possibly extend plays with his legs will be a big difference as well. 

also, seeing photos of the QBs in fall ball, Gebbia still seems damn skinny and seems to need to wind up his entire body to throw the ball while I think Martinez is already bigger and more put together and able to throw the ball more easily and take punishment better. 

either way, I think we'll see some mistakes since neither one has played a meaningful snap in over a year aside from a spring game or two.  what I think another difference might be, though, is that Martinez is confident in his ability to run, so when something isn't open, instead of throwing it away, he might be able to roll out and either pick up a few yards or hit a pass on a broken play that otherwise wouldn't have happened. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9353 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

Either way, NU is poised to start a redshirt or true frosh at the QB position. Not an ideal situation, but it is what Frost has inherited.

Maybe both will play.  I think Gebbia has more upside, but your last sentence about Martinez being able to extend plays with his feet is a solid point.

#3 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20962 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

Speed kills in this offense.  It will be Martinez sooner or later.  Probably sooner.  

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#4 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97909 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

I like Gebbia, but Martinez will probably be a better overall fit for the offense.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#5 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12832 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

While Martinez may be the better runner (and I think we all can appreciate that!), Frosty's offense relies on blink-think.  It would appear Gebbia has - for the moment - the edge.  Given that, I would expect Geb to start, with Mart getting serious game time reps, like TO used to do.  If Mart clicks, I would agree that it will go his way given his inferred capability to absorb the rigors of B1G play better due to physical composition.

Turnovers though, will kill any offense.  If Martinez tosses INT's - he may well not see much PT until he gets that corrected.

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users