• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Colorado (1-2) at West Virginia (2-1)

The Sports Network

DATE & TIME: Thursday, October 1st, 6:30 p.m. (Central)

FACTS & STATS: Site: Milan Puskar Stadium (60,000) -- Morgantown, West Virginia. Television:ESPN. Home Record: Colorado 1-1, WVU 2-0. Away Record: Colorado 0-1, WVU 0-1. Neutral Record: Colorado 0-0, WVU 0-0. Conference Record: Colorado 0-0, WVU 0-0. Series Record: Colorado leads, 1-0.

GAME NOTES: The Colorado Buffaloes and West Virginia Mountaineers take center stage this Thursday, as they clash under the lights of Milan Puskar Stadium in a non-conference showdown.

The Buffs come into the game with a 1-2 record with their most recent game resulting in a 24-0 blanking of Wyoming on September 19th. It marked the team's first shutout since capturing a 42-0 victory over Miami-Ohio two seasons ago. With its confidence now restored, Colorado will try to even its non-conference record before opening Big 12 play against highly ranked Texas on October 10th.

As for WVU, it had a chance to possibly crack the Top 25 in its last outing, but instead allowed Auburn to come from behind for a 41-30 decision on September 19th. It was the first road game and loss of the season for the Mountaineers, who opened their campaign with back-to-back home wins over Liberty and East Carolina.

WVU will now try to get back on track and in the process avenge last year's loss to Colorado, 17-14, in overtime at Boulder. That was the first-ever meeting between the programs on the gridiron.

The Buffs came out slowly in their first two contests, so to correct the situation they used a no-huddle offense to begin the game against Wyoming. The result was a 69-yard drive that ended with a touchdown on their first possession of the game. Colorado went on to post 326 yards of total offense on its way to a 24-0 victory. The biggest difference from prior weeks was the ground attack, which amassed 151 yards and three scores. Tailback Rodney Stewart returned from a hamstring strain and led the way with 127 yards and two touchdowns against Wyoming. The 5-7, 170-pound Stewart isn't all that big, but he showed his toughness with 32 carries in his best effort of the campaign. Quarterback Cody Hawkins had some pressure removed from him thanks to the success on the ground and he threw for 175 yards on 17-of-31 tosses. Hawkins did a nice job engineering the offense and he has now passed for 753 yards, with five touchdowns and four picks after three games. Scotty McKnight is clearly his favorite target with 20 receptions, including five last game. McKnight, who has caught a pass in 27 straight games, had 77 receiving yards against Wyoming and a rushing touchdown.

Colorado clearly turned in its best defensive performance of the season against Wyoming, limiting the Cowboys to just 230 total yards in a shutout victory. It was quite an effort by the defense, which had allowed an average of 38.5 ppg and 500 total ypg through the first two games. The Buffs did a terrific job in holding Wyoming to only 76 rushing yards, while allowing the Cowboys to make only 4-of-18 third down conversion attempts. The unit even did nice work getting to the quarterback, recording four sacks in the win. B.J. Beatty accounted for two for those sacks, and Jeff Smart finished with six tackles. Smart currently tops the roster with 29 stops on the year and the linebacker also has an interception and sack to his credit.

Despite jumping out to a 21-10 lead and rolling up 509 yards of total offense, the Mountaineers were unable to defeat Auburn because of costly mistakes. WVU turned the ball over six times and those miscues resulted in 24 points for Auburn in a 41-30 setback. The Mountaineers have now committed 10 turnovers through the first three games and that has overshadowed their production of 485.3 total ypg. Quarterback Jarrett Brown accounted for five of the miscues, including four picks and he was even knocked from the game late in the fourth quarter. The dual-threat gunslinger did throw for 221 yards and a score, in addition to rushing for 66 yards, but none of it mattered because of the turnovers. Brown, who is listed as questionable with a wrist injury, is much better than he showed last game and for the season he has completed 68.5 percent of his tosses for 798 yards and five scores. He has also rushed for 208 yards and another touchdown. Jock Sanders is his go-to-guy and he ranks among the top receiver around with 29 catches and 309 receiving yards. The talented Sanders did most of his damage last game, catching a school-record tying 12 balls for 115 yards and a touchdown. Tailback Noel Devine also enjoyed a successful game against Auburn, as he toted 15 times 127 yards and three touchdowns. The speedy and elusive Devine already has five touchdowns, one more than he scored all of last year, and he is averaging 6.3 yards per carry on the campaign.

Defensively, the Mountaineers did what they could against Auburn, as the unit was put in bad spots over and over due to the six turnovers by the offense. WVU did give up 400 yards to Auburn, but it also held one of top ground attacks to just 100 yards on 41 attempts. The defense, which is allowing just 83.7 rushing ypg on the season, did a solid job despite two key losses due to injury in linebacker Reed Williams (foot) and defensive tackle Scooter Berry (shoulder). Both players are listed as questionable, although they are both expected to return and make an immediate impact. J.T. Thomas has stepped up his play for the defense and he had a team-high nine stops against Auburn. For the season, Thomas leads WVU with 22 tackles, including 4.5 for losses.

The Mountaineers are a bit banged up, but nothing too serious, and they should have their way against Colorado. WVU's electric offense will be too much for the Buffs to handle and its defense should also have success in shutting down Colorado's inconsistent attack. Sports Network Predicted Outcome: West Virginia 31, Colorado 13

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#2 CU SUCKS

CU SUCKS

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

I hope sCUm gets taken to the wood shed and Cody gets ass raped by a hillbilly after the game.

#3 RedHell

RedHell

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4737 posts
  • Interests:Burning kittens in front of crowds of children
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

I hope sCUm gets taken to the wood shed and Cody gets ass raped by a hillbilly after the game.

Well, the second part is impossible, since Cody is an adult and is according to West Virginia law, mentally capable - because without age and retardation being factors, Cody can't be raped since he will consent to being ass rammed by a hillbilly or three.
Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8
Psalm 109:8
"Let his days be few; and let another take his office. "

#4 Husker Bob

Husker Bob

Space Herpie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

WV has some serious butterfinger issues.
Posted Image

#5 BDB

BDB

Raging Geek. fear my code!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

CU must be getting lucky to still be in it. Saw Corky's int that was fumbled right back.

#6 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

WV at least took the lead before half.

Surprised there is no mNhhh in this thread, enjoying another CU along with a Miller Chill. Or perhaps he switched to Bud Light Lime so he can "get it in the can".

#7 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

#8 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Holy shit, four WV fumbles in first half?! Hope that means blowout in second half since they are still up.

#9 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Interests:Stirring the pot.
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

West Virginia is doing everything in their power to lose this game.
"We don't point the finger around here we point the thumb." Bo Pelini responds after another sluggish offensive performance. Not sure which game since our offense is always fucking awful.

"I think we can be real stout against the run, and I think our secondary is going to be really good. I mean, there's potential for us to have our best defense we've had here." Carl Pelini assesses the 2011 defense during spring ball.

"We play to win Championships. If you don't win a Championship it isn't a successful season." Bo's comments during fall camp 2011.

We didn't win a championship but it isn't always about winning championships." Bo Pelini responds after finishing the season 9-3 and a third place finish in the Legends Division.

"We played sloppy." Bo Pelini responds following 2009 TT, 2009 ISU, 2010 SDS, 2010 A&M, 2010 Holiday Bowl, 2011 CHATT, 2011 Fresno ST, 2011 Wisconsin, 2011 Northwestern, and Michigan 2011.

#10 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

West Virginia is doing everything in their power to lose this game.

That's exactly what it seems like.

WV up by 11 now. Cody int upcoming.

#11 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Surprised there is no mNhhh in this thread, enjoying another CU along with a Miller Chill. Or perhaps he switched to Bud Light Lime so he can "get it in the can".

I'm having a Pacifico and pop corn, thank you.

I've only seen the 3rd quarter on, but from what it sounds like the hilljacks are trying to gift wrap the game and CU still can't seem to take advantage. That WV qb is awful....overthrowing wide open receivers and holding on to the ball way too long.

CU is like Nebraska in a sense, only on a lower level. They have a few fast skill guys, but overall are too slow and too white. And they continue to stick with the Hobbit at quarterback.

#12 Scrotum McDick

Scrotum McDick

Karma's Bitch 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12934 posts
  • Interests:Blowing dudes, and running a train on other dudes.
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

CU is like Nebraska in a sense, only on a lower level. They have a few fast skill guys, but overall are too slow and too white. And they continue to stick with the Hobbit at quarterback.

Thanks for your assessment, BoxCar Chilli.

NEBRASKA, THE HOME OF THE MAROON, SILVER, AND BLACK!

#13 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Posted Image That hurt.

#14 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

I'm guessing that Garry Barnett would classify CU's field goal kicker as "awful."
"We don't point the finger around here we point the thumb." Bo Pelini responds after another sluggish offensive performance. Not sure which game since our offense is always fucking awful.

"I think we can be real stout against the run, and I think our secondary is going to be really good. I mean, there's potential for us to have our best defense we've had here." Carl Pelini assesses the 2011 defense during spring ball.

"We play to win Championships. If you don't win a Championship it isn't a successful season." Bo's comments during fall camp 2011.

We didn't win a championship but it isn't always about winning championships." Bo Pelini responds after finishing the season 9-3 and a third place finish in the Legends Division.

"We played sloppy." Bo Pelini responds following 2009 TT, 2009 ISU, 2010 SDS, 2010 A&M, 2010 Holiday Bowl, 2011 CHATT, 2011 Fresno ST, 2011 Wisconsin, 2011 Northwestern, and Michigan 2011.

#15 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

I am not at all impressed with West Virginia. They look soft.

#16 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

I'm guessing that Garry Barnett would classify CU's field goal kicker as "awful."

Callahan wouldn't let him kick from over 40. :emot-xd:

#17 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Mangino could have made it in through that hole.

#18 Boxcar Willie

Boxcar Willie

cool guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

Bill Stewart will not be at West Virginia once Rich Rod's recruits leave town.

Clueless career assistant.

#19 BDB

BDB

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10513 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Mangino could have made it in through that hole.

Didn't CU have the ball when I went to take a piss? Int by Hawkins? CU needs a 19 point drive here. :emot-xd:

#20 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Bill Stewart is a fucking idiot.

He's no Brian Kelly, that's for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users