• 4380 posts
  • Interests:Consumption of Fine Single Malt Scotch
  • Iowa St.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

New AD - Bringing back Dollar Bill Byrne y'all $$$

New Coach - Bob $toops if the $$$ is right

if not - MANGINO!!!

Veni, Vedi, Veci!

A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week. - George S. Patton

#2 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Others to consider as AD.  Dave Rimmington.  Joe Maglia.

Still think the fix is in For Trev Alberts.  It will piss off many fans.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#3 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

I doubt NU could afford the food bill for Mangino

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#4 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17226 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

I doubt NU could afford the food bill for Mangino

Valentinos is a sponsor

#5 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think Trev is the right guy.  He hasn't done a good job with the budget at UNO, and he cut football pretty much off the bat instead of trying to build something.  I just don't think he's the guy to run a program like Nebraska.. Not sure he's the right guy at UNO

#6 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Rimington name is being bandied about, but who knows. Was contacted for the interim, so who knows if he will use it as an evaluation period for the permanent slot.

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#7 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, I don't think Trev is the right guy.  He hasn't done a good job with the budget at UNO, and he cut football pretty much off the bat instead of trying to build something.  I just don't think he's the guy to run a program like Nebraska.. Not sure he's the right guy at UNO
Maybe ten years from now be not now. We can't keep fucking up coaching hires. Trev is too risky. He's never run a football program. I would hope we've learned our lesson from OJT hires. Great Husker but not what we need.
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#8 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

Rimington name is being bandied about, but who knows. Was contacted for the interim, so who knows if he will use it as an evaluation period for the permanent slot.

I just don't see Rimmington as an AD.  He runs a charity, he knows how to raise money, I suppose...  But what does he know about running an athletic department?    Maybe he can come in as a familiar face, but really, is he qualified?  Really like the guy, but again, we need the right guy for the job.  

I've heard Ed Stewart's name thrown around... he might be interesting.  

Del Conte is the best outside name I've seen.  The worst is Kevin White,  (that had better been a goddamn joke, because we're done if that happens).  

But...  I think the guy who I think should get the job is the guy Perlman passed over for Eichorst.  Paul Meyers.  He's raised a shit-ton of money for the university and carries a lot of clout with our donors.  He was a guy who everyone respected and liked.  He can come back in, smooth things over with donors, and hopefully get the AD back on track.  It's just too bad there's 5 years of shit on the floor.

#9 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Rimington has been named as the Interim AD.  

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#10 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

Not surprising.  I would be surprised to see him be the permanent AD, though.  

#11 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

He pretty much said just that during his interview.  Just here to help out.  Can we suit him up for playing center while he is here?

-Thomas Jefferson

#12 Texker

Texker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Texas A&M

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

He pretty much said just that during his interview.  Just here to help out.  Can we suit him up for playing center while he is here?

I'd prefer he pull Riley and Cavanaugh into a room for 72 hours to kick their ass for their west coast pussification of the OL then show them what it takes to build an OL pipeline cuz despite their years of experience they are too stupid to figure that out. Throw Langsdorf in there too. Morons.

#13 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9827 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Trev Alberts says he will not be a candidate for the AD job according to OWH.

-Thomas Jefferson

#14 Gargantuan Vermillion

Gargantuan Vermillion

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8303 posts
  • Interests:rock climbing, Huskers, running
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I had the opportunity to give this some thought while I attended the most recent ass-kicking in person tonight.

I would ordinarily say that a program needs to be very cautious about firing a coach because the odds are you set yourself back three years or so when you do. And while Mike Riley seems like a nice enough guy, it's clear he was not brought in to build or rebuild the program (just to be the opposite of Bo, really), so a three year setback doesn't really matter.

Where is the program right now? We're way past gravitating toward mediocrity. This is as bad as I've seen it - the effort, planning, and execution all rival the Callahan years.

Burn it down. Start fresh. Hire Scott Frost.

This opinion subject to change if a miracle happens and we beat Ohio State.
Let this abomination unto the Lord begin!

#15 Boxcar

Boxcar

Broken Record

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I had the opportunity to give this some thought while I attended the most recent ass-kicking in person tonight.
I would ordinarily say that a program needs to be very cautious about firing a coach because the odds are you set yourself back three years or so when you do. And while Mike Riley seems like a nice enough guy, it's clear he was not brought in to build or rebuild the program (just to be the opposite of Bo, really), so a three year setback doesn't really matter.
Where is the program right now? We're way past gravitating toward mediocrity. This is as bad as I've seen it - the effort, planning, and execution all rival the Callahan years.
Burn it down. Start fresh. Hire Scott Frost.
This opinion subject to change if a miracle happens and we beat Ohio State.

We're trending towards 1930's Minnesota so firing MR won't drag us down any further than the last four hires. At this point it's about saving the program. Forget winning National Titlies and contending for the Playoff.

This program has had zero mental toughness since 2003. I agree go get Frost as Shaw and Chip aren't likely coming, but who knows if we decide to finally pay $5-6M per year.
"We ran into a buzz saw tonight." Mike Riley following the Arkansas State game

#16 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

Why on Earth would Scott Frost come to Lincoln? The place that booed him in 96? Dream on. This is now a dead end job, has been since Pedophile canned Solich.

#17 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12893 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

I just don't see Rimmington as an AD.  He runs a charity, he knows how to raise money, I suppose...  But what does he know about running an athletic department?    Maybe he can come in as a familiar face, but really, is he qualified?  Really like the guy, but again, we need the right guy for the job.  

I've heard Ed Stewart's name thrown around... he might be interesting.  

Del Conte is the best outside name I've seen.  The worst is Kevin White,  (that had better been a goddamn joke, because we're done if that happens).  

But...  I think the guy who I think should get the job is the guy Perlman passed over for Eichorst.  Paul Meyers.  He's raised a shit-ton of money for the university and carries a lot of clout with our donors.  He was a guy who everyone respected and liked.  He can come back in, smooth things over with donors, and hopefully get the AD back on track.  It's just too bad there's 5 years of shit on the floor.

A reasonable choice, but my faith in NU "leadership" is failing.  I think NU fucks the AD hire up and NU sinks further into irrelevancy.  I despise all that have helped destroy that which Bob & Tom build.  

Tired of Perlman's shadow, Huskers are dead.

#18 ass master

ass master

I like 'em dark and thick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3768 posts
  • Interests:Running, football, tv, coffee, fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

Huskers are dead.

This

jiKCvn1.jpg22ayh3.jpg

#19 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14595 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

I'd like to argue that MR needs more time, that 3 years isn't enough time, but...

are we seeing progress?  are we seeing good coaching?  are we seeing improvement? 

yes, this is an inexperienced team on paper, yes they are playing a completely new defensive scheme with new defensive coaches, yes, this is the first year that MR/DL are calling plays using "their" offense...

so why do we look the same or possibly worse?  Lee has some arm talent, so why does he seem to be completing passes at about a 50% rate with equal tds/int?  that's about what he did at Tulane, so is it scheme or coaching or playcalling?  or is that the best that he can do? 

do we think that the team we see on the field now will be so much improved next year once they're all returning starters with a(nother) full season under their belts?  I think the defense will improve with another year in the system, but the offense hasn't changed that much from the first two years, they just aren't calling the read option any more.  the same running plays are being used, and a lot of the same passing schemes. 

are we supposed to let MR fire the majority of his offensive coaching staff and give him another 2-3 years to let that play out while improving the talent/depth? 

and yes, I still think that there is a serious talent/depth issue, but while the social media game with this staff is strong, I'm still not overwhelmed by the tons of top talent they're bringing in, and of course, that talent has to be developed, which I'm not sure we have too many examples of in year 3. 

as for a replacement, I don't have a huge husker boner for Scott Frost, but as far as the next hire goes, it probably makes sense, mostly because it will appease the "they have to have Nebraska ties" crowd.  Frost is young enough he'll get plenty of time, and if he burns out at least the "no neb ties" excuse wont be on the table.  plus there's a decent chance that he becomes one hell of a head coach.  let's face it, even marching in saban or meyer at this point wont appease all of the fans, and experienced head coaches might not be too keen on leaving their current gig to get spitroasted by the NU fan base for not winning a national title in their second year.  I think NU can do better than Frost, but I think if Frost wants to come home the majority of the fan base will give him a shot and give him time, and I cant say that for anyone else. 

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#20 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100435 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Outside "the family"...

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?