• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Interests:Football, Golf and Fishing
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

NU fighting to keep recruits
BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Tuesday, Dec 18, 2007 - 09:33:58 am CST

Not unexpected, but still feared by Husker fans, Nebraska’s football recruiting class shrunk in recent weeks.

The transition from Bill to Bo was anticipated to bring a few recruiting hiccups, and it has.

Nebraska had 24 known oral commitments the last week of October. Now the Huskers have 19.

“That’s bound to happen,” Nebraska’s new coach, Bo Pelini, said Monday, the first day of a recruiting dead period that runs through the bowl season. “We’ve got to deal with it. Our work is far from finished here. We can’t control what’s gone on in the past. All we can control is going forward.

“Anytime you go through a period of coaching uncertainty there are a lot of issues. Players want to know how they fit in with a new staff. Does the new staff have the same plans for them? Every situation is unique unto itself.”

Jeremy Crabtree, Rivals.com national recruiting guru, said Nebraska fans might as well get used to a wild recruiting ride until Feb. 6, national signing day.

“You’re going to see both sides of it,” Crabtree said. “You’re going to see kids that were not even on Nebraska’s radar who are suddenly targets, guys out of left field. Then, on the flip side, you’ll see kids like (quarterback) Blaine Gabbert, defections like that. It happens anytime there’s a coaching change.”

For the past two weeks, Pelini and his staff have been in a mad recruiting rush, trying to reassure any prep players looking elsewhere after Bill Callahan was fired.

The Huskers have taken some hits along the way.

Bryce Givens, a heralded offensive lineman from Denver and once a Husker commit, has eliminated Nebraska from his list of prospective schools. Josh Williams, a defensive end from Texas, has done the same.

Then on Thursday, the Huskers lost out on a ballyhooed in-state recruit, as offensive lineman Trevor Robinson decided on Notre Dame.

Add those names to the list of players that have decommitted from Nebraska this fall: linebacker Shaun Mohler, the “five-star” quarterback Gabbert, running back Jonas Gray.

What’s worse for Nebraska is that Givens, Williams and Mohler all could potentially sign with Colorado.

And over the weekend it seems that several current Husker recruits, most notably Simi Kuli, visited other schools. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive end, arguably the top junior college recruit in the country, reportedly visited Oregon State.

Other coaches have been able to capitalize with Husker recruits by raising questions about the uncertainty of the situation at Nebraska.

“That’s part of what Nebraska is going to have to fight at this point,” Crabtree said. “The good news for them is they have some answers now. Kids want to know, ‘What offense are you going to run? What defense are you going to run? What’s your nonconference scheduling philosophy?’ Those are questions, now that the staff is here, where they are going to be able to answer some of that.”

Having finalized his coaching staff over the weekend, Pelini was in Baton Rouge, La., on Monday, finishing his duties as defensive coordinator for LSU. The Tigers will play Ohio State for the national title on Jan. 7.

Announced as the Husker coach just 15 days before, Pelini said, “I feel good about where we’re at. We’ve been able to accomplish a lot.”

And when it comes to recruiting, he is confident his new staff will do quite well.

“No. 1: You have to be able to evaluate, and then you have to have a passion,” Pelini said. “(Recruiting is) not rocket science. It’s about being able to communicate.”

111px-091407-USCNeb-HerbieHusker.jpgimage818_1.gif  unicorn_pride_07-25-071.jpg

#2 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12997 posts
  • Interests:Retirement is on my mind, but still enjoying work, so not quite yet ready to pull the plug.
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

The axle's have broken - the wheels are coming off.

And when Pelini realizes he is in over his head, he will decide that staying in Baton Rouge with Les is the way to go. Mark my words - he will go back on his word and never sign that contract. This is after all what TO wants, 'forcing' him into taking over as HC - his plan all along. Then next year, maybe two Gill will return as his replacement.

This was all planned after his failed Gubernatorial bid, and finalized at the rebel golf tournament. The Tradition Coalition is winning.

Year 1 of the Covid-19 era, Scott Frost Husker Reclamation Project...

Fuck - let's just play some football

#3 Scrotum McDick

Scrotum McDick

Karma's Bitch 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12934 posts
  • Interests:Blowing dudes, and running a train on other dudes.
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(AZ Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And when Pelini realizes he is in over his head, he will decide that staying in Baton Rouge with Les is the way to go. Mark my words - he will go back on his word and never sign that contract. This is after all what TO wants, 'forcing' him into taking over as HC - his plan all along. Then next year, maybe two Gill will return as his replacement.

This was all planned after his failed Gubernatorial bid, and finalized at the rebel golf tournament. The Tradition Coalition is winning.

Shouldn't you be posting this drivel over at BigGayBoard? Or did BoxCunt steal your password?

NEBRASKA, THE HOME OF THE MAROON, SILVER, AND BLACK!

#4 huskerfan05

huskerfan05

Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Missouri

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(AZ Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now when constructing a tinfoil hat, what is your preferred brand?

#5 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(AZ Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

emot-xd.gif biggrin.gif

Facetious son of a bitch. fyoucchorn.gif

#6 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12997 posts
  • Interests:Retirement is on my mind, but still enjoying work, so not quite yet ready to pull the plug.
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(huskerfan05 @ Dec 18 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now when constructing a tinfoil hat, what is your preferred brand?

7075 - the other shit suffers from salt corrosion stress induced fracturing

#7 AZ Husker

AZ Husker

President of the Galaxy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12997 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(mileNhalfhighhusker @ Dec 18 2007, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
emot-xd.gif biggrin.gif

Facetious son of a bitch. fyoucchorn.gif

cool.gif

#8 Coloradosker

Coloradosker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3504 posts
  • Interests:Huskers baby!
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(AZ Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word I'm hearing is that some of our competitors are actually using this during their recruiting. mad.gif
There are offensive geniuses up and down the block, some real and some like Dan Hawkins, who either can't find a quarterback or doesn't recognize one.

Posted Image

#9 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

here's what I have heard regarding negative recruiting recently (cough, CU, cough):

the Pelini contract is not signed, Pelini and TO are at odds, and the reason Pelini is coaching for LSU in the NC game is because he is going to remain at LSU

Watson and Gilmore were retained only to salvage this recruiting class, and will be let go within a year

I guess some of it is working, though...

but then, you have to wonder if a kid believes this type of shit, did he really want to play for NU that badly? or does NU even want him?

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#10 huskerfan05

huskerfan05

Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Missouri

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Hoosier_Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but then, you have to wonder if a kid believes this type of shit, did he really want to play for NU that badly? or does NU even want him?

My guess is they probably wouldn't even be academically eligible if they are going to actually believe that garbage. I don't see how you could ever play for a coach that rocks a bowl cut in the first place.

#11 Fort Worth Buff

Fort Worth Buff

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3554 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

Poor NU. CU isn't playing nice. rolleyes.gif

I'm sure NU didn't use ANY negative recruiting at all when CU went through the scandal.

#12 Coloradosker

Coloradosker

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3504 posts
  • Interests:Huskers baby!
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Fort Worth Buff @ Dec 18 2007, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Poor NU. CU isn't playing nice. rolleyes.gif

I'm sure NU didn't use ANY negative recruiting at all when CU went through the scandal.

At least ours was true...
There are offensive geniuses up and down the block, some real and some like Dan Hawkins, who either can't find a quarterback or doesn't recognize one.

Posted Image

#13 Fort Worth Buff

Fort Worth Buff

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3554 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Coloradosker @ Dec 18 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least ours was true...

Go on thinking this is the reason why you're losing recruits to NU. It makes you guys feel a lot better, so go with it.

#14 Hoosier_Husker

Hoosier_Husker

"autoerotic asphixiation"

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14613 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Fort Worth Buff @ Dec 18 2007, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go on thinking this is the reason why you're losing recruits to NU. It makes you guys feel a lot better, so go with it.

THIS AINT INTRAMURALS, BROTHER!

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."

#15 Fort Worth Buff

Fort Worth Buff

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3554 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Hoosier_Husker @ Dec 18 2007, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THIS AINT INTRAMURALS, BROTHER!

icon_mrgreen.gif

#16 Buffarino

Buffarino

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3252 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

So am I going to be the one to announce that both Givens and Rippy are now coming to CU? Go Buffs!
This space available for rent.

#17 mNhhh

mNhhh

Karma's my bitch!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21041 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

I ask this in all honesty...what is the attraction of CU in comparison to any big time football school. I don't mean Nebraska specifically, but why in the world would a kid choose CU if he could go to any number of big time schools? The facilities don't compare at all, nor does the fan support. Hell, CU doesn't even sell out a small stadium. I know CU is a good school, but let's face it...most of these 4 and 5 star kids aren't going to college for the edumacation. Congrats to CU for getting these guys...I just don't understand what the attraction is. Early playing time?

#18 Fort Worth Buff

Fort Worth Buff

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3554 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(mileNhalfhighhusker @ Dec 18 2007, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ask this in all honesty...what is the attraction of CU in comparison to any big time football school. I don't mean Nebraska specifically, but why in the world would a kid choose CU if he could go to any number of big time schools? The facilities don't compare at all, nor does the fan support. Hell, CU doesn't even sell out a small stadium. I know CU is a good school, but let's face it...most of these 4 and 5 star kids aren't going to college for the edumacation. Congrats to CU for getting these guys...I just don't understand what the attraction is. Early playing time?

Early playing time and while Boulder is weird, it is a fun college town and a great place to spend 4-5 years. The big schools can't get everyone.

#19 Buffarino

Buffarino

(Jersey Retired)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3252 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

Why would anyone go to NU? Or KjSU? Or Mizzou? Or Norman? Or Collie Station? Or Lubbock?

Compared to all those places, I'd pick CU in a heartbeat. Austin is the only other Big 12 town that holds a candle to Boulder, IMO.
This space available for rent.

#20 Tenacious D

Tenacious D

(Jersey Retired)

• Red Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8368 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Football, Drunk Bitches, Beer, Death Metal
  • Nebraska

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Buffarino @ Dec 18 2007, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would anyone go to NU? Or KjSU? Or Mizzou? Or Norman? Or Collie Station? Or Lubbock?

Compared to all those places, I'd pick CU in a heartbeat. Austin is the only other Big 12 town that holds a candle to Boulder, IMO.

Well, yeah....you live in Colorado...of course you'd pick CU. Durr.

Frankly, if kids are picking CU because there's more to do (skiing, partying, rape, etc)...I'm not sure I'd want them at NU any way. Go have fun. Party it up.

I want kids who want to ball. Period.
"Eat Snickers! Leave garbage!" - Larry David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users