Photo
- - - - -

Why are Huskers rated so high pre season?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PirateBo

PirateBo

FuckStick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Love the huskers....wish they would win every game.. However, why do the early polls have us rated so high? I know they are somewhat meaningless but it does not make sense. New offense, new offensive coordinater, QB problems, discipline problems, prior year season ending collapse, major player losses, new demanding conference with different style... The folks making the polls must know something I don't know and Bo and company must be shown a lot of respect. Comments?
Yes Bo is a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
He's an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

JB

#2 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

I think Hoosier did that poll.

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#3 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Interests:Stirring the pot.
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Anyone that believes NU is going to end the season in the top 10 just isn't doing their homework. It's like listening to College Gameday to get the pulse of Husker football. Watching a few highlights from the 2010 NU/KSU game doesn't paint the true picture of what to expect in 2011. They aren't looking at our schedule for starters. Look at it. It's a mother fucker. I see four guaranteed wins (Chatt, Fresno, Wyoming, and Minnesota). Should we handle Northwestern and Iowa? Sure, but under Bo we've shown the ability to play down to anyone and don't come to play week after week. Who knows how good Penn State and Michigan will be but playing them back to back on the road (one or both at night) ain't going to be easy. Wisconsin and Michigan State are going pound our swiss cheese rush defense all game long. Can we score enough to keep up? The Buckeyes will come out emotionally charged with their coach/five star players returning. I see a lot of bumps on that schedule. Probabably four or five losses. You're not getting into the top ten with four losses.

I also think many have forgotten how bad Taylor was towards the end of the season. He wasn't just physically beat up, he had zero confidence. Other issues include: new OC, one proven running back/wide receiver returning on offense. OL is still soft as milk toast. Lost the greatest kicker in the history of the program. Our rush defense as we head into the Big 10?

We've got many more questions than answers. This would be a good year to still be in the Tard North.
"We don't point the finger around here we point the thumb." Bo Pelini responds after another sluggish offensive performance. Not sure which game since our offense is always fucking awful.

"I think we can be real stout against the run, and I think our secondary is going to be really good. I mean, there's potential for us to have our best defense we've had here." Carl Pelini assesses the 2011 defense during spring ball.

"We play to win Championships. If you don't win a Championship it isn't a successful season." Bo's comments during fall camp 2011.

We didn't win a championship but it isn't always about winning championships." Bo Pelini responds after finishing the season 9-3 and a third place finish in the Legends Division.

"We played sloppy." Bo Pelini responds following 2009 TT, 2009 ISU, 2010 SDS, 2010 A&M, 2010 Holiday Bowl, 2011 CHATT, 2011 Fresno ST, 2011 Wisconsin, 2011 Northwestern, and Michigan 2011.

#4 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101622 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Anyone that believes NU is going to end the season in the top 10 just isn't doing their homework. It's like listening to College Gameday to get the pulse of Husker football. Watching a few highlights from the 2010 NU/KSU game doesn't paint the true picture of what to expect in 2011. They aren't looking at our schedule for starters. Look at it. It's a mother fucker. I see four guaranteed wins (Chatt, Fresno, Wyoming, and Minnesota). Should we handle Northwestern and Iowa? Sure, but under Bo we've shown the ability to play down to anyone and don't come to play week after week. Who knows how good Penn State and Michigan will be but playing them back to back on the road (one or both at night) ain't going to be easy. Wisconsin and Michigan State are going pound our swiss cheese rush defense all game long. Can we score enough to keep up? The Buckeyes will come out emotionally charged with their coach/five star players returning. I see a lot of bumps on that schedule. Probabably four or five losses. You're not getting into the top ten with four losses.

I also think many have forgotten how bad Taylor was towards the end of the season. He wasn't just physically beat up, he had zero confidence. Other issues include: new OC, one proven running back/wide receiver returning on offense. OL is still soft as milk toast. Lost the greatest kicker in the history of the program. Our rush defense as we head into the Big 10?

We've got many more questions than answers. This would be a good year to still be in the Tard North.

Who'd you pick in the Derby?
Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#5 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Interests:Stirring the pot.
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

Who'd you pick in the Derby?

Don't care much for horse racing.
"We don't point the finger around here we point the thumb." Bo Pelini responds after another sluggish offensive performance. Not sure which game since our offense is always fucking awful.

"I think we can be real stout against the run, and I think our secondary is going to be really good. I mean, there's potential for us to have our best defense we've had here." Carl Pelini assesses the 2011 defense during spring ball.

"We play to win Championships. If you don't win a Championship it isn't a successful season." Bo's comments during fall camp 2011.

We didn't win a championship but it isn't always about winning championships." Bo Pelini responds after finishing the season 9-3 and a third place finish in the Legends Division.

"We played sloppy." Bo Pelini responds following 2009 TT, 2009 ISU, 2010 SDS, 2010 A&M, 2010 Holiday Bowl, 2011 CHATT, 2011 Fresno ST, 2011 Wisconsin, 2011 Northwestern, and Michigan 2011.

#6 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

better than the "pole" that you normally do
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#7 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101622 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Kto, ja?
Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#8 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Kto, ja?

I think Louie did that Pole.

#9 PirateBo

PirateBo

FuckStick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

I think Sammy did that Pole.
Yes Bo is a pirate, two hundred years too late
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder
He's an over-forty victim of fate
Arriving too late, arriving too late

JB

#10 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

If it’s late May, it must be football season

BY Tom Shatel | 2:53 pm, Wednesday, May. 25 | POSTED IN Tom Shatel

The college football annuals will be hitting the newstands soon. Actually, you can read some of the stuff online already. You wonder if the college football magazines will go away eventually, because college football news and updates on every team can be found every day on the internet. What would we do for “honey” photos then?

Moving on.

Nebraska is getting a lot of love early. Athlon has NU ranked No. 10 in its preseason poll. Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples, an expert of college football and BBQ joints, has the Huskers at No. 12.

Some of us who follow the Big Red right here at home are scratching our collective heads. Top 10? With that gauntlet of a Big Ten schedule? Yes, there’s that defense. But can Tim Beck call plays? Which Taylor Martinez will show up?

The optimistic view says the T-Magic from the first half of the 2010 season will be on hand in 2011. Athlon’s and SI both prop up the Huskers with projections that include a healthy, and effective, Martinez.

So why the skepticism here? Some of us remember how Martinez struggled to break free against Texas, struggled with his passing and his mechanics all season. We remember the Martinez who stayed in the pocket too long against Oklahoma, and the one who looked way out of sorts in the Holiday Bowl, skittering around with happy feet and throwing the ball all over the place.

And that Martinez who was still throwing off the back foot in the spring game — into double-coverage.

Did the injured ankle against Missouri mean that much?

Maybe. Here comes Tom Osborne on Tuesday night, during his radio show on the Husker Network. And the legend threw this tidbit out: if Martinez hadn’t been hurt last year, NU would have won two or three more games and played in a BCS bowl.

Let’s do the math here. Martinez hurt the ankle against Missouri, on Oct. 30. After that game, the Huskers lost at Texas A&M, the Big 12 title game to Oklahoma and the Holiday Bowl.

This is an interesting leap by Osborne, whose pinky finger forgot more about football than I’ll ever know. For one, Tom was never into playing the “what if” game as a coach.

Go back to that Texas A&M game. Our memory is skewed by a wild and crazy Bo Pelini and a going-away present from Big 12 zebras in the form of 16 penalties against NU. Or was it 17? Who’s counting?

That was a tight game, anybody’s game, especially with Alex Henery, to the end. If Martinez is healthy and breaks off a big run or three, does NU get momentum? Do they score touchdowns? Or get the necessary field position to kick the winner?

Or does Texas A&M, which had some speed on defense, shut down Martinez the way Texas did?

Same questions for the OU game. Does a healthy Martinez break free against that fleet Sooner D? Probably not all night. But maybe one or two times he does it. Maybe that changes it. Maybe Shawn Watson doesn’t keep him in the pocket to get sacked seven times if he’s not on a bum ankle.

Maybe NU wins the Big 12 and goes off to the Fiesta Bowl, where UConn waited.

And Shawn Watson saves his job.

Osborne’s comment was not a giant leap to make. But Martinez’ lack of passing mechanics and savvy, along with the way Texas’ defense corralled him, makes you wonder. Based on the defenses of A&M and OU, it’s hard to make that leap. But in those tight games, one or two runs by Martinez might have made the difference.

The bottom line is, Martinez is the most compelling figure heading into fall camp. He’s either a guy who could put Nebraska into the top 10 or higher. Or a guy getting ready to get beat out by Brion Carnes.

Is it August yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users