4 replies to this topic

#1 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Joe Abercrombie is one of a few younger fantasy writers like Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss who are really creating some unique worlds and engaging series. I started reading Sanderson after being introduced to his work picking up for Robert Jordan on the wheel of time series, and after reading his Mistborn series and the first book of his Stormlight Archive epic, moved on to Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

I'm half way through the second book, Before They are Hanged. These books are set in a world somewhat like the Medieval Europe and middle east. We see 3 major nations, 'The union' which a large free kingdom which has grown soft, the Northmen, reminiscent a viking type culture, and the Gurkish who seem to be modeled on middle eastern empires. Magic and supernatural creatures exist in this world but definitely are not the primary focus of the action so far.

Abercrombie can write a fight scene like no one else, they're gritty, realistic, and lack the flash and glitter some other writers inject. There's a lot of depth, but they're brief and brutal.

The plot this far is engaging, and while the first book The Blade Itself is no doubt a setup for the other two books it stands alone well. Book two is revealing more of the back story of the world and we get larger scale action than in the first book. Each of the major characters are complex, and not written to make you love or hate them like you might see in other books of the genre.

I'm really glad I decided to pick it up, and highly recommend anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre to take a look. I hope someday this can find it's way to a movie screen or TV series. Not enough opportunities for boobs for HBO to pick it up though.

#2 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Had been thinking about re-reading the Mistborn series but I'll take a look at this instead.

#3 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Apparently not available for the Nook, though there is another book by the same name for the Nook. Almost didn't look closely enough to see that it was the wrong one: http://www.barnesand...ore=allproducts

#4 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

And thanks for this, Lincoln City Libraries: http://lincoln.pione...ionumber=434625 WTF is going on there?

In transit from Lincoln City Libraries - Gere Branch to Lincoln City Libraries - Bennett Martin Branch since 01/12/2012

Apparently it was walking itself downtown and got lost.

#5 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Weird, it's supposed to be in epub format, I actually bought it for the kindle app, since I'm mad at B&N for introducing giant-ass margins on their nook app. But even his own site goes to a place saying 'out of stock'... which is weird. The only thing I found with a google source is a bunch of pirated epubs.

Must have something to do with the publisher, Pyr... they don't seem to have any of the series available as nook purchases, just his latest two novels which are published by Orbit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users