Varsity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

http://www.wikiality.com/Nebraska

Discovery

Nebraska was discovered in 1869 when they also discovered football. For the history of Nebraska after 1869 please refer to the annual Nebraska Cornhusker Football Media Guides.

History

The only history worth knowing is Nebraska has 5 National Championships in football: 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, and 1997. Nebraska hates Michigan for stealing half of the 1997 National Championship. Nebraska may have invented a unicameral legislature and was home to Strategic Air Command, but it was not listed in the annual Nebraska Cornhusker Football Media Guide so they are debatable facts.

Fun Fact # 4: Incidents of crime (especially domestic abuse) go up after every football loss.

just a bit of it all. pretty awesome overall

yarrrr

#2 Yossarian

Yossarian

won a major award -fijords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Interests:Doing the Lord's work.
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Colorado invents a better idiot...

This guy is actually stupid enough to be playing in Boulder...
---------------------------

Lineman has pinkie finger amputated to keep playing

October 15, 2008
Erik Brady, USA TODAY

Trevor Wikre had a choice: Lose his pinkie finger or lose his football season.

"I said, 'Cut it off,' " Wikre says. He took no time to ponder. "I knew right away," he says. "It wasn't a hard choice."

Wikre, 21, is a guard for Mesa State College, a Division II school in Grand Junction, Colo. He had told teammates a couple of weeks earlier how much he loved them as brothers.

"I said, 'I'd take a bullet for you,' " he says. "Well, this was my chance to put words into action. This was my bullet."

The Mesa Mavericks will play their first game on national cable TV Thursday night (8 ET, CBS College Sports) vs. Western State (Colo.). Mesa is 5-2, 5-0 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. The trauma came Sept. 30 when Wikre's right little finger shattered at practice. He pulled off a glove, saw bone jutting out and asked trainers to tape it up. They declined and got him to the hospital, where doctors advised him that he needed season-ending surgery.

"I'm a senior," Wikre (pronounced WICK-er-EE) says. "If they put pins in there, my career was finished. I told them to just take it off. They said I was being dramatic. I said, yeah, well, losing my season is dramatic, too."

Doctors tried to dissuade him, he says, but they were at last persuaded to take the finger at the second knuckle, leaving a stump.

"Even with the operation I was going to have trouble with it later in life," he says. "I think that's why they let me" make the decision to amputate."

Wikre missed one game. He played last week with a rubber cast in a 26-3 win against Colorado State-Pueblo. Did he find any difference in how he played? "Just one less finger to hold with," he says, laughing softly.

How about differences in life? "I can't hit the P on the keyboard very well," he says. "I have to train my ring finger to get over there. It takes time."

Wikre got change at the grocery store the other day and felt the coins slipping through his fingers. The pinky is the plug that closes a clenched palm.

How about sipping from a wine glass with pinky finger demurely extended?

"That's not me," Wikre says. "I'm a beer guy. No fanciness here."

Wikre, 6-3, 280 pounds, is majoring in K-12 education and adaptive physical education. He wants to be a phys ed teacher for special needs children. Traci Young, his fiancé, is a bank teller who graduated from Mesa last spring.

"I thought it was pretty crazy, but if you know Trevor you understand," she says. "Sometimes he'll stick it in my face as a joke and I'll squeal. It's gross to look at but, you know, I'm getting used to it."

Mesa coach Joe Ramunno lost his left pinky in a shop class accident in 1979, his senior year in high school.

"We're a matched set," Ramunno says of the bizarre coincidence. "I'm a good source for him on how it is to live with."

Unlike Wikre, Ramunno did not choose to have his pinky amputated. "The doctors made that decision for me," he says. And he would have advised Wikre to save his finger, but it was gone before the coach could give advice. He's pretty darn committed to this team," Ramunno says. "I know where his heart is at. He's a special young man."

An automatic bid to the Division II playoffs goes to the conference champ.

"We want to win the RMAC and make some noise in the playoffs," Wikre says.

The symbol for a team that finishes No. 1 is an index finger held high. "I don't need my pinky for that," Wikre says.

#3 Coloradosker

Coloradosker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3504 posts
  • Interests:Huskers baby!
  • Nebraska

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

Fun Fact # 4: Incidents of crime (especially domestic abuse) go up after every football loss

When you say "I don't want to talk about it" you shouldn't have to repeat yourself.
There are offensive geniuses up and down the block, some real and some like Dan Hawkins, who either can't find a quarterback or doesn't recognize one.

Posted Image

#4 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Oct 16 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ronnie Lott calls the kid a copycat.

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#5 HuskerFan

HuskerFan

I like to walk to lz's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9376 posts
  • Interests:NU football, reading, weight lifting, physical fitness, backpacking, chess, increasing my wealth
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Oct 16 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

---------------------------

Lineman has pinkie finger amputated to keep playing

Is this kid related to MB - nephew or cousin or something?

#6 RINGKONG

RINGKONG

Rabid Unicorn's bitch!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110821 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(HuskerFan @ Oct 17 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this kid related to MB - nephew or cousin or something?

love child from his affair with madiline allbright

Running has an uncanny ability to mellow the soul, to take the edge off hard feelings, and put things back into healthy perspective.
Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with... up close! It's only legal in two states. And this isn't one of them.

poster-38.jpg

#7 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12985 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Hoosier_Husker @ Oct 17 2008, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ronnie Lott calls the kid a copycat.

Yep. Lose it on Saturday, play on Sunday.

Year 1, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Tanner Farmer - "I don't just want to win a Big Ten championship. I want to win *the* championship. That's my goal. A lot of people say winning the national championship isn't a realistic goal. Well, I'm not about realistic. I want it all. Go big or go home. Thank you."

#8 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

Principal imports: Gangsters with speed.
Principal exports: Corn
Principal industries: Cornhusker memorabilia

I like the imports.

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#9 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

and you can't beat this:

Nebraska Landmarks
The Czech Days Beer Garden at Randy's Bar in Wilber

A Typical Day in Nebraska
Sucks...but is infinitely better than being a Colorado Buffaloes fan. However, the Nebraskans spend indefinatly many hours working in corn fields and creating more areas of land fit to grow corn. They love beef. The smell of cow dung is, as a Nebraskan puts it, "the smell of money." If you are lucky enough to live downwind from a feed lot, you can "smell money" every day.

Nebraskans are also known to throw great tailgating parties and love to drink. On the weekends every Nebraskan goes out drinking and by Saturday evenening everyone is fully drunk and they form groups to go out and burn down liberal run school houses.

But the biggest weekend of drinking is known as "Czech Days" in Wilber Nebraska, where every year tens of thousands of people descend on this small town to get drunk on substandard beer in seedy beer gardens for 4 fun filled nights. You know the locals have accepted you if they puke on your shoes! But remember, they'll only accept you as long as you aren't Mexican!

I used to go to czech days every year.

#10 pickemgenius

pickemgenius

Varsity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Hoosier_Husker @ Oct 17 2008, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you can't beat this:
I used to go to czech days every year.

dude I lived there for fuckin 14 years.