Photo
- - - - -

Huskers a half game behind with Minny for 1st in the B1G. Final series this week

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9343 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

The usual post season collapse happens right on schedule.

Fucking Erstad.

#22 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14436 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

yeah NU really shit the bed big time in this regional.  Yale hadn't beaten a top 50 RPI team in years, and Holy Cross had a fucking losing record. 

I'm not willing to lay this at Erstad's feet just yet, though, but the years of poor postseason performances (conference tourney and regional play) do seem to point to a potential leadership issue. 

part of the problem is that Erstad had never coached before, so I think he's learning on the job.  I'd like to see him have more time to see if he can develop in that respect. 

I also think he's hampered significantly by the scholarship rules.  remember that baseball gives partial scholarships, but what I understand also is that the conference rules are similar to that of football in that they don't allow you to "oversign" so Erstad is actually unable to recruit for the player's leaving early even if they tell him so and he knows for sure... so everytime players leave, Erstad is a year behind, and thus possibly 2-6 players behind.  they hold their own in the conference because every other team is in the same boat but you see the problems when they play teams from other conferences (no excuse for losing to Yale and HC though)

I think he also needs to find new assistant coaches.  there seem to be both player development issues and game management issues for both the pitching and the hitters.  we seem to be a small ball team that doesn't play small ball, or doesn't play it very well.  so that makes us a weak hitting team with no power that sucks at bunting and advancing runners.  I think the "good defense and small ball and good pitching" plan can work with the scholarship limits, but it doesn't seem as if they've really found their identity and if so they haven't been executing it correctly. 

right now, though, I think there's too many holes in the roster, hitting, defensively, and pitching, and one could even argue that Erstad is doing a decent job considering his recruiting restrictions and thus the talent level.  plus he didn't exactly inherit a great roster situation, either. 

I wonder what Coop thinks considering he's probably seen more games in person that most/all of us?

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users