• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

T.O. Comments

Osborne: It's unusual

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on December 5, 2010 at 9:26PM CST

Talked a little bit with Tom Osborne tonight about the strange circumstance now before the Nebraska football team -- a rematch with a 6-6 team it played three months ago. Osborne had a similar thing happen to him as a coach in 1978, after his team knocked off No. 1 Oklahoma 17-14 in Lincoln. But the next week NU lost 35-31 to Missouri and James Wilder, leading the Orange Bowl to match up the Huskers and Sooners again in their bowl game.

OU won the second round 31-24.

"I think that sometimes people aren't terribly wild about playing the same team twice in a year," Osborne said. "It's all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

"It's unusual. I think that the Holiday Bowl is a little bit limited in the selections that they have in that they have just a handful of teams that are bowl eligible." (With USC out of bowl contention because of NCAA sanctions, the Pac-10 has just four bowl-eligible teams this year: Oregon, Stanford, Arizona and Washington).

"It seemed to be about the only way they could go," Osborne said of the Holiday Bowl's matchup that pits a Big 12 team against a Pac-10 team. "Nothing against Washington. The thing that was attractive to (the Holiday Bowl) about Washington is that Washington had won their last three games. So anyway, it's just the way it turned out."

Nebraska fell to the Holiday Bowl after the Insight Bowl picked Missouri ahead of the Huskers. The Tigers are ranked six BCS spots ahead of the Huskers, though Nebraska won the North by beating Missouri head-to-head 31-17.

NU also has a significant alumni base in Arizona, home of the Insight Bowl. That's the sort of detail that isn't missed by bowl reps when they're offering out invites.

Given all that, many left the stadium last night assuming Nebraska was bound for the Insight Bowl and a game against soon-to-be conference brother Iowa.

I asked Osborne if he thought the Big 12 had any worries about the possibility of Nebraska and Iowa in the Insight Bowl serving as a sort of Big Ten showcase for next year?

"I don't know what the Big 12 was thinking. I couldn't tell you," Osborne said. "I don't think it would have been any problem for us to play Iowa certainly."

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel and Missouri senior associate athletic director Mark Alnutt dismissed any suggestion that the Big 12 Conference encouraged the Insight to choose Missouri over Nebraska, since its moving to the Big Ten.

“They’re going to look at records and the people who are on a roll,” Alnutt told the Columbia Daily Tribune's Dave Matter. “They’re going to look at BCS standings, and we’re on top of Nebraska with that. … But I don’t think that has any bearing with Nebraska going to the Big Ten because that bowl still has a partnership with the Big Ten next year.”

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#22 rr05

rr05

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1996 posts
  • Interests:sports
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hopefully the coaches and players look at playing UW as a chance to kick some west coast ass in a bowl game and end the season on a positive note. Alot of time you see a team that feels they get slighted in their bowl game go out and play like bucket of dicks. Also, maybe T-bag gets healthy, Watson takes a gig somewhere else and NU makes Jake Locker look terrible for a 2nd time in 3 months.
My best guess would be that Beebe got 1 last shot in to teach us a lesson. But we got the last laugh. NU gets to spend the holidays in San Diego while Beebe and Deloss spend some quality time together at UTerus bowl game. (hehe)
You're all a bunch of fairweather fucks!

#23 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Interests:Stirring the pot.
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

But we got the last laugh.

Not so sure about that.

Beebe has been laughing his ass off the last twenty-four hours.
"We don't point the finger around here we point the thumb." Bo Pelini responds after another sluggish offensive performance. Not sure which game since our offense is always fucking awful.

"I think we can be real stout against the run, and I think our secondary is going to be really good. I mean, there's potential for us to have our best defense we've had here." Carl Pelini assesses the 2011 defense during spring ball.

"We play to win Championships. If you don't win a Championship it isn't a successful season." Bo's comments during fall camp 2011.

We didn't win a championship but it isn't always about winning championships." Bo Pelini responds after finishing the season 9-3 and a third place finish in the Legends Division.

"We played sloppy." Bo Pelini responds following 2009 TT, 2009 ISU, 2010 SDS, 2010 A&M, 2010 Holiday Bowl, 2011 CHATT, 2011 Fresno ST, 2011 Wisconsin, 2011 Northwestern, and Michigan 2011.

#24 atlHUSKER

atlHUSKER

Offical Obama A.S.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11730 posts
  • Interests:Yes they deserve to die, and i hope the burn in hell!
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

But we got the last laugh.

Not so sure about that.

Beebe has been laughing his ass off the last twenty-four hours.

we'll see if he's laughing in a few years when the big12 finally falls and he's unemployed
Who the fuck is atlHUSKER?
Posted Image

#25 Texker

Texker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Texas A&M

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:34 AM

Anyone who thinks the departure of NU from the Texa$$12 was gonna be clean has some damn good connections. There's a price to pay when this shit happens, rather it be in dollars, refs, or bowl invites just deal with it and move on. The freakin conference ain't gonna exist in 5 years so who the hell cares. It takes less than a case of Bud Light to figure that out.

#26 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Anyone who thinks the departure of NU from the Texa$12 was gonna be clean has some damn good connections. There's a price to pay when this shit happens, rather it be in dollars, refs, or bowl invites just deal with it and move on. The freakin conference ain't gonna exist in 5 years so who the hell cares. It takes less than a case of Bud Light to figure that out.

are you still sandy?

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#27 Scrotum McDick

Scrotum McDick

Karma's Bitch 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12933 posts
  • Interests:Blowing dudes, and running a train on other dudes.
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

Anyone who thinks the departure of NU from the Texa$12 was gonna be clean has some damn good connections. There's a price to pay when this shit happens, rather it be in dollars, refs, or bowl invites just deal with it and move on. The freakin conference ain't gonna exist in 5 years so who the hell cares. It takes less than a case of Bud Light to figure that out.

are you still sandy?

Obviously.

NEBRASKA, THE HOME OF THE MAROON, SILVER, AND BLACK!

#28 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9376 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Anyone who thinks the departure of NU from the Texa$$12 was gonna be clean has some damn good connections. There's a price to pay when this shit happens, rather it be in dollars, refs, or bowl invites just deal with it and move on. The freakin conference ain't gonna exist in 5 years so who the hell cares. It takes less than a case of Bud Light to figure that out.

Fuck you, aggy!

#29 Texker

Texker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Texas A&M

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

are you still sandy?

Only to the extent that u r icy

#30 Texker

Texker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Texas A&M

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

Fuck you, aggy!

Feelin' the luv.....ty

#31 Yossarian

Yossarian

won a major award -fijords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Lord's work.
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

are you still here?

Fixed.

#32 Yossarian

Yossarian

won a major award -fijords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Lord's work.
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

Another prime benefit of leaving the Mack-10 is that I now have ten teams I can root against regardless of who they play. It used to just be Notre Dame, Michigan, any team coached by Spurrier and Neuheisel, and any team from Florida. Now it is anyone playing against a Mack-10 team. Of course, we will always have Colorado.

Of course, I will get a start on all this by rooting against Texas in their Bowl Game.

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do when Notre Dame and Miami play in their bowl.

#33 ass master

ass master

I like 'em dark and thick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3768 posts
  • Interests:Running, football, tv, coffee, fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

I about crapped my pants when I saw this on the news last night.

Washington? Holiday Bowl? Seriously?

But honestly, maybe playing in this crap fest will nudge Bo into making some much-needed fucking changes to our offensive philosopy & staff.

jiKCvn1.jpg22ayh3.jpg

#34 Texker

Texker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4268 posts
  • Texas A&M

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

This match-up has pitiful loss written all over it.

#35 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

This match-up has pitiful loss written all over it.

yes it does..

10-4

fuck you watson

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#36 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

We are heading to a bowl who is supposed to take the FIFTH PLACE Big 12 team.

That's not correct. The Holiday Bowl had the fifth selection. Bowls are (obviously) not required to select teams in order of ranking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users