#1 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

a couple of good articles about SF's offense: https://huskerchalktalk.com/2017/10/22/lets-talk-scott-frost/ https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/23/16501428/scott-frost-ucf-coach-offense I see no reason why his system cant work at NU. I also think he's actively working to evolve his offensive system, which is always good to see. I also think that his system could work immediately with the talent NU returns next season. no, he doesn't have a running QB, but that doesn't mean that his quick passing game and spread formation run the ball schemes wont work. I'm concerned about his ability to recruit nationally. I'm concerned about the experience of his staff, and their ability to coach and recruit at a top caliber school like NU. but he will bring some former Huskers as coaches with him, I'm guessing, so I think they'll all do a good job of putting together a hard working, maximum effort culture which I think has been missing for years. ignoring his fast rise as a potential head coaching candidate, as I said before, one of the things that cant be ignored is that if NU passes on SF, and he goes somewhere else and has success, unless the guy NU hires instead is outperforming him, there's always going to be an issue of "what if" with the move. now, if SF is hired and flames out, at least that question will be answered. but also consider that because SF is young, and a native son, he's going to get more time to get things right in Lincoln than probably any other coach alive. and his hire will probably ignite the fan base and make the program more money.
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#2 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9343 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

a couple of good articles about SF's offense: https://huskerchalkt...lk-scott-frost/ https://www.sbnation...f-coach-offense I see no reason why his system cant work at NU. I also think he's actively working to evolve his offensive system, which is always good to see. I also think that his system could work immediately with the talent NU returns next season. no, he doesn't have a running QB, but that doesn't mean that his quick passing game and spread formation run the ball schemes wont work. I'm concerned about his ability to recruit nationally. I'm concerned about the experience of his staff, and their ability to coach and recruit at a top caliber school like NU. but he will bring some former Huskers as coaches with him, I'm guessing, so I think they'll all do a good job of putting together a hard working, maximum effort culture which I think has been missing for years. ignoring his fast rise as a potential head coaching candidate, as I said before, one of the things that cant be ignored is that if NU passes on SF, and he goes somewhere else and has success, unless the guy NU hires instead is outperforming him, there's always going to be an issue of "what if" with the move. now, if SF is hired and flames out, at least that question will be answered. but also consider that because SF is young, and a native son, he's going to get more time to get things right in Lincoln than probably any other coach alive. and his hire will probably ignite the fan base and make the program more money.

I think Gebbia is a running QB.

#3 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

New Transcript from Aaron Taylor:

"From conversations I have had with him....this is his dream job, relationship with the AD is a big factor, money doesn't mean a thing to him and we would obviously pay his assistants well. He is a little worried about the big fishbowl that this job has become and talked about enjoy the anonymity at his previous jobs. He is set to have a baby next week and Larry and Carol would also push hard also to have that grandbaby back in Nebraska. His latest visit with me on style of offense is a Nebraska style inside zone game and quasi Oregon outside zone game. He believes in the run game and would like something close to 65/35 run/pass game. If you compare his current offense to Osbornes, you will see a lot of similarities in the blocking schemes...even on those outside zone plays. Defensively he likes the attacking style and would bring his DC Erik Chinander with him. This guy is a big up and comer and in my opinion would restore the order...he is a good dude too."

Bring Frost home!
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#4 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97528 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Too early in the year to predict Frost...

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#5 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110763 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

College Football is dead. Sorry but it died 3 yrs ago.

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

https://huskerchalkt...-frost-part-ii/

part 2 of the huskerchalktalk analysis of SF's offense. 

so, saying SF does come here... it sounds like many of the OL blocking schemes/techniques would be the same.  rushing yards might be a bit tougher to come by until he would bring in a true dual threat QB who could run more often, but I'm sure the offense would adjust to throw more passes with a more accurate passing QB...

watching some of these spread offense concepts, I like how Oregon/Chip Kelly/SF really use the spread to run the ball.  get yourself a shifty RB or a speedster at RB and you can pick up chunks of yardage on the ground. 

now, compare that to what we've seen with MR/DL offense this season, and it always frustrates the hell out of me to see them constantly line up or shift or motion into a WR/TE bunch formation near the LOS.  I understand their desire to create better blocking angles and to possibly get some rub routes or pick plays in the passing game, but it seems way more often than not all they're doing is bringing in more defenders into the box and getting their shit pushed in.  why not spread the field a bit and try to make things easier in the running game?  for that matter, if the OL isn't up to par with their run blocking or pass blocking, where are the adjustments to try to alleviate those deficiencies?  where is the NU quick passing game?  if they cant pass pro for more than 3 sec where are the quick throws?  the TEs aren't good blockers?  well then flex them out and run more 1-back sets to take a defender out of the box or maybe give yourself more options in the passing game? 

it looks as if SF has been willing and able to adjust his gameplanning and his playcalling based on the talent he has available, and I think his core schemes in the spread offense are more flexible in regards to personnel.  I bet SF after a spring and fall camp implementing his system would have this current team playing light years better than they are right now. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#7 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20934 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Big Red Today breakfast: Jason Peter asks where the accountability is with current Husker team

Jason Peter is currently sporting a beard. Which is something he usually doesn’t do. “I decided if no one down there cares or gives a crap,” Peter said to a Thursday crowd at the Big Red Today breakfast, “then I decided, why should I? So I’m just going to grow this beard until Scott Frost is the head coach at Nebraska.” And from there, it was on.

Former Blackshirts Peter and Steve Warren talked about the state of the Nebraska football program and the Mike Riley era at the final breakfast of the year at Anthony's Steakhouse. The main message from the two was this: The program is sliding, and no one is being held accountable.

“I'm tired of hearing it’s the fans, the guys from the '90s, I'm tired of hearing it’s everybody's fault but the team,” Peter said. “Don't tell me you like this group after you give up 500 yards. Don’t say, ‘I like this crew, I like this group of guys.’ I don't give a (expletive) if you like them, they play like (expletive) on the field. When did it become about what you like? Or why 16 Blackshirts to start with? Really? Have you heard of one taken away? They should all have them taken away! What needs to happen to get their Blackshirts yanked? How many people need to get scored on before they get it taken away?”

Peter was part of all three of Nebraska’s title teams in the 1990s. He was an All-American in 1997, as well as a co-captain. Peter was the No. 14 pick in the 1998 NFL draft. He still watches the games. Most of the time frustrated. Warren, a nose guard in the late 1990s and All-Big 12 selection in 1999, can hardly watch the 4-4 Huskers for more than a half. “I think they have to see (success),” Warren said. “You’re talking about 20 some years without having seen it, what does it look like to be a champion? What's it feel like? You’ve got kids coming up in a culture that hasn't had championships. That haven’t been competitive and you have a staff who hasn't won championships.” Both Peter and Warren believe the issues begin in practice. Nebraska doesn’t practice the way it used to, they said. When you go 75 percent in practice, when you get to 100 percent in a game, you’re not ready, Peter said. It’s also why Nebraska struggles to tackle. When you’ve not done it in practice, why should you be able to in a game? "What you put out on Saturday is a reflection of what you do during the week,” Peter said. “Things like jumping offsides, missing a tackle, those things happen because you let them get away with it. There's no accountability. How many times does a guy have to miss a tackle for him to ultimately be on the sideline? There's no consequences.” After that comment, Peter was met by applause from the Husker fans in attendance. Warren reflected back on his time with former NU defensive coordinator Charlie McBride. If he messed up, Warren said, there was McBride to tell you about it. "He told me one time, I did something, he said, 'You'll never touch the green grass of Memorial Stadium as long as I'm coaching here if you do that again,' " Warren said.

Those days, though, are gone. As many conversations do around Nebraska football in 2017, it all came back to Frost. A fan from the audience asked Peter: Is Frost tough enough to be coach here, if new Athletic Director Bill Moos chose to let Riley and his staff go? Peter took a deep breath, and explained that he played tormenter to Frost when they were both in college. “We tried to make him quit every single day,” Peter said. Peter remembers Frost as a high schooler. “This quarterback, this golden boy kid from Nebraska," Peter remembers. But when Frost stiffed Nebraska and enrolled at Stanford, then transferred to Nebraska in 1995, the defense was out for blood. Every freshman or redshirt freshman had to pay dues on the scout team. “But we were never harder on a player any particular player than on Scott,” Peter said. “We thought this dude, he wanted to jump on the train that's won a few titles and is moving at full speed, so we tried to make him cry, quit, you name it.” But Frost kept at it. Kept coming back. Which earned Peter’s respect. And why should there be a change at the top with Riley, yeah, he’d be happy to have Frost back

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

good points on accountability and practice habits. 

there definitely needs to be a culture change to the program.  for too long now there hasn't been enough talent/depth to bench players when they aren't putting forth maximum effort and/or are making repeated correctible mistakes.  and there hasn't been enough physicality at practice to properly evaluate the players and to prepare them for games or for the season. 

as pointed out, there appear to be a lot of issues that can be rooted in accountability and practice habits. 

it would also explain why some players never see the field until there's an injury that forces them into the game.  this has now been multiple season where a reserve OL who hadn't seen a snap steps in and outperforms the starter.  Decker should have been the starting C from day one, possibly even last season instead of Utter.  instead he's riding the pine because they don't go full speed in practice enough to evaluate the players properly in live reps/game simulation.  it's also a concern that a true frosh can step in at RT and outperform your fifth year senior who you've now been coaching for 3 years.  where's Bo Wilson?  there was talk last year about him playing as a true frosh and now Farniok gets moved from RT to RG and Wilson is still riding pine?  imo players like Ben Stille should also be seeing more playing time.  he's at least a hustle player.  we've seen way too many missed tackles on defense.  that's either poor coaching or poor preparation/practice. 

our OL isn't physical because they don't practice being physical.  they practice technique like footwork and hand placement, and probably practice tons of pass pro during the week.  likewise our defense is working on positioning and technique and probably barely does any tackling.  seems odd that you'd run a defense designed to keep everything in front of you to force a team to nickel and dime it down the field but then don't work on a key part of that equation which is tackling the fucking guy. 

#9 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97528 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Ain't no accountability.  Ain't that nice?

WTF happened to NU's vaunted S&C program?  My old scrawny ass arms are bigger and stronger than gates.  Or maybe the whole bunch put together.  Jeebus H. Christo.

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#10 ass master

ass master

I like 'em dark and thick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Interests:Running, football, tv, coffee, fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm not holding my breath for anyone to be the head coach after this season other than Mike Riley.
Maybe I'll be completely shocked and blown away. Who knows.

jiKCvn1.jpg22ayh3.jpg

#11 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

there's no chance in hell that MR is back next year.  even if NU swings and misses at SF, they'll roll the dice with someone like McElwain or Sumlin or something like that if they strike out on other big names like Chip Kelly or Fuente or Campbell or others. 

#12 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

besides, read/listen to some of the stuff that AD Moos has been saying lately. 

"I didn't come here to go 6-6" while that gets interpreted as a slam dunk for firing Riley, I think he was more just speaking in general that he didn't come to NU to be a middle of the pack team, he knows he was hired to make NU "the hunted" instead of the hunter once again

when asked about SF, instead of just saying something generic like he's heard good things, he went in depth about who SF has played for and coached under, and what different coaching roles he's had, and that previously he didn't have head coaching experience at the college level but now he does and that he's doing well. 

imo, Moos isn't some stud AD who finds amazing coaches.  he's turned around some athletic programs, but imo he's done it more by supporting his coaches and improving facilities and a number of other things that require money. 

he's not dumb, he knows what rows the NU athletic dept boat, and that's money, and that's the football program. 

he also has already mentioned multiple times about "fit" being important for a coach. 

if NU doesn't offer SF, whoever is the new HC will simply not have the support of the majority of the fan base, and if SF has success elsewhere that will always be hanging over the program and whoever is HC. 

if Moos thinks another candidate is a better HC, he better be ready to face the wrath of the fans for not taking SF.  I can see the hesitation of not letting the fans and boosters run the program, but then again, dont the fans and boosters pour in the money that makes the program run?  from a job security standpoint, the easy decision is to hire SF, because SF will get more time than any other coach to turn things around, and will be forgiven for some rough seasons if they do stumble a bit while learning how to run a program like NU.  also, if SF does fail, I don't think anyone will be out to lynch Moos or Green or Bounds for bringing back the native son who was the QB on NU's last NC team under TO. 

if SF wasn't a native Nebraskan and hadn't played at NU, he'd still be in the discussion here.  probably not top of the list over pipe dream names like Chip Kelly or Patterson or others, but he'd be in the top 5-10 just like McElwain was and just like Herman would be if it were last season.  the fact that he does have NU ties puts so many other potential benefits on the table that I just really see no way that SF isn't at the top of the list and has NU ready to pay top dollar to get him (which, imo, will be more than we'd like to see simply because of the other P5 openings this season will ramp up the price tag)

and again, it comes down to money.  SF will get boosters writing checks and butts in the seats and excitement all over the fan base, at least for a little bit.  I just don't see any other name making a similar percentage of fans happy and spending money. 

#13 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I think it's a foregone conclusion that SF will be in Lincoln next year, it just depends on the timing. 

the early signing date for recruits in Dec makes the timeline possibly problematic. 

assume NU fires MR the day after the Iowa game.  that would only happen if Moos feels good about his top candidate(s) accepting the offer (imo the term sheet/offer will basically be already agreed to at that point).  but the problem is if SF's UCF team goes undefeated and is playing in a major bowl game.  SF will be torn between coaching his team vs getting the best start to his new HC job at NU, especially with the Dec early signing date.  plus he's going to be distracted, which is always a good excuse for stepping down early and letting an interim head coach take over for bowl practices and the bowl game, allowing SF to recruit.  plus it gives UCF time to get into the mix of the HC hiring process before the big name schools scoop everyone up (or allows them to sign someone recently fired before someone else does)

#14 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

which then makes me wonder, which of his current staff members will he bring with him, if he is coming home to coach? 

Associate Head coach/LB/special teams - Jovan Dewitt - joined UCF shortly after SF did from Army West Point.  he took over as DC at N Iowa after SF left, so maybe there's some sort of connection there but I don't know.  seems odd to see an associate head coach title, so not sure what other responsibilities he's handling for SF with the program right now, or if it was a move to make his resume look better so that he could move on to better opportunities

DC - Erik Chinander - imo he's definitely coming with SF wherever he goes.  I've heard some think he's a good rising talent as a DC.  he coaches a 3-4, btw.  he's coached with SF for 7 seasons between Oregon and N iowa and I think I heard he was in SF's wedding as well. 

OC/WR - Troy Walters - SF calls the plays I think, so not sure what Walters does as OC exactly, obviously it could be a ton of prep and game planning, so not trying to minimize his role.  it looks like SF hired him from CO where he was WR coach and recruiting coordinator, so the recruiting experience, especially at a place nearby NE, might be valuable experience to bring along.  plus I cant imagine SF dumping his OC moving to a new school when he needs someone who knows his system to help him teach it to a new group of players.  Walters won the Biletnikoff award as the best WR in the country when he played for Stanford, and he played in the league, so I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about the WR position.  (not sure what that might mean for current WR coach K Williams, who many would argue should be kept for his recruiting ability, although the numbers to date may not support the twitter hype in that regard)

OL - Greg Austin - former Husker (under Solich and Callahan, I think), coached with SF at Oregon, and also coached OL in the NFL.  he's probably a near lock to come with SF

TE/recruiting coordinator - Sean Beckton - played at UCF and has been a coach at UCF 3 different times, coaching DBs and WRs previously.  seems like someone who would stay at UCF to help transition to a new coaching staff there.  played there and coached there 3 separate times seems like someone who does what they can to stay there.  he's probably recruiting coordinator there now because he's developed a good relationship with tons of FL high schools, which is all you really need to do to recruit to a FL school...

DL - Mike Dawson - was a defensive quality control coach for Chip Kelly with the Eagles, so I think he coached with Greg Austin, not sure if there are any specific ties to SF.  not sure how the UCF DL has performed, either.  this might be an area where it makes sense for SF to part ways and keep Parella on staff "for continuity" reasons

DB - Travis Fisher - grew up in FL.  played for UCF.  coached at UCF before.  not a ton of experience.  seems like another candidate to stick around at UCF and possibly be kept by a new staff there.  also an opportunity for SF to keep Donte Williams in Lincoln to help with recruiting. 

RB - Ryan Held - former teammate of SF at NU.  grew up in Kansas City and has experience as a head coach at JUCOs in KS, which might be a nice tie in for recruiting.  cant see SF not giving him a chance to coach with him at their alma mater

QB - Mario Verduzco - lots of experience, coached with SF at NIU.  been coaching for 40 years so not sure how long he wants to keep at it?  florida is a nice place to retire, after all.  I would guess that he'd come along, though, at least for 1-3 years to help with the transition and teaching the offense. 

I think there's benefit to retaining 1-2 coaches during a transition, to help learn about the players in the program currently, what problems they'd faced as a staff the previous years, etc.  I also think it makes sense from a recruiting standpoint sometimes as well. 

obviously there would be no interest in keeping DL, Cav, Davis.  probably not Thompson, either, although it's a possibility, I guess.  Bray is another Riley/OSU coach, so doubt there's interest there.  Booker was supposed to be a special teams consultant, not the S coach, so doubtful there also.  Diaco seems like he'd be good if he had a lot of talent, but don't think he fits with a rebuild.  that leaves K Williams, D Williams, Parella.  K Williams might be interesting for his recruiting, although I think missing out on top targets each cycle and being short on schollies at WR is a major issue, but some of that might not have been his call.  same thing with D Williams, his recruiting appears to be nails, but wtf is up with the CB play this year?  I think he might be hamstrung a bit with the talent/experience this season, but I think the biggest issue is the defensive scheme where the DBs are asked to play so far off the WRs to prevent the big play, plus it's not like we've seen great OLB play in the passing game this season, either.  Parella seems like he's got his guys ready to play and seems to be doing decent on the recruiting front, plus he played at NU which is a bonus. 

9 total asst coaches now, with likely a 10th to be approved soon. 

say SF brings 7 of his assistants with him, that would let him make 3 new hires or keep 3 current coaches. 

#15 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9343 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

I'd keep Parella for certain.  And Bray, maybe.

#16 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97528 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

Keep Parella, definitely, & W1 & W2 for a year to to see if they can coach as well as recruit.  So far Donte's DBs are overwhelming...

Coaches on offense outside of KW?  Uh, no.    

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#17 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97528 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Nebraska has offered Frost over $5 million

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/nebraska-has-offered-frost-over-5-million.192463/ 

Posted Image

Go Big Red!

#18 ass master

ass master

I like 'em dark and thick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Interests:Running, football, tv, coffee, fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/nebraska-has-offered-frost-over-5-million.192463/ 

Error.
The requested page could not be found.

jiKCvn1.jpg22ayh3.jpg

#19 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

Error.
The requested page could not be found.
Clearly Johnny has lost his touch.

Nothing to see here. Just a random thread on Rivals. Nobody knows shit at this point.

Oh, and can you take the fucking picture of Riley with the balloon down?
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#20 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1706 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

According to Bob Downey of the Capital Humane Society in Lincoln SF has already adopted a dog for his soon to be child. Downey also said SF is moving a double wide on to that railroad right of way just east of the railroad tracks at 27th and Saltillo.

And how do I know this? I got my dog at Capital Humane Society about 10 years ago and the microchip they put in the animals can be read by scan app on my cell phone. I just happened to be messing with it when my dog walked by and that's what it said.

You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users