#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

SF and staff have now secured 3 new commits after their first week on the job.  not too bad. 

they've also sent out tons of new offers, and the big theme of most of the offers is speed, speed, and more speed. 

additionally, in a breath of fresh air, NU is hitting the JUCO ranks hard with offers.  RB coach held used to be a JUCO head coach so I'm sure he has a ton of contacts.  It also just simply makes sense considering some of the top JUCO programs are nearby Nebraska.  Plus, those kids have matured and have more tape to watch to get a sense of their ability to fit and contribute and continue to develop, and almost all of them have spent 1-3 years away from home in some shithole small town, so they're used to being on their own, and they'll think Lincoln is like New York compared to where they've been living for many of them. 

So far the recruits include a top ranked S from Florida, a top JUCO WR who runs a 4.3 40, and a TE/WR hybrid from Florida. 

There's tons of offers out to kids in Florida, which makes sense considering SF and staff coached in the state for the past 2 years.   I also think there's a lot of under the radar kids all across the state, and tons of speed. 

NU has also lost a few commits from the MR era, which is expected.  it can be argued for all recruits whether they're truly committing to the school or to the coaching staff, but it is what it is, and many of these top recruits have been developing relationships with other coaching staffs for 2 or more years, so in many cases it will be too difficult for SF and staff to make up that ground and overcome a more familiar relationship those recruits have with other staffs. 

but, they have developed their own recruiting board and recruiting relationships, and that will pay off as they move forward. 

In each of the previous coaching transitions, it can probably be argued that recruiting suffered a bit, and that is probably to be expected in this case as well.  When BC took over, he was coming from the pros and had 0 info on prep recruits, plus had to hire a staff so was basically starting from scratch, and he had to change his offensive philosophy.  When BP took over, he was a first time head coach, so he had to assemble a staff and start from scratch with developing a recruiting strategy, targets, develop relationships, etc.  When MR took over, he mostly brought his OSU staff, and they should have been more prepared, but they were changing the offense, again. 

This time around, I'm hopeful we'll see a better transition class.  SF has now brought over his entire UCF staff, and they've all been recruiting together for 2 years now, and have established relationships with both recruits and schools and coaches.  I think we'll also see them target JUCOs in this class more than normal, first to help with the offensive transition (think speedy WRs and RBs) but also to plug some holes in the depth chart (DB maybe).  Misses at the JUCO level don't hurt as bad because those kids only eat a scholarship for 2-3 years instead of 4-5 for a miss at the prep level. 

The staff hit the ground running, doing tons of in home visits and extending offers, and meeting with current commits and setting up official visits. 

Right now it looks like they've done their work to keep many of the current commits in the class (Jurgens, Mapeiu, Farniok, Pickering, Wildeman) but it looks like WR Cam Brown may be leaving soon, and WR Moore and CB Bookie have already decommited. 

It's also nice to see the staff focus on the state of NE and the surrounding areas.  The previous 2 staffs talked a lot about the 500 mi radius but then it sounds like perhaps there was some admin stuff going on that prevented them from actually doing that.  One was apparently the staff being told that JUCOs aren't a fit because of academic progress rating by the football program (wtf?) and another was that either Billy Devaney and/or Diaco basically forced a hard line regarding numbers at positions as well as very specific measurables (height, weight, armspan, etc) for positions.  That type of thinking is what resulted in top NE recruit Bryson Williams not even getting an offer, and instead committing to Wisconsin.  SF and staff have made up a lot of ground there, though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay home instead now. 

Considering the size of the class, and the almost guarantee that we'll see some kids leave in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see this class approach the max of 25, although I think 20-22 is more likely.  I think we'll see a breakdown similar to this:

QB - 1

I think it's smart to grab a QB in every class regardless, and it's doubly important in this class for SF to get someone he thinks has the best skillset to run his offense moving forward.  I think that both Gebbia and POB have the ability to execute his offense even if they might not be the biggest running threat, but you still need to have more QBs in the room and on the roster.  NU just hosted a top dual threat QB in Adrian Martinez who is currently committed to Tenn but I think he'll flip this week and then sign early and enroll early in Lincoln. 

RB - 1-2

Injuries hit at the RB spot pretty much every year, and we don't know when or if Bryant will recover from his knee surgery/issues.  I think SF also likes more speed and versatility at the RB position in his offense, as they often will flex or motion out as WRs, or even simply line up as WRs. 

WR - 4-5

Depth is an issue here, with basically only 4 scholarship WRs returning (Morgan, Spielman, Lindsey), and one of them was out all season after knee surgery (McQuitty).  They need to get some bodies in the program for depth, plus SF likes to run 3 and 4 WR sets a lot.  They've already landed a JUCO here which helps tremendously, and there's still the possibility that KJJR returns to Lincoln as well. 

TE - 1-2

SF's offense seems to utilize a more athletic TE as a receiving threat rather than as a blocker, so I'm not sure how NU's current TEs on the roster fit with that, although I think last year's redshirts in Allen and Rafdal should work.  Both are taller guys who are good athletes who excelled at BB as well, not sure on their speed, though. 

OL - 1-2

NU only has 1 OL commit for the class in Farniok, who is slated to play C.  NU has a lot of younger OL in the system right now, so I don't think huge numbers are needed here, but it would be nice to land an OT or two.  They've targeted a couple of JUCO OTs which makes sense, but not sure if they're late to the game in that regard or not. 

DL - 1-2

The good news is that new DC Chinander also runs a 3-4, so in general I think the recruiting board doesn't have to be overhauled.  More good news is that he likes an attacking 3-4 and thus they want a lot of speed on the field.  Depth at DL actually isn't that bad right now, so I think they'll look at a couple of local prospects (in state Williams and mizzou target Daniel Carson) and try to fill out the class that way.  Mapeiu and Wildeman are already committed and seem like good prospects. 

LB - 1-2

Lots of young RBs on the roster, but I'm not really sure what we have at all, or who fits where (ILB, OLB, DE) especially if Chinander wants more speed and more attacking.  I think the staff will target the best they can get at the LB spot and then see what happens in the spring

DB - 3-5

NU needs DBs.  Badly.  At one point in the season NU had only 3 CBs they were comfortable playing, and even had to move one of them to be the starter at S because so many S were hurt.  NU returns Lee, Jackson, Bootle at CB, and Williams, Reed, Domann, Dismuke at S (also Butler and Anderson are on scholarship rotating between S and CB).  Hopefully Domann will recover from surgery in time to be full speed for spring ball.  NU needs an upgrade at CB, though, and are targeting maybe the top JUCO CB in this class.  They've also now secured a commit from a florida S prospect (although academics might be an issue).  They've targeted a top S prospect from texas as well.  Both for this class and moving forward I think the skill position recruiting will be in good hands considering their ties and relationships in TX and FL.  It seems like it's always easy to find WRs, DBs, and RBs in those 2 states. 

Overall, SF and staff appears to be pretty well organized for their first week, and are working hard on recruiting prior to the early signing day and prior to the dead period. 

The other good thing about this transition is that there's pretty much unprecedented coaching turnover at top schools this season.  SF and staff have made it a point to target decommits and current commits at schools such as UF, FSU, and Tenn.  There's going to be a lot more top recruits still available due to all of these coaching changes. 

The early signing date definitely changes things, but it's also the first year it's available, so it will be a little different for everyone, including established head coaches.   It will both hurt and help SF and NU this year, as they don't have time to establish relationships with top recruits who want to commit and enroll early, but those kids will "go off the board" if they sign elsewhere, and the landscape will change for all schools since the recruiting pool will shrink after many kids sign early.  They'll at least know who is still available and might have legit interest in the program, though.  I also like the potential this staff will have to do some work in Jan before the standard Feb signing date, that's 3-4 weeks to finalize the class. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12894 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

I will not cut Rilsdorf one inch on recruiting. How can the huskers still need 4-5 WRs? Not a chance in hell if he was a decent recruiter for his offense. Riley was Callafraud-lite.

Need more OL also, but given the crappy coaching, getting only 5 to play a game is gross negligence, there may be some unpolished talent so probably don't need more than 3.

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#3 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

Hoping Williams flips from wisky and think there is decent chance if NU stays on him. This is just my opinion but I think Mapieu is a reach. Have spoken to people who have watched him play and have not been overwhelmed by his play at York. I think Frost will hit the in-state kids hard but how many in state kids can he offer per year and if he wants them to walk-on how many will take other D1 offer (free school) over pay for schooling? That is a fine line that Osborne was able to walk but with the NFL teams now having the ability to find kids at Northwest Academy of Pyro Tech it isn't a sure thing anymore. 

You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

#4 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:54 AM

agree on Williams.  I think SF and staff flip him.  He wasn't born and raised in Neb so not sure how much he grew up wanting to play for the Huskers or not, but regardless I'm sure it hurts to have the hometown school tell you there's no room for you in their program meanwhile a top rival who's been winning the division thinks youre  worthy of a scholarship... I think NU is looking good here and I think just yesterday I heard Wisky just offered a new DT and people think it's because they're planning on losing Williams. 

as for Mapieu, what I've heard is that he's very raw, and that Williams is the better player right now, but that Mapieu might have the higher ceiling once he's in the program, with S&C and development and coaching.  we'll see, I guess.  he did have an offer from UCLA amongst others as well.

nice recruiting season when you've got 2 decent DL right in your own backyard.  Mapieu almost certainly projects to NT in the 3-4, and I think Williams could play DE

agree as well on the walkon program. 

it's easy for casual fans to sit back and say NU needs to get back to the old walkon program, etc, but it just isn't feasible in today's CFB landscape.  tuition costs have increased, and there's now a handful of additional schools in the Dakota's and nearby that didn't exist in TO's days.  Those schools are offering full rides to Neb kids, who'd have to turn down free school to pay their own way and walkon at NU.  not all families can afford that, plus if the kid is on the fence, he has to decide between potentially playing right away and more often vs putting in his 2 or more years as a reserve at NU before getting a chance at playing time. 

what will be interesting is this week before the dead period with SF and staff coaching UCF for 3 days this week while also recruiting for NU.  I can see either side of the argument but it is what it is and it seems they're making the most of it.  my guess is we'll see a lot of focus on the florida recruits since they're in Orlando and can drive out for in home visits after practices...

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#5 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

Frost just got 4* dual threat QB Adrian Martinez away from Tennessee.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

yep, very nice pickup.  apparently their top priority for this recruiting class.  supposedly QB coach Verduzi (sp) offered him within hours of the SF to NU announcement.  he then visited him, then they hosted him for an official visit, then SF flew out for his in home after UCF bowl practice to seal the deal. 

top ten dual threat QB, only potential issue is that he didn't play his senior year due to rotator cuff surgery, so he needs to knock some rust off, but he might also actually be under-rated because of that. 

he'll sign early and enroll early and be in the mix for spring ball, which is huge.  I actually don't see him winning the job over either Gebbia or POB, but it's nice to see the staff get the QB they want for their system asap in the first recruiting class. 

now to close out with some more WRs, DBs, and some other spots.

also notice that they hosted a huge walkon event last night as well (all of this during their UCF bowl prep) which has already paid dividends with a couple of walkon commits. 

SF will make Nebraska football great again. 

#7 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

Didn't we try a Martinez before.. if I remember correctly he lost us a few games cause he was soft

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#8 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Didn't we try a Martinez before.. if I remember correctly he lost us a few games cause he was soft

It's pronounced different. Taylor was Mar-teen-ez this is Martin-ez.

#9 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Bryson Williams tweets that he is staying with his commitment to Wisky. 

Frost has added 5 preferred walk-ons after last nights "homegrown" event.

#10 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

NU got a commitment from a JUCO DB this weekend that plans to sign this Wed and enroll early.  Listed as a S but can also play CB.  apparently was a top recruit 2 years ago out of the prep ranks but didn't qualify, originally signed with UF, then signed with UF again but decommitted due to their coaching change.  has 3 years to play 3.  nice pickup at a position of need.  good to land a JUCO DB that has the potential to be in the mix for spring ball. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or more commits from this weekend as well. 

also, I think the dead period starts today, with no in-home visits or official visits allowed, although I think limited phone calls can be made plus all the tweeting you can handle.  I think it runs until after the first week of Jan. 

It will be interesting to see who signs everywhere this Wed for the early signing period. 

#11 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

Micah Parsons still has us in his final 6.  Will be committing on Wednesday and signing that day.  I doubt we get him, but would be Yuge!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#12 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

no way Parsons ends up in Lincoln.  same for Bookie, imo.  also very likely that one of our current WR commits, Cameron Brown, will decommit and sign with OSU this Wed instead. 

first off, the early signing period changes how recruiting works for those schools undergoing coaching transitions.  If the new staff hadn't already established a relationship with a kid, it's basically impossible to do so in 1-2 weeks, especially compared to the months or years that another school's staff has put in on the same kid.  Before, you had until Feb to make your pitch and establish the relationships, etc, but now I think we'll see a lot of these kids go ahead and pull the trigger early to secure their spot in the class, especially at many of the "top" schools.  of course every year there are kids that are a "must take" for every school, and those kids can wait as long as they want.   This isn't a big deal for those kids who are committing to "the school" instead of "the coaches" but aside from the handful of tradition rich programs and those currently highly rated and those big name schools with a huge local recruiting base, many programs don't have that benefit. 

second, I'm just guessing here, but I think the "recruiting message" that was being used by the previous staff maybe centered a bit more on "I'll coach you up and get you into the league so you can get your payday" instead of a "come play here and be a part of a great team where we'll work hard to win championships" sort of message.  I think this may be particularly true in regards to the skill position recruiting.  imo, I think certain recruiters used this pitch to lure talented kids out of possibly economic disadvantaged areas and once those position coaches were gone, they weren't hearing the same message from the new staff, so moved on to a program where they could play more as an individual and jump to the NFL asap rather than be part of a team. 

in regards to the first point, it's no coincidence that many of the new offers by SF and staff have been to kids that they had previously contacted and had recruited while at UCF. 

it's also quite obvious that they targeted several prospects that were previously or currently committed to other schools who had undergone coaching changes.  smart move as they might be able to enter the picture on even grounds with some of those kids

it also makes sense that SF and staff will go after kids they had evaluated previously, especially considering they're bringing their entire staff with them.  they also know what kind of athlete and talent and character they want for their schemes on both sides of the ball and in their program. 

as for the second point, while I would like to see NU land a class full of 4 and 5 star talent, if those kids are only playing for themselves, they'd wash out of Lincoln under SF and staff, imo, or they'd be a lockerroom issue while there.  plus, it seems like SF and staff aren't exactly going after the bottom of the barrel in regards to recruits.  They're targeting top ten position JUCO players, and top 300 overall recruits at a number of positions. 

one good thing about the early Wed signing period is that even if some prospects sign elsewhere, at least the staff can take them off the board and not waste their time recruiting them when they have no real interest in NU.  It also helps to determine which of your current commits is serious about NU or might be looking around.  remember that the early signing date isn't just for early enrollees, the regular graduates can sign this week just to get their recruiting over with (or as I said previously, in some cases I think they'll sign early to secure their spot in the school of their choice for fear of possibly being cut loose later when the program finds a higher rated recruit to take their spot)

NU could have 6-10 recruits sign this week, I think.  and a handful are early enrollees as well, which will be a huge help for spring ball with a new playbook on both sides of the ball. 

here's who I think will sign this Wed:

QB Martinez (Jan enrollee)

TE/OLB/Ath Jurgens

DE Wildeman (maybe early enrollee)

K Pickering (I think an early enrollee)

DE/OLB Alston

DB Williams (JUCO early enrollee)

WR Woodyard (JUCO early enrollee)

WR/TE McGriff

OL Farniok (early enrollee)

maybe DT Mapeiu (might not sign early due to academics)

#13 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Wherever Parsons lands, it won't be tOSU. They are off the board after a recruiting violation.

https://www.thelante...-micah-parsons/

-Thomas Jefferson

#14 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

Also, Word is that McGriff is a possible flip to Tennessee.

Edit:  Mistaken.  I think that Woodyard may flip to Tennessee.

-Thomas Jefferson

#15 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17227 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Wherever Parsons lands, it won't be tOSU. They are off the board after a recruiting violation.

those cheating fuckers are at it again.

#16 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

Greg Bell is also signing.  Between NU, Tennessee and Boise St.

-Thomas Jefferson

#17 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14599 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

yeah, 3-5 kids all from the same JUCO visited TN together last weekend, including Bell and Woodyard who visited Lincoln together the weekend prior. 

it's always an issue when a school promises a group of teammates that they can all come on board together, but at the end of the day, I'm guessing each JUCO kid will decide what's best for them personally.  I don't know the depth chart at TN but NU only returns 3 schollie WR with game experience, so I'd think there'd be a shot for early playing time here. 

regardless, I could see Bell and Woodyard both signing with TN, or both signing with NU, but more likely it's that Woodyard signs with NU and Bell signs with TN. 

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow. 

#18 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

those cheating fuckers are at it again.

Once an $EC coach, always an $EC coach.

-Thomas Jefferson

#19 5thYearFreshman

5thYearFreshman

mAd Fat chiCk killA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7153 posts
  • Interests:Watching this place meltdown and pretending that these aren't the same people that make fun of people doing it at the printer site
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

Penn State... He went from recruiting violations to sphincter violations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users