Photo
- - - - -

What if Scott Frost doesn't choose to come to Nebraska?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9720 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

This has been on my mind as to what course should Nebraska take if Scott Frost decides to stay put or go elsewhere.

Go offer Patterson lots of money?

Go with another coach that runs the Spread offense.  Name?

Keep Riley and company hoping that with time the your kids will figure out the West coach offense and the 3-4 Defense.

Go with another West Coast Coach? Name?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

SF will be the next head coach. 

but, to play along, I'd say #2 has to be Campbell at ISU. 

Chip Kelly wont come, he doesn't want to recruit (a place like UCLA will be a better fit)

doubt Moos can convince Stoops to come out of retirement. 

no reason for Patterson to leave TCU.

same for Shaw at Stanford

considering the state of the program, NU cant roll the dice on a first year head coach, so up and coming coordinators like the PSU OC are not an option. 

I could actually see Charlie Strong doing decent in Neb, and I think he got a raw deal in TX

maybe Fuente at VT is another reasonable option. 

my guess, realistically:

1 SF

2 Campbell

3 Fuente

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#3 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

SF will be the next head coach. 

but, to play along, I'd say #2 has to be Campbell at ISU. 

Chip Kelly wont come, he doesn't want to recruit (a place like UCLA will be a better fit)

doubt Moos can convince Stoops to come out of retirement. 

no reason for Patterson to leave TCU.

same for Shaw at Stanford

considering the state of the program, NU cant roll the dice on a first year head coach, so up and coming coordinators like the PSU OC are not an option. 

I could actually see Charlie Strong doing decent in Neb, and I think he got a raw deal in TX

maybe Fuente at VT is another reasonable option. 

my guess, realistically:

1 SF
2 Campbell
3 Fuente

That would be my three too. The buyout for Campbell is huge so I think hes unlikely. I would also add the coach at Memphis to the list. Beyond that its bleak.
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#4 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9343 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Good list of top 3.

What about Mullen at Mississippi State?

#5 5thYearFreshman

5thYearFreshman

mAd Fat chiCk killA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7106 posts
  • Interests:Watching this place meltdown and pretending that these aren't the same people that make fun of people doing it at the printer site
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

I think Chip Kelly is going to end up at Florida.  Campbell would definitely have the kids ready to play which would be a huge improvement. 

I like Patterson now. I liked him when Riley was hired and I liked him when Pelini was hired.    

#6 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9720 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Okay, good choices.  One issue I see is that for the last three years Riley has been bringing in players for his version of the West Coast offense.  These coaches all Run the Spread.

I don't see where we have the athletes on Offense to go back to the spread, especially at QB and Running Back.  Some will say that Gebbia could play spread, but there is no assurance that he wouldn't bolt when Riley is fired.  Plus I question if he could put on the lbs to help him endure being a quarterback running the spread.

I am just very tired of switching back and forth on our offensive schema every time we get sick of our HC.

Solich was Option Spread.

Callahan was West coast

Pelini brought back the Spread

Riley brought back the WC.

Will people stop this cycle.

I just wish that it would be determined that Nebraska is a run first, spread offense school and stay that way.  

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#7 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

I see no reason that any of the current QBs on the roster couldn't actually excel in the spread offense, or any version of it. 

keep in mind that the spread doesn't *require* the QB run game... it's an added bonus.  besides, right now I think that either POB or Gebbia have at least enough mobility/athleticism/wheels to occasionally break off a 5-15 yard run to keep defenses honest.

imo, what's more important is accuracy throwing the ball. 

the spread is designed to spread (duh) out the defense and generally to get the ball into the hands of playmakers in space so that they can win one on one matchups. 

Wilbon I think would be decent in the spread.  he isn't the fastest tailback, but he has some moves in space, and is good catching the ball.  Tre Bryant would be good in any offense, imo.  and I think Bradley would look good in the spread as well.  

JD Spielman and Tyjon Lindsey should be praying for SF as the next head coach.  those guys will light it up in a spread offense with a QB who can deliver the ball to them. 

with the run pass option (RPO) it isn't just a zone read with the QB run game, nowadays its more the QB reading the defense and deciding whether to hand it off to the RB or throw a quick bubble screen or a quick out or in.  I'd feel good about any new coach being able to adjust their playcalling to suit the skills of the QBs NU has on the roster. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lee declare for the draft if there's a coaching change, though.  why stick around and risk being beaten out for the job?  I realize he hasn't looked amazing this year at all on film, but my guess is that he'll light it up in workouts and impress at least one or more NFL team into giving him a shot.  plus I could actually see him continuing to develop and being a backup QB in the NFL. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

Mullen at MSU?  I know his name will be in the mix for many openings, I just don't see it at NU for whatever reason.  I think he's a better fit in the SEC. 

as for Campbell's buyout, I know it's steep, something like 9.5 mil, but that can usually be negotiated, but even if NU is forced to pay full price, why not if that's who you want?  NU now has full share of the BIG money coming in, and if you're signing the guy for a 5 year contract that's only an extra 2 mil a year, easily covered by the additional conference revenue.  yeah, it sucks, but somebody has to pay for the admin fuckups.  plus,  another way to look at it is that NU has gotten off cheap with their recent hires of Pelini and MR, even though we'll have to continue to keep paying them both, but still.  in hindsight NU would have been better off paying top dollar for someone else even if it included a huge buyout.  you don't want to be in the same boat today where 5 years from now NU is making another coaching change and wishing they'd ponied up and paid for Campbell's buyout. 

Patterson - I don't mind him, and wouldn't be opposed to the hire at all, I just don't see any good reason for him to leave TCU to come to NU, other than maybe a fat check or if he wanted a new challenge.  I think NU (and others) missed their window to hire him.  he's pretty much a golden boy there at TCU and in the local area now, and I don't think they'd run him out of town with a few bad seasons.  why leave that security to come to NU and be "the guy that NU hired because they couldn't get Scott Frost"?

it's a fun exercise but I think SF is already N. 

but if not, my biggest takeaway from Moos is that while he does talk about "fit" for a program, I think $$$ is the biggest factor, along with both short term and long term success.  I don't think that Leach is a good fit.  I really don't think that Kelly is a good fit either, but would probably put butts in the seats, but I'm not sure about his short or long term success at NU.  SF pretty much checks off all the boxes I think Moos is looking for.  and if SF fails nobody is going to blame Moos for giving him a shot. 

I'd prefer to have a younger-ish coach, someone who NU could keep for a number of years.  I don't see NU as a stepping stone job, it's a destination job, and I'd like to see a "career" coach come to Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users