RedHell

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4737 posts
  • Interests:Burning kittens in front of crowds of children
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Barfknecht: What's the right price to get Boulder rolling?

What would you pay to be a fly on the wall for the next two weeks inside the Colorado football complex?

Maybe that's how the cash-strapped CU athletic department can afford to buy out the contract of coach Dan Hawkins, who is on the clock now that a fourth straight losing record in his four seasons is assured.

Making matters worse, the Buffaloes (3-7, 2-4 Big 12) likely will suffer another pounding in front of a national ESPN audience at No. 12 Oklahoma State on Thursday night. And Nebraska could inflict another clubbing Nov. 27 on ABC.

To analyze Hawkins, start with the numbers. Wise, old football men say you are what your record says you are:

• Overall: 16-31 (.340), with season marks of 2-10, 6-7, 5-7 and 3-7. He is the 15th man to coach CU football for at least three years. His winning percentage is 14th on that list, ahead of only Chuck Fairbanks.

• Big 12: 10-20 (.333), going 2-6, 4-4, 2-6 and 2-4.

• Road games: 2-18 (.100). The wins were both in 2007 against Baylor and Texas Tech.

• Road vs. Big 12 North: 0-10, a particularly ugly number considering the mediocre play in the division recently. Plus, Hawkins lost to first-year coach Paul Rhoads at Iowa State and Bill Snyder in his first year back coaching Kansas State this season.

Put that in the context of Hawkins' proclamation at a team banquet that 2009 was a “10 wins, no excuses'' season and he looks like a goner.

But there are complications to pulling the plug, starting with Colorado's finances.

Millions of dollars were borrowed to pay off Gary Barnett when he was fired in 2005. Now it would take about $3.4 million to buy out Hawkins after the two-year contract extension he got in October 2008 stretched his deal through 2012.

Colorado has struggled to maintain an inner circle of “go-to” donors who write the really big checks when times get tough. One person with longtime CU ties told me that he hadn't seen a $1 million donor in football in 15 years.

That source also said some boosters have contacted former players to create a buyout pool. How successful or widespread that effort has become is unknown.

Something else Hawkins has on his side is that Chancellor Phil DiStefano and Athletic Director Mike Bohn hired him. To admit a big mistake after four years puts those two in their own vat of boiling water.

But can DiStefano and Bohn afford not to fire Hawkins?

Consider the following scenario with disgruntled fans: Season-ticket sales drop 10 percent to 15 percent. Donations to football drop a similar amount. Concession revenue and sales of athletic gear decline.

Soon, you're trying to decide whether to spend $3 million to replace Hawkins or lose $2 million to $3 million a year by keeping him with no guarantee he will turn things around.

Two other sources with ties to CU athletics said there are concerns about losing scholarships under the NCAA's academic progress rules because of the number of players who have left the program.

I tried to get Barnett's opinion on all this. I've known him for 25 years. But he wanted nothing to do with this conversation.

His only comment was a response to Bohn's statements earlier this season that people didn't understand “the mess” Hawkins had inherited.

“I don't think that's a fair or accurate assessment by any means, and you can put an exclamation point on that,” said Barnett, who had an 82 percent graduation rate and won four Big 12 North titles in his final five seasons.

If Colorado fires Hawkins, is there an inexpensive candidate who can stir the masses?

The name Jon Embree might pop up. Embree is a former tight end and assistant coach at CU and a former assistant head coach at UCLA. He is sitting out this season after being fired from Herm Edwards' staff with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Embree drew support from ex-Buffaloes coach Bill McCartney after Barnett's firing.

McCartney, in a December 2005 interview with the Rocky Mountain News, said Embree “is a guy with fire in his belly. He's a Buff, and if they give him consideration, just watch the groundswell.''

Embree also is African-American, something CU insiders think could help in recruiting.

On Monday's Big 12 teleconference, Hawkins didn't sound like a man whose job is in danger. When I asked what recent communication he has had with Bohn and DiStefano, he laughed.

“They've been great. They've been awesome,” Hawkins said. “Mike's been great, and Phil's been great. They've both been very supportive about the whole deal.”

Does he feel his job is in any jeopardy?

“No, not at all,” Hawkins said. “I think they understand the nature and scope of the position we have here and all the things that go on and have gone on.

“Everybody wants to win more games. But in terms of helping get this place back on track after what it went through, I think we've had to take on a number of tasks and have done a great job with that.”

A great job?

That sounds like a Bill Callahan “I'm doing an excellent job in all areas” quote just before he was canned at Nebraska.

god damn, talk about getting whacked in the balls.
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8
Psalm 109:8
"Let his days be few; and let another take his office. "

#2 Guest[wred]

Guest[wred]
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Barfknecht: What's the right price to get Boulder rolling?

What would you pay to be a fly on the wall for the next two weeks inside the Colorado football complex?

Maybe that's how the cash-strapped CU athletic department can afford to buy out the contract of coach Dan Hawkins, who is on the clock now that a fourth straight losing record in his four seasons is assured.

Making matters worse, the Buffaloes (3-7, 2-4 Big 12) likely will suffer another pounding in front of a national ESPN audience at No. 12 Oklahoma State on Thursday night. And Nebraska could inflict another clubbing Nov. 27 on ABC.

To analyze Hawkins, start with the numbers. Wise, old football men say you are what your record says you are:

• Overall: 16-31 (.340), with season marks of 2-10, 6-7, 5-7 and 3-7. He is the 15th man to coach CU football for at least three years. His winning percentage is 14th on that list, ahead of only Chuck Fairbanks.

• Big 12: 10-20 (.333), going 2-6, 4-4, 2-6 and 2-4.

• Road games: 2-18 (.100). The wins were both in 2007 against Baylor and Texas Tech.

• Road vs. Big 12 North: 0-10, a particularly ugly number considering the mediocre play in the division recently. Plus, Hawkins lost to first-year coach Paul Rhoads at Iowa State and Bill Snyder in his first year back coaching Kansas State this season.

Put that in the context of Hawkins' proclamation at a team banquet that 2009 was a “10 wins, no excuses'' season and he looks like a goner.

But there are complications to pulling the plug, starting with Colorado's finances.

Millions of dollars were borrowed to pay off Gary Barnett when he was fired in 2005. Now it would take about $3.4 million to buy out Hawkins after the two-year contract extension he got in October 2008 stretched his deal through 2012.

Colorado has struggled to maintain an inner circle of “go-to” donors who write the really big checks when times get tough. One person with longtime CU ties told me that he hadn't seen a $1 million donor in football in 15 years.

That source also said some boosters have contacted former players to create a buyout pool. How successful or widespread that effort has become is unknown.

Something else Hawkins has on his side is that Chancellor Phil DiStefano and Athletic Director Mike Bohn hired him. To admit a big mistake after four years puts those two in their own vat of boiling water.

But can DiStefano and Bohn afford not to fire Hawkins?

Consider the following scenario with disgruntled fans: Season-ticket sales drop 10 percent to 15 percent. Donations to football drop a similar amount. Concession revenue and sales of athletic gear decline.

Soon, you're trying to decide whether to spend $3 million to replace Hawkins or lose $2 million to $3 million a year by keeping him with no guarantee he will turn things around.

Two other sources with ties to CU athletics said there are concerns about losing scholarships under the NCAA's academic progress rules because of the number of players who have left the program.

I tried to get Barnett's opinion on all this. I've known him for 25 years. But he wanted nothing to do with this conversation.

His only comment was a response to Bohn's statements earlier this season that people didn't understand “the mess” Hawkins had inherited.

“I don't think that's a fair or accurate assessment by any means, and you can put an exclamation point on that,” said Barnett, who had an 82 percent graduation rate and won four Big 12 North titles in his final five seasons.

If Colorado fires Hawkins, is there an inexpensive candidate who can stir the masses?

The name Jon Embree might pop up. Embree is a former tight end and assistant coach at CU and a former assistant head coach at UCLA. He is sitting out this season after being fired from Herm Edwards' staff with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Embree drew support from ex-Buffaloes coach Bill McCartney after Barnett's firing.

McCartney, in a December 2005 interview with the Rocky Mountain News, said Embree “is a guy with fire in his belly. He's a Buff, and if they give him consideration, just watch the groundswell.''

Embree also is African-American, something CU insiders think could help in recruiting.

On Monday's Big 12 teleconference, Hawkins didn't sound like a man whose job is in danger. When I asked what recent communication he has had with Bohn and DiStefano, he laughed.

“They've been great. They've been awesome,” Hawkins said. “Mike's been great, and Phil's been great. They've both been very supportive about the whole deal.”

Does he feel his job is in any jeopardy?

“No, not at all,” Hawkins said. “I think they understand the nature and scope of the position we have here and all the things that go on and have gone on.

“Everybody wants to win more games. But in terms of helping get this place back on track after what it went through, I think we've had to take on a number of tasks and have done a great job with that.”

A great job?

That sounds like a Bill Callahan “I'm doing an excellent job in all areas” quote just before he was canned at Nebraska.

god damn, talk about getting whacked in the balls.

Hawkins is definately as dumb as he fucking looks. Pretty similar to Howdy Doody as a matter of fact. But I really hate to see him go

#3 CU SUCKS

CU SUCKS

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

I'm ready to watch Okie Lite give sCUm another loss. I can already feel a chub coming on just thinking about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users