#1 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12724 posts
  • Iowa St.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

What a great feast!  Was in Sam's and they have had these in their meat dept.  I could no longer resist. 

Trying to upload a photo, but file is too big and I don't have photo editing software on this computer.  Looked like this though

Tomahawk-Steaks_zl.jpg

One was big enough to feed 4, although there was only the two of us, about 2,5 lb!  Had it with mushrooms & onions, grilled corn on the cob (grill em in husks, they are awesome!) and some garlic mashed potatoes the wife made, and life was good.  Wow!  And then there was a nice bone left for the puppies to gnaw on for a long time,

Used my BGE @ 500º until the internal temp hit 110º, then took them off (yeah I made 2 anyway) and let the temp rise to 700º+ (only too a few minutes, < 5) then threw them back on for a couple more minutes to hit 125º, medium rare is where I like em best.  Did use my iGrill to monitor. 

What the fuck

#2 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17081 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Yum

#3 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97491 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Bob's Steak & Chophouse serves up a mean one.  Love it!

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#4 Husker Hunyock

Husker Hunyock

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9708 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Looks good!

Has anyone tried preparing the steak "Sous Vide"

Where you throw the steak in a plastic baggie with whatever herbs and seasoning and butter you like.  Then put the steak in a pot of water heated to the desided temp you would like for the internal temp of the steak by using a cooking thermometer in the water.  Heat it up to about 160 degrees for about a half hour for Rare/Medium Rare), take the steak out and sear the steak 5 minutes on each side in a hot pan.

You basically are cooking the steak inside out and have better control of what the internal temp will be so it is harder to over cook.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

#5 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12724 posts
  • Iowa St.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

Had a nice thick ribeye at The Green Bottle in Hunstville prepared sous vide.  My co-workers were ribbing me about being particular when it came to ordering steaks, and we had been directed here by some of the local's we were working with during the week.  The waiter asked if I would like to speak to the chef, and the guys all wanted him to come out and assure me his steak was worth ordering  I have been all over the country with several of these guys, and they had seen me send back steaks at Ruth's Chris', Fleming's and just about every other steak joint we visited.  Hey, if you are charging an arm and a leg for a meal, it had better be damn good or I will get in your grille.  Actually, they barred me from ever coming back to one of the Ruth's Chris', not that I care.  Fucking worthless over priced piece of shoe leather that you can get at Denny's for breakfast.  And I told them as much.  The manager didn't appreciate it.  Fuck him.

Anyway, the chef takes me back to the kitchen an he has maybe 8-9 glorious ribeyes (bone on) sitting in a sous vide bath at 120°.  His take was he can leave the steaks in the for a long time (his had been in for 12 hours) and the meat cannot over cook.  He let me select a steak (they charged by weight and I didn't take a small one) and he pulled it out, opened it up and threw it on a 700° grille to sear it.  Brought it out with asparagus spears (grilled naturally) and garlic mashed potatoes.  Spot on medium rare (125 for me°) completely through and through.  Wonderfully tender and since it had been cooking for so long, the flavors (garlic, butter, etc) had penetrated nicely into the meat.  Just as HH said. 

Fucker was awesome!  I was kind though, and let each of my table mates have a bite (there really was plenty) so they could understand what a good steak actually tasked like.  They all agreed that it was the best steak they ever tasted.  One guy asked where else he could get a steak this good.  I looked him dead in the eye and said "My backyard"

That being said, sous vide rocks.

What the fuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users