#1 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Does anyone have recommendations for what software apps to use to remote access PCs to help family members? I've never used GoToMyPC, but figure it could work for this. I know Windows also has a built-in Remote Assistance program, but I've never used it and never heard anyone ever talk about it. Are there other options out there? I have family with XP, Vista, and Win7 and I have access to all three OS as well. Thanks in advance for any tips. Basically parents and in-laws call with questions and it takes 10X longer to explain things over the phone, if that even helps them, and we're all separated by several states so it's not easy to wait until the next family visit.

#2 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Does anyone have recommendations for what software apps to use to remote access PCs to help family members? I've never used GoToMyPC, but figure it could work for this. I know Windows also has a built-in Remote Assistance program, but I've never used it and never heard anyone ever talk about it. Are there other options out there? I have family with XP, Vista, and Win7 and I have access to all three OS as well. Thanks in advance for any tips. Basically parents and in-laws call with questions and it takes 10X longer to explain things over the phone, if that even helps them, and we're all separated by several states so it's not easy to wait until the next family visit.

enable remote desktop connection.

config THEIR router to forward port 3389 to the ip address of the comp you want to control.

have them add a user WITH password that only has access remotely( set securtity to deny logon locally)

have their regular user name deny logon thru term services.

viola ... secure connection.

or use realvnc, which I happen to like a lot.

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#3 blkshirt

blkshirt

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

I've used LogMeIn and like it a lot...
Welcome to the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

Blind retarded monkeys in a room full of bananna scented air fresheners could coach this team to a win over Ball State - Coop

I think I'm going to throw up. The Huskers suck more than I do. - hskrfn38

#4 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

Windows Remote Desktop works very well.

#5 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

enable remote desktop connection.

config THEIR router to forward port 3389 to the ip address of the comp you want to control.

have them add a user WITH password that only has access remotely( set securtity to deny logon locally)

have their regular user name deny logon thru term services.

viola ... secure connection.

or use realvnc, which I happen to like a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#6 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12983 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Blind Melon Chitlin

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#7 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Blind Melon Chitlin

http://www.bing.com/...d Melon Chitlin

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#8 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

Blind Melon Chitlin

http://www.bing.com/...d Melon Chitlin

AZ doesn't bing. Could you tell him what it says?

:emot-xd:

#9 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

If the remote computer is infected with a virus/Trojan/etc, can it be transferred to the computer I am using to remote access to assist with clearing it off?

#10 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

If the remote computer is infected with a virus/Trojan/etc, can it be transferred to the computer I am using to remote access to assist with clearing it off?

no.

poster-38.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users