#1 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12953 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

It was the correct call to shitcan BP because Nebraska needs to shed all the old guard fans of Bob Devaney & Tom Osborne.  Damn fine job they are doing.  I hope NU gives MR the 4-5 more years he needs to complete his make-over of the Huskers. 

• Husker Hunyock likes this

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#2 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17240 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

It was the correct call to shitcan BP because Nebraska needs to shed all the old guard fans of Bob Devaney & Tom Osborne.  Damn fine job they are doing.  I hope NU gives MR the 4-5 more years he needs to complete his make-over of the Huskers. 

I"m going to enjoy it when you can get into the game with a can of beans and sit at the 50

#3 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14601 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

ok, I'll bite. 

what's with the BP man-love? 

do you really think he was going to lead NU to a conference and then a national title someday? 

or were you just happy with being 9-4 or 10-3 every year? 

I'm not saying that hiring MR was the right move after firing BP, but firing BP was the right move, and for me personally, I'd rather suffer through another MR or BC multiple times if it means we eventually find the "right" coach to put NU back where it should be contending for the division title EVERY YEAR and usually the conference title and occasionally in the CFB playoffs. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#4 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17240 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

ok, I'll bite. 

what's with the BP man-love? 

do you really think he was going to lead NU to a conference and then a national title someday? 

or were you just happy with being 9-4 or 10-3 every year? 

I'm not saying that hiring MR was the right move after firing BP, but firing BP was the right move, and for me personally, I'd rather suffer through another MR or BC multiple times if it means we eventually find the "right" coach to put NU back where it should be contending for the division title EVERY YEAR and usually the conference title and occasionally in the CFB playoffs. 

Even if your girlfriend is really toxic, you always have something to fall back on and in this situation Riley is the fat girl who doesn't like to fuck.

#5 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14601 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

are we arguing about if coach xxx should have been fired or are we arguing about fan or proper expectations? 

ignoring whoever was hired after the firing, firing each coach since TO is justified, imo.  the problem has been the fuckups at AD who pissed down their legs with the hirings.  just because BC followed FS doesn't mean that FS shouldn't have been fired, same with MR following BP.  imo.

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#6 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9828 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

My only beef with Pelini was that he wasn't willing to kick out the Asst coaches who were not panning out especially on the defense.  I could have cared less if the Press didn't like his style or if he rubbed people the wrong way.  He was an old style coach, but if he refused to fire coaches who sucked, we needed to change.

I can now understand more of what Pelini went through his last season because Eichorst was a douche.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#7 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100948 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

I was a Pelini fan until his exit.  or more to the point, the manner in which he exited.

HCMR is a likeable dude, but...

I watched the game at a Husker site with a couple of Buckeyes.  Was mortified.  More surrendered first downs than any time in Husker history.  What the fuck?  Didn't Callahan safely set all those records?  Evidently not.,

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14601 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

well so far all of the failed coaches have had one thing in common... poor asst coaches. 

FS - um, yeah, maybe Bohl had a few bad games. 

BC - Cosgrove.  enough said. 

BP - pretty much his entire asst coaching staff sucked except for maybe Brown and the revolving door of DB coaches

MR - pretty much all of the OSU staff that he brought with him minus Bray

#9 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

are we arguing about if coach xxx should have been fired or are we arguing about fan or proper expectations? 

ignoring whoever was hired after the firing, firing each coach since TO is justified, imo.  the problem has been the fuckups at AD who pissed down their legs with the hirings.  just because BC followed FS doesn't mean that FS shouldn't have been fired, same with MR following BP.  imo.

I have to disagree.  If you're going to fire coaches after 9 win seasons, under the pretense that they aren't winning enough, you sure as shit better be upgrading in your hires.  With both Callahan and Riley it was clear day one that we weren't upgrading.  We were neither getting an established winner, nor an up-and-coming coach,  we hired two proven bad coaches with apparently the ridiculous assumption that simply being at Nebraska would make them good.

If your plan is bad, it is a wrong decision to execute on it.  If you need to get to the other side of the street you don't walk out in front of a bus just because you know you're going to have to step in the street at some point.  In both the case of Solich and Pelini, it's pretty clear the decision to fire them was made the previous season.   That's an entire year to get your shit together, and then to evaluate whether it is still the right decision. It seems both times the decision was made to plow through with the decision, despite no good plan.  It would have been a smarter move to hold course until you can put yourself in the right situation.   But, I think it was personal, and the AD was afraid of either of these guys having another 9 or 10 win season, as it would make their decision less popular, and neither were willing to keep them in place regardless of success.  So they made bad decisions and the program has suffered for them.

#10 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17240 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

I have to disagree.  If you're going to fire coaches after 9 win seasons, under the pretense that they aren't winning enough, you sure as shit better be upgrading in your hires.  With both Callahan and Riley it was clear day one that we weren't upgrading.  We were neither getting an established winner, nor an up-and-coming coach,  we hired two proven bad coaches with apparently the ridiculous assumption that simply being at Nebraska would make them good.

If your plan is bad, it is a wrong decision to execute on it.  If you need to get to the other side of the street you don't walk out in front of a bus just because you know you're going to have to step in the street at some point.  In both the case of Solich and Pelini, it's pretty clear the decision to fire them was made the previous season.   That's an entire year to get your shit together, and then to evaluate whether it is still the right decision. It seems both times the decision was made to plow through with the decision, despite no good plan.  It would have been a smarter move to hold course until you can put yourself in the right situation.   But, I think it was personal, and the AD was afraid of either of these guys having another 9 or 10 win season, as it would make their decision less popular, and neither were willing to keep them in place regardless of success.  So they made bad decisions and the program has suffered for them.

coop is the voice of reason again.

#11 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14601 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

for a competent AD, yes, you stick with your 9 win coach until you've secured a better replacement.  for an incompetent AD, apparently that isn't the case, or they thought that their new hire was going to be better. 

either way, FS and BP weren't going to take NU to competing for a NC, and so they needed to go. 

#12 ass master

ass master

I like 'em dark and thick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3768 posts
  • Interests:Running, football, tv, coffee, fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:54 AM

Solich was the best thing we could have hoped for until we could find our Meyer or Saban.

The changes he made for the '03 season were showing some good things, but we all know how that ended up.

for a competent AD, yes, you stick with your 9 win coach until you've secured a better replacement.  for an incompetent AD, apparently that isn't the case, or they thought that their new hire was going to be better. 

either way, FS and BP weren't going to take NU to competing for a NC, and so they needed to go. 

jiKCvn1.jpg22ayh3.jpg

#13 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12953 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

https://youtu.be/e0Kvnt7KIKU

This

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#14 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12953 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Meh, bullshit..  FS looked like he had the ship heading in a much better direction than either Callafraud and 'Smiling Mike.  He had a very similar record as Osborne.  Your assertion that FS wasn't going to have NU competing for championships is unsubstantiated.  Indeed, since FS had NU in the MNC game in 2001, so your statement factually incorrect.

#15 5thYearFreshman

5thYearFreshman

mAd Fat chiCk killA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7153 posts
  • Interests:Watching this place meltdown and pretending that these aren't the same people that make fun of people doing it at the printer site
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

Meh, bullshit..  FS looked like he had the ship heading in a much better direction than either Callafraud and 'Smiling Mike.  He had a very similar record as Osborne.  Your assertion that FS wasn't going to have NU competing for championships is unsubstantiated.  Indeed, since FS had NU in the MNC game in 2001, so your statement factually incorrect.

Revisionist history if you believe that the 2001 squad was anything near a championship squad.  That was the same team that got raped in Boulder and needed 5 teams ahead of them to lose in order to get into the game.  If you want to talk about Solich's NC squad, look at the 99 team. 

Lest we forget that in 03, Solich's team lost by 17 to Mizzou, 24 to Texas and 29 to K-State.  He was fired for margin of loss, not W-L.  I don't know that he should have been fired in 03, but Buttplug Steve wanted his own guy. 

Pelini was fired because of the 35 point loss in Madison.  While that was likely a knee-jerk reaction, Bo had killed any chance he had of staying with his antics in 2013 along with a 21 point loss to Iowa at home as well as losses to Minnesota and UCLA.  Pelini was fired for his antics more than his results, though he was getting his ass caved in constantly.  Pelini deserved to get fired and there is a reason he is not coaching an FBS school right now. 

Both times we fired 9-4 coaches, the coach was fired a year later than he should have been and replaced by guys that were not upgrades.  Hopefully this time, we will get someone who can make us competitive in a conference (or at least a division) we should be dominating. 

#16 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14601 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

pretty much my thoughts as well. 

FS - nice guy, never really evolved the offense, held onto his staff too long, and was generally horrible at recruiting, 2001 they backed into the NC game and didn't belong after being boatraced by CU and they didn't even win their division let alone their conference.  he was also responsible for destroying a number of records in 02 and should have been fired then.  he did well with TO's recruits but the talent level gradually eroded during his time and at least to me it seemed like they were often in over their heads managing the program and coaching an elite team. 

problem was, as pointed out, he was fired a year later than he should have, and was fired without a replacement in place or even a plan in place.  SP fucked this one up so bad it put us on this path.  Callahan ended up being the only one who would take the offer because SP was only looking at "name" coaches iirc

BC - destroyed the walkon program, alienated former coaches and players, and the fans.  he recruited well and his attitude probably could have been overlooked if he had won more but his refusal to make staff changes and his poor leadership sent him packing.  TO made an easy call based on the record.  I wish TO would have put some more thought into the hiring process, but of course hindsight is 20-20 and the BP hire made sense at the time. 

BP - definitely had potential, but it seemed obvious to me as time went on that he was never going to be constantly competing for conference championships.  he turned around the BC mess quickly, and did well with BC's recruits, but the talent level dropped as his time went on because he hated recruiting and generally hired a staff of young inexperienced assistants who also weren't good recruiters.  BP definitely had potential to grow in the program but I think he lacked a mentor and lacked support once TO left, and he was also too stubborn and probably had an ego issue with not hiring better assistants.  the attitude that 9-4 was good enough and that the fans were all out to get them was a horrible culture to instill into the program.  like FS, BP was fired a year too late, probably because SE was afraid to pull the trigger at the time because he didn't have a replacement lined up.  BP was *asking* to get fired the season before, all SE had to do was take him up on the offer and there wouldn't have been many complaints, then he should have hired a search firm and hired a new coach.  instead I think he did his own thing and identified his own top target, maybe with some influence from Alvarez, but probably just more his own weird way of what he desired in a head coach, with consistent winning or future trajectory apparently not on the list of qualifications.  which brings us to...

MR - nice guy.  I want him to win.  he just isn't winning, and he hasn't won in college.  the team appears poorly coached and unmotivated, and his offensive schemes don't appear to be working now that he has his own players.  more talent isn't going to fix the poor coaching.  I think it's obvious that MR isn't going to be constantly competing for conference championships, with the W-L record being an obvious indicator but the coaching and development is a bigger one.  I anticipate MR being fired after the Iowa game as long as the Moose has his next coach already lined up. 

and I think the next coach will be Scott Frost.  I could be happy with some other big names of experienced guys, but I think from a lot of angles it's going to be tough to pass on SF if he's willing to come back home.  regardless, hopefully Moos will make the right decision and at the right time.  unlike his predecessors. 

but, I don't think any of the previously fired coaches (FS, BC, BP) had what it took to make NU a consistent top 25 team competing for conference championships, and I don't think that NU should settle for a 9-4 coach, they should be looking for the coach that is going to take them back to being in the national title conversation again. 

• mNhhh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users