Nebraska landed the first defensive back of its growing 2019 recruiting class Monday afternoon with the verbal commitment of a coveted prospect from SEC country.
Quinton Newsome announced his intentions to join Nebraska on Twitter one week after flying to Lincoln with his parents on an unofficial visit. Given a four-star rating by ESPN and three-stars from Rivals and 247Sports, the Suwanee (Ga.) North Gwinnett standout chose the Huskers over fellow finalists Auburn and Georgia.
"I'm blessed to say that I have made my final decision and I will continue my academic and athletic career at THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA!! GO BIG RED," Newsome posted on Twitter.
Newsome marks the 16th commitment in NU's 2019 class and fifth since July 19. His mother, Kimberly, told The World-Herald last month the visit changed how the family perceived NU compared to schools closer to home.
"The coaching staff, that's one of the coaching staffs that I wouldn't mind leaving my youngest kid with," Kimberly Newsome said. "This is my baby. He will be far away from home if he decides to go to school there. I can honestly say that I will be comfortable with his decision to attend Nebraska if that's what his choice would be.
Newsome's highlight film gives a taste of why nearly two dozen schools have offered him scholarships. He sheds blocks and is a sure tackler. He displays quick reactions while playing corner and safety for North Gwinnett and an ability to lay down big hits in the run game. He finished his junior year with 49 tackles, 10 defended passes and an interception for Georgia's Class 7A state champions.?