rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1943 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

Well, Gary Anderson who replaced Riley at Oregon St. has stepped down. He also turned down the $12 million buyout if he was fired. Hopefully this is a trend and Riley quits to go back to the Beavers for a 3rd stint. A guy can dream about it.

You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

#22 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14591 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

the other thing to consider with a coaching change and the Scott Frost situation is that what happens if NU passes on Frost now and Frost goes to some other P5 school in a year or two and starts to win big? 

I'd argue NU should hire him for that reason alone, even. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#23 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

I think it's about what identity Nebraska wants, and that starts with the head coach.

Frost was an offensive coordinator at Oregon.  At UCF he runs that hybrid spread shotgun, fast tempo offense.  That's what he would bring to Lincoln.

The NU fan base seems to be clamoring for more of a running offense -- think Wisconsin, or Iowa.  Or maybe the option run offense like Georgia Tech & Navy run.

So, we have to first answer the basic question:  what do we want the Nebraska identity to be?

#24 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17223 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

I think it's about what identity Nebraska wants, and that starts with the head coach.

Frost was an offensive coordinator at Oregon.  At UCF he runs that hybrid spread shotgun, fast tempo offense.  That's what he would bring to Lincoln.

The NU fan base seems to be clamoring for more of a running offense -- think Wisconsin, or Iowa.  Or maybe the option run offense like Georgia Tech & Navy run.

So, we have to first answer the basic question:  what do we want the Nebraska identity to be?

I want Nebraska's identity to be WINNING 

#25 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14591 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

lol I agree with winning.  I think most do.  of course, there is a chunk of the fan base that will always be unhappy if NU isn't running power football most of the time.  hell some think NU is an "option team" completely ignorant of what offense NU actually ran for their 3 titles in the 90's and oblivious to the various offenses that TO ran during his time in the program both as HC and under devaney

as for Frost, I believe there was an article a while back where he was quoted as saying he'd like to evolve the spread offense into his own version by incorporating an element of the power running game.  he seems to be smart enough to change his offense based on the available local talent, and if not, he has plenty of options to coach at warm weather schools where he can recruit a bunch of small fast guys to run around the field.  anyway, I could actually see a spread/power variant working... go with 3 WR sets, and some sort of tweener H-back/TE/big WR hybrid who can line up as a lead blocker or flex out to stretch the defense more, keep your OL big and nasty and run power between the tackles, incorporate the zone read, the read option, and the buzzword of the recent offenses, the run-pass-option (RPO) and I think it could work.  not sure running up tempo all the time makes sense with bigger OL but maybe with a rotation. 

anyway, even if he doesn't change it, who cares if he wins with it? 

Wisconsin didn't beat NU because they have the magic formula of using a power run game dominated offense, they beat NU because they executed their offense and defense better than NU did theirs.  last I checked Wisconsin hasn't won any national titles using the power run game as the focus. 

Frost can roll the footballs out on the field and play basketball on grass for all I care, same with any other coach, as long as they fucking win. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#26 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

lol I agree with winning.  I think most do.  of course, there is a chunk of the fan base that will always be unhappy if NU isn't running power football most of the time.  hell some think NU is an "option team" completely ignorant of what offense NU actually ran for their 3 titles in the 90's and oblivious to the various offenses that TO ran during his time in the program both as HC and under devaney

as for Frost, I believe there was an article a while back where he was quoted as saying he'd like to evolve the spread offense into his own version by incorporating an element of the power running game.  he seems to be smart enough to change his offense based on the available local talent, and if not, he has plenty of options to coach at warm weather schools where he can recruit a bunch of small fast guys to run around the field.  anyway, I could actually see a spread/power variant working... go with 3 WR sets, and some sort of tweener H-back/TE/big WR hybrid who can line up as a lead blocker or flex out to stretch the defense more, keep your OL big and nasty and run power between the tackles, incorporate the zone read, the read option, and the buzzword of the recent offenses, the run-pass-option (RPO) and I think it could work.  not sure running up tempo all the time makes sense with bigger OL but maybe with a rotation. 

Wisconsin didn't beat NU because they have the magic formula of using a power run game dominated offense, they beat NU because they executed their offense and defense better than NU did theirs.  last I checked Wisconsin hasn't won any national titles using the power run game as the focus. 

Frost can roll the footballs out on the field and play basketball on grass for all I care, same with any other coach, as long as they fucking win. 

Amen.

Just fucking win.

That = Slogan
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#27 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

Amen.

Just fucking win.

That = Slogan

That is so much bullshit.  Either that or you were a fan of both Pelini & Solich. 

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#28 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

What the fuck are you even talking about?

#29 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

What the fuck are you even talking about?

The absolute hypocrisy of your statement about "Just fucking win"

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#30 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Which of the last four coaches at NU have proven worthy at a P5 level?

#31 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Ahh... so 'just win' means 'just win them all'.  Fucking moron.

#32 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

By your metric, you would have been on the fire Osborne wagon from 73 through 93.  Yep, gotta win them all or he's a shitty coach. 

#33 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Ahh... so 'just win' means 'just win them all'.  Fucking moron.

Win something you fucking dusty old retard.

Again, what is your fucking point? We get you hate Pearlman but he's gone as will Riley very soon.

#34 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Fuck you little boy.  Idiots like you are why NU is in the spot they are in now.  

#35 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Fuck you little boy.  Idiots like you are why NU is in the spot they are in now.

Exactly what I thought.

I would respect you if you could piece together a coherent argument but that's never been your strong suit.

#36 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12884 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

Sorry, I don't speak moron.

#37 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14591 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

I'm sick of the "you would have fired TO and we never would have won titles" argument. 

first off, it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT college football landscape. 

secondly, TO rarely got his teeth kicked in.  yes, he faced a bunch of cupcakes and had a number of advantages that other schools have caught up to in today's world, but TO always had his team prepared and playing well, and you could always see improvement in players as they progressed through the program, etc.  his teams were well coached, and it was obvious.  he was also willing to change his philosophies and focus on both sides of the ball, making changes in schemes and playstyle.  but most of all, he would at least challenge for the conference title every year.  yes, he continually lost to OU for a while, and in case nobody remembers, a huge number of fans did want to run him off, and he almost left for the CU job as has been reported. 

the difference for Solich is that it was obvious he was in over his head.  no imagination, no strategy, no ability to run a major CFN program.  recruiting slipped horribly during his tenure, and the offensive schemes digressed.  yes, he won 9 games a year for a few years, but then he put together that disaster season (at which point he should have been immediately fired, it was stupid as all hell to let him change his staff at that point) that ruined a ton of NU records and probably really started to erode the foundation of Husker mystique.  anyway, firing FS was the right move. 

the difference for BP is that it was obvious there were a number of flaws that he didn't seem able to willing to correct.  yes, BP won 9 games a year, he also lost 3/4 games a year, every year.  BP basically won all of the games he should have, and lost all of the games he should have, the problem was that he hated recruiting and didn't put in the effort, and the talent gradually eroded.  eventually NU would have been "favored" in less and less games and 9-4 would have slipped to 8-5, etc.  it was also obvious that he wasn't willing to make changes to his staff, or at least not competent ones.  he surrounded himself with inexperienced assistants which isn't a sign of good leadership.  he also fostered a culture of "us vs them" and generally embarrassed himself and the university on multiple occasions.  if you're winning conference titles and competing for NC's, the fans and NU can let that childish demeanor go, but if you're letting opponents set CFB rushing records against you in just 3 quarters, that shit gets old.  and I don't think that I can argue that players got noticeably better under his development nor that they were consistently well coached and prepared. 

BC was a trainwreck, obviously. 

MR doesn't seem like the right guy, either. 

but holy fuck, what are you suggesting?  That NU fans should be happy with 9-4 seasons from here on out? 

OU had a revolving door of coaches looking to get back to the top, same with Alabama, same with OSU.  same with others.  is NU supposed to throw in the towel and look for someone who can simply win 9 games a year?  that's our new high water mark? 

if that's truly the case, then who really is the moron and who really is the shitty fan? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users