#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

Frost is supposed to meeting with all of the players on the team one-on-one over the next several weeks

I assume part of these meetings will be to discuss with each kid where they stand on the depth chart and what the outlook is for their future in Lincoln, including how they fit into the new schemes. 

now that spring ball is over, the staff has some experience with these kids and probably even a little bit of film to look at from spring scrimmages, as well as having seen in person their work ethic and attitude. 

here's my initial guess as to likely candidates who will leave for better playing opportunity elsewhere, or are simply encouraged to make a change due to lack of fit:

FB Ben Miles - tough luck for this kid, recruited to a completely different offense.  SF just simply doesn't use a FB in this offense, and I don't see Miles being able to function as a TE, and simply isn't needed as a "big RB" in this offense, either.  for his sake it's probably best to find a team that actually utilizes a FB

DB Avery Anderson - I've put him on this list last year, I believe.  he's now bounced around between CB and S and still hasn't cracked the two deep.  he's a Jr now and I expect him to be passed up by most or all of the incoming frosh DBs.  I think if he wants to see the field, he's going to have to transfer to JUCO or a lower division

RB Tre Bryant - I have to seriously wonder if the staff will put him on medical scholarship.  the video he posted of him running looked painful, both figuratively and literally.  isn't he something like 6 months out from surgery?  shouldn't he be able to do some light running/jogging without pain or a limp?  remember that the previous staff almost hinted that he had some sort of degenerative disorder in his knees... that's not good for Div IA football.  I doubt he'll get pushed out, but we've seen it before where a staff wont clear a kid to play and so he transfers somewhere else

RB Ozigbo/Wilbon - both are seniors, and if they have a desire or belief that they can play at the next level, one or both of them might want to transfer somewhere else (lower division) where they can get the majority of the carries to show their stuff.  I think Bell has passed them both and I think with more reps Jaylen Bradley will pass them as well, plus RB/WR Miles Jones and RB Washington arrive this summer.  I just don't see Ozigbo having the speed that this staff wants at the RB position, and the same could probably be said for Wilbon.  plus, iirc, Ozigbo got himself in the doghouse with the previous staff on more than one occasion for either his attitude or work ethic or pouting about playing time or whatever.  if he pulls something like that again, I doubt SF and staff will tolerate it. 

LB Avery Roberts - he's already been called out in the media by the coaching staff for his weight and his work ethic.  I don't think they're happy with him.  I've heard rumors he may have a bit of an attitude problem and/or motivation/work ethic issue, and that it was an issue last year as well (overweight, not working hard in weight room or at practice, etc).  kid has talent, but it seems as if he doesn't want to work as hard as the others and if he has an attitude problem I can see him being encouraged to find a new home for his sake and the team's

LBs Alexander, Jefferson, King or someone else - I just have a hard time believing that all of these young LBs are going to stick with the program.  there's just too many bodies fighting for too few spots, and with Breon Dixon transferring in and imo looking like the best OLB on the roster, and highly touted OLB recruit Tannor coming this summer, I think there's going to be some good talent buried on the depth chart that might want to leave for greener pastures elsewhere.  then there's a Sr like King who's simply never really contributed, so maybe he'll go somewhere else to get one last shot at playing time, or maybe graduates and goes off scholarship. 

OL Jalen Barnett - a highly ranked recruit who appears to have simply not panned out.  I've always heard that he's had some weight issues ever since he arrived on campus, and if he cant get in shape he'll never be able to play OL in SF's offense.  I could see him being told as much and deciding to leave.

TEs Englehaupt, Snyder - neither has really seen the field much, and both seem to have the body type/size/athleticism/skill set of a more traditional in-line TE, whereas SF seems to prefer what amounts to a "bigger WR" as a TE in his system.  Stoll seems to be leading the pack at TE right now, with RFr Allen and Rafdal behind, and incoming recruit from Beatrice Jurgens coming in as well as a better fit.  I just don't see either of them playing.  Englehaupt is a NE kid, though, so I'm not so sure he'd leave. 

and of course, there's always some sort of surprise player leaving.  plus there's always a good chance at more attrition after a coaching change, especially with a change to offensive scheme. 

I think NU needs to lose 3 players to get back to the 85 schollie limit before fall camp starts, I don't think that will be a problem and I'd actually expect 5 or more to depart this offseason. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Ben Miles has announced his release from scholarship and intent to transfer due to it being no longer a schematic fit for him. 

no surprise since SF doesn't use a fullback. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#3 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12871 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

No fullback is a sad thing. The Makovika bro's were awesome.

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#4 Gargantuan Vermillion

Gargantuan Vermillion

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8291 posts
  • Interests:rock climbing, Huskers, running
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:31 AM

Eh ... They're just fat running backs.
Let this abomination unto the Lord begin!

#5 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

sounds like OG Bryan Brokop is leaving the program. 

he hasn't been around that long, but apparently long enough to be passed on the depth chart by last year's OL recruits and probably one or two of this year's recruits plus maybe a walkon or two.  sounds like he was never going to see the field and will look for another school to play at. 

iirc, that leaves NU just 1 schollie over the limit they need to hit before fall camp starts. 

#6 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12871 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Eh ... They're just fat running backs.

Fast and tough tight ends

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#7 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

keyan Williams leaving the NU program.  a bit of a surprise since I thought he might stick around Lincoln while his dad took a year off from coaching, but I'm guessing he noticed that he's not going to see the field much next season even with SF running mostly 3 WR sets, as he's probably behind a bunch of guys like Morgan, Spielman, Lindsey, McQuitty, M Williams, and probably will be behind the newcomers in Woodyard, McGriff, Watts, etc as well.  I wonder if his dad is in line for a new job somewhere and his son will be looking to transfer there?  otherwise I'd guess he's going to look at a smaller school to get some playing time his last year.  he wasn't on schollie, though, so that still leaves NU with some needed attrition to get to the 85 limit by fall camp.  I'm sure there's others who haven't finished meeting with SF and staff about their status, and/or they're waiting for finals to be over to explore their options at other schools. 

#8 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98119 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

keyan Williams leaving the NU program.  a bit of a surprise since I thought he might stick around Lincoln while his dad took a year off from coaching, but I'm guessing he noticed that he's not going to see the field much next season even with SF running mostly 3 WR sets, as he's probably behind a bunch of guys like Morgan, Spielman, Lindsey, McQuitty, M Williams, and probably will be behind the newcomers in Woodyard, McGriff, Watts, etc as well.  I wonder if his dad is in line for a new job somewhere and his son will be looking to transfer there?  otherwise I'd guess he's going to look at a smaller school to get some playing time his last year.  he wasn't on schollie, though, so that still leaves NU with some needed attrition to get to the 85 limit by fall camp.  I'm sure there's others who haven't finished meeting with SF and staff about their status, and/or they're waiting for finals to be over to explore their options at other schools. 

He got a lot of support from teammates, even outside the WR room when he announced he's leaving.  Good kid, but like you said, not much of a shot to see much time on the field.  Wishing him the best, as he was classy in his exit.

Dad's a good coach, but his background might scare off some prospective employers, don't you think?.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#9 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14537 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

in the past several weeks, we've seen the following players retire or move on from NU:

Michael Decker C

Andrew Ward ILB

Willie Hampton ILB

also rumors that TE Matt Snyder is leaving the program

out of those 4, Decker probably would have been the starting C for the next two years, depending on his recovery from injury, but he decided to retire from football instead, the others are unlikely to have contributed much this next season and are most likely moving on to find more playing time elsewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users