#2 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12654 posts
  • Iowa St.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

I know there are many competitors, and I am sure they are just as good.  I really like the thermal mass of the Kamado grills.  Have cooked some bitchen rib-eyes & grilled corn on the cob, smoked a very excellent brisket, and wood fire cooked a couple of pizzas, one store bought frozen, the other a bit more home-made.

Observations so far.

• Crazy thrifty on fuel.  I filled the firebox with about 12 lb of lump coal, and by the end of the 12 hour smoke (the brisket was a ~9 lb full packer) I had about 1/3 of the fuel left.  This was judged the next day after coals were cold.
  • In line with the above, there was about only about a cup of ash residue to clean out, again very efficient.
  • The smoker temp was manually regulated to 250 deg, probably +/- 5 deg for the brisket.  The egg really does hold stable temp!
  • Brisket was very juicy and had a presentable smoke ring.
  • The steaks came off perfect, but I cheat as they were about a 2" cut, so I use a Classic Thermapen to check for doneness, 135 deg for me.  Perfect grill marks and stellar taste.
  • The pizza's were very tasty cooked on the open fire.
  • Temperatures were very stable at all temps from low and slow (250 deg for ~12 hrs) to the pizza 425 deg for ~45 minutes, and I think the steaks were about 550 deg, but  didn't note the temp

As I said above, probably any Kamado will cook comparably due to the appreciable thermal mass (my XL Egg probably tips the scale at 200+ lb) and developing an even temperature distribution.  I am now a big fan, and that is after many years of skepticism.  But after becoming disenchanted with losing/replacing my metal charcoal grills every 2-3 years to rust, I decided to give one a try.   Not exterior rust mind you, the interior parts would break down from the heat.  I do use them a couple times a week though, so I probably got my $ worth from them anyway.  The Kamado, at least preliminarily, has exceeded my (cooking) expectations.

What the fuck

#3 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12654 posts
  • Iowa St.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Oh, I was able to hit about 750 deg on the grill, but that was by accident.  The rapidity of coal ignition caught me off guard the first time I used it.  Takes a long time to come off that high heat.  :icon_redface:

What the fuck

#4 fdbrian

fdbrian

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16994 posts
  • Interests:All things undead
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

I've had one for 2 years, I like if for most things. I use an electric smoker, set it and forget it type of deal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users