#1 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

I'm considering updating to the new Sprint Evo. I had been considering the HTC Hero before finding out about the Evo a couple months ago, or even an iPhone. But the Evo looks like and is advertised as the best out there today for touchscreen smartphones. I've only ever had Sprint for cell service, so staying with them isn't an issue for me. I've been happy with their coverage and haven't had any customer service issues. I'm also not concerned with 4G, I know I'm not in an area that has it yet so I don't care if any phone is "truly" 4G or not. There are just a lot of Android or iPhone apps I'd like to utilize so I'm just working out which Android phone to go with vs. iPhone.

#2 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Two guys who work for me have them.

The battery situation is as bad as advertised. It will not last a full day. An extended battery is not going to fix it either, There's already a pretty big battery in it. It is probably a bit too big as well, but that's a preference thing. Finally at least in Omaha, VZW has much better 3G speeds.

After seeing one in person and getting first hand information on the battery life situation I pulled the trigger and put an Incredible on backorder. I won't have buyers remorse now.

#3 Scrotum McDick

Scrotum McDick

Karma's Bitch 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12933 posts
  • Interests:Blowing dudes, and running a train on other dudes.
  • Nebraska

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have Sprint and Samsung Moment. Since I upgraded to 2.1 the battery lasts a full 16 hours even if I use it a lot. It barely lasted 8 before that and I would have to plug it in during the day.

NEBRASKA, THE HOME OF THE MAROON, SILVER, AND BLACK!

#4 blkshirt

blkshirt

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

Not having a keyboard sucks... I have the HTC Touch Pro 2 and have been very happy with it once I got WinMo 6.5 on it. I think this is probably the last time I'll have a windows based phone, I was going to look at the Samsung phone running android but my mom and sister hated their Omnia's (Verizon) so I decided to stay away. I'm sure in a year or two when I'm eligible to upgrade there will be something way better out there...
Welcome to the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

Blind retarded monkeys in a room full of bananna scented air fresheners could coach this team to a win over Ball State - Coop

I think I'm going to throw up. The Huskers suck more than I do. - hskrfn38

#5 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Not having a keyboard sucks... I have the HTC Touch Pro 2 and have been very happy with it once I got WinMo 6.5 on it. I think this is probably the last time I'll have a windows based phone, I was going to look at the Samsung phone running android but my mom and sister hated their Omnia's (Verizon) so I decided to stay away. I'm sure in a year or two when I'm eligible to upgrade there will be something way better out there...

The Omnia is a winmo phone though... The android handset they have looks very good, especially the AMOLED screen they're putting on it. It's also coming loaded with Swype which is way cool. That's a technology that actually makes a soft keyboard usable. It's worth a look if you can stomach ATT.

VZW has the Moto Droid X launching next week, it will be similar to the EVO in that it has a 4+ " screen. There's a lot of very good android phones hitting the market at the moment.

#6 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

Step 2 of a 1 step banning program

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Interests:Fun
  • Colorado

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

The wife picked up an Evo today. Even with a 25% plan discount available to us with ATT I can bring myself to pay more such a crappy network. Sprint has always been good to me and I'll probably get an Evo next fall unless Sprint has the iphone or something better (Droid X?) becomes available.

First impression is that the screen is big and sharp. Nice camera though grainy at times. Have not looked at apps or email yet. I like the bigger screen as its easier to type on than the smaller ones. A larger phone is more comfortable to me anyways.

I'll post more as we get to know the device.

#7 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

I got my Incredible this week, and love it. I'll look at the Droid X, but the damn thing is bigger than the EVO, and has a funky back. Not sure there's a lot of pluses to it. They claim it might be less battery hungry, but I'd be surprised if it's significant.

Rhapsody on this phone is awesome. I've been waiting for the ultimate Jukebox MP3 player and this is it.

Android is the shit. Netflix needs to finish up their app and get it out there, and I need a Cisco VPN client, and it's damn near perfect.

#8 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Android is the shit. Netflix needs to finish up their app and get it out there, and I need a Cisco VPN client, and it's damn near perfect.

Agreed.

#9 johnnyhusker82

johnnyhusker82

ZEN Master of REDOUT!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101473 posts
  • Interests:Huskers, Reading, & Guns
  • Nebraska

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

Geeks.
Posted Image

What is your favorite color?

Go Big Red!

#10 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Anybody losing their network / internet access?

#11 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:46 AM

Nope, got a droid not an Iphone 4. :)

Seriously, no, signal has been great, as good or better than my old LG phones, and definately better than the blackberry, but I'm on big red, not sprint.

There's a couple apps that might help you out, one is called 'real signal' that displays the 1x and EVDO signals separately, and you can customize what denotes each level yourself. That will allow you to see more clearly what type of signal you have.

The other is called 'Network' which allows you to quickly get to the phone info / testing menu. I've read that people have had luck getting better signal by changing their preferred network type from CDMA Auto to GSM auto or GSM/CDMA auto.

One thing that comes to mind, if you have WIFI turned on, you might be dropping that signal which could cause the phone to get confused. I had an issue early connecting to a unsecured network that required a login/acknowlegement and the internet wouldn't work because it thought it was connected fine, but the router was dumping packets.

#12 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Are you dropping the internet all the time, or just in a certain location. You can check your signal easily by going to settings -> about phone -> network it will show your signal strength there if you don't want to install any apps. higher is better (-70 is a very strong signal -105 is a very weak signal). The network page shows just the best signal (1X 90% of the time), the Real Signal app I mentioned above goes into more detail.

#13 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thaks coop Ill look at those. Since its not my phone I cant answer most of it. :(

And my bleakberry sucks. Until december. :jealousy:

#14 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image

Wife and I got the newly released, Best Buy exclusive (so far) white Evo. Luckily just the back is white and with a case you don't see that much of it. The Evo has been completely out of stock around here with locations only getting in a handful at best a week and selling out immediately. Ours were the last two at six different Best Buy within a 60 mi radius; same for area Sprint stores, Radioshack, etc. - that's all Evo's I mean. The white ones just came out Sunday/Monday, which is why they were even around at Best Buy.

We're still learning about the phone as we upgraded from the LG Lotus. So far though connection has been great and the battery lasts the day (we charge each night). Nothing negative at all on initial impressions after a few days use.

#15 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Posted Image

Wife and I got the newly released, Best Buy exclusive (so far) white Evo. Luckily just the back is white and with a case you don't see that much of it. The Evo has been completely out of stock around here with locations only getting in a handful at best a week and selling out immediately. Ours were the last two at six different Best Buy within a 60 mi radius; same for area Sprint stores, Radioshack, etc. - that's all Evo's I mean. The white ones just came out Sunday/Monday, which is why they were even around at Best Buy.

We're still learning about the phone as we upgraded from the LG Lotus. So far though connection has been great and the battery lasts the day (we charge each night). Nothing negative at all on initial impressions after a few days use.

We had to hunt around for ours too. WalMart had it but because neither my wife or I own the account they couldn't do the deal. The Best Buy employee was apparently not burdened with such a trivial thing. My wife does charge hers overnight. Supposedly it will be coming to Vz in January.

#16 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Our area actually just went live with 4G today. Sweet.

#17 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Now root em, and you can get a little more out of the phone.

unrevoked.com

#18 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Now root em, and you can get a little more out of the phone.

unrevoked.com

What does this do for me?

#19 Coop

Coop

(Jersey Retired)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16360 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

It gives you super user access to the phone. You can then do wifi tethering and use other applications which require root. Custom skinning, and ultimately you can install custom roms which give you either new versions of Android, or features not found in the stock builds provided HTC, Moto or whoever. It's definately an advanced thing to do... Don't recommend it to everyone, but it's not something you have to be a total geek to figure out and benefit from.

One thing I do recommend to everyone is to try out the Droid X multi touch keyboard that's been ported. It's far superior to the standard keyboard. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=717544

Swype is also pretty good, but the beta's closed at the moment.

#20 fieron

fieron

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

It gives you super user access to the phone. You can then do wifi tethering and use other applications which require root. Custom skinning, and ultimately you can install custom roms which give you either new versions of Android, or features not found in the stock builds provided HTC, Moto or whoever. It's definately an advanced thing to do... Don't recommend it to everyone, but it's not something you have to be a total geek to figure out and benefit from.

One thing I do recommend to everyone is to try out the Droid X multi touch keyboard that's been ported. It's far superior to the standard keyboard. http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=717544

Swype is also pretty good, but the beta's closed at the moment.

I'm trying to see if I can get by without rooting. For starters an app to access the SD card will help. I know there are many to choose from, I just haven't had the time to try some. Same for a task killer/app/file manager (I have a task killer, but I think there might be better options for app/file management). Any advice on removing pre-installed apps without going to root?

We're still happy with the Evos. The battery hasn't be an issue for us at all either (again, we charge them every night).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users