(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9720 posts
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

https://nebraska.riv...to-sweep-series

Luis Alvarado didn’t feel comfortable at the plate. He hadn’t the whole weekend.

But with teammate Scott Schreiber standing on second with two outs, the junior from Salinas, Puerto Rico stared down a full count pitch and took a big swing.

“I was just trying to put the ball in play and see what happened,” Alvarado said. “I knew Scott was on second with two outs, he was going to go on the swing, so I felt pretty comfortable when I hit the ball.”

Moments later, Alvarado's teammates were swarming him on the field after his first career walk-off hit - a single through the left side, gave Nebraska (29-16-1, 12-5-1) its first sweep of the season in a 7-6 win over Rutgers - a victory that, coupled with Maryland’s loss, gave the Huskers sole possession of first place in the Big Ten.

Nebraska remains undefeated in Sunday games this season, but the result looked to be in doubt after the Huskers coasted for the majority of the day. Rutgers senior Tom Marcinczyk tied the game on one swing in the eighth, blasting a three-run home run into the wind in right field.

“Baseball, you’re going to see a bunch of crazy stuff,” head coach Darin Erstad said after the game. “Took a big punch there, could’ve been a knockout blow, but we kept it together and found a way.”

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

-Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users