• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9362 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Matterhorn is written by Karl Merlantes, a highly decorated former Marine Corps officer who served in Vietnam (earned the Navy Cross and two Purple Hearts).

This is probably one of the best books written about Vietnam, particularly for the combat operations that were conducted at the small unit level(company & platoon). Merlantes recounts his tour as a brand new second lieutenant Marine infantry officer assiged to a line unit, Bravo Company. The book details the daily grind of existing (patroling, eating, resting, digging, etc.) in the harsh combat conditions, enduring the elements of the jungle. In telling his tale, Merlantes shows the reader the sheer futillity of how U.S. units conducted the war -- taking ground, at considerable cost in lives, and then giving the ground up -- only to fight again to re-take it, while losing more lives. The undertones of the racial divide that existed within units also shines through, up to and including a fragging that goes wrong (they end up fragging the wrong person). The absolute failures in leadership are amazing and tragic -- like running out of food, resulting in an entire company not eating for over a week, while still conducting difficult combat operations.

This is a very lengthy book -- the hard cover edition is 592 pages. The title is derived from the name of a mountain the Marines fought to take.

I picked up the Kindle version for $9. Worth every penny.

#2 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98362 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Meh.

Gives additional reasons to despise leaches, and "middle management",

Nice bunch of senseless violence, not enough nudity.

Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users