All sunshine and bunnies

• White Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18610 posts
  • Interests:Damn right I'm interesting
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

Pussy

LINCOLN - The hometown speedster was supposed to be part of Nebraska's offensive evolution.

Andy Birkel 

But Andy Birkel, after a December falling out with Bill Callahan, is taking his fleet feet to Northern Colorado.

The Lincoln Southeast graduate and 2003 World-Herald high school athlete of the year hopes for a fresh start at the Division I-AA school. Birkel said moving down a division was key because he won't have to sit out a year under NCAA transfer rules.

\"At Nebraska, I kind of got unlucky and sat almost all of the last two years,\" said Birkel, who played in five games in two years, including just one in 2004. \"(Northern Colorado)'s looking for receivers and it seemed like the right fit for me.\"

Birkel, who also received scholarship offers from Ohio, Wyoming and Northern Iowa, will move to Greeley next week and start practice in August.

Birkel, a Frank Solich recruit, left the Huskers in December after playing just seven snaps all season. He voiced his displeasure with Callahan, calling the coach \"unprofessional.\"

\"He's always saying 'My door is open,' and I tried to take advantage of that,\" Birkel said in December. \"That's their job, if a player asks a question, to tell them what the deal was. He wouldn't even give me five minutes.

\"I was really shocked when I left, but I also was really relieved when I got out of there.\"

Birkel wishes it would've worked out with NU, but is excited about a change of scenery.

\"I'm trying to bury it, trying to start over,\" he said Tuesday. \"Things didn't go my way and I look forward to moving on.\"

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Birkel still holds the second-fastest 400 meter time in state history. He considered running track at NU but said football has always been his first love. He'll join a UNC team that went 2-9 last year.

The Bears lost wide receiver Vincent Jackson, who caught 80 passes, to the NFL. Birkel sees an opportunity to make an immediate impact.

\"I have to prove myself again,\" said Birkel, who has two years of eligibility remaining, \"but I think I have what it takes to be good out there.\" 

You win. Fucker. - Yoss to me 7/31/08

#2 stuntcock

stuntcock

Useful Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

Welcome to losing to Montana and finishing at the bottom of the Big Sky Conference for the rest of your college career.

Good luck with that!

#3 MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs

Step 2 of a 1 step banning program

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7722 posts
  • Interests:Fun
  • Colorado

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(stuntcock)
Welcome to losing to Montana and finishing at the bottom of the Big Sky Conference for the rest of your college career.

Good luck with that!

With one of Neuheisel's assistants as HC...? :?

#4 HuskerFaithful

HuskerFaithful

Recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Husker football, photography, dogs
  • Nebraska

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

He had chances, but when you fumble in a game right in front of the coaches, that isn't going to help your career. That pretty much doomed his. Good luck to him at No Col. He'll see more playing time there in one year than he would have his whole career here.

Anyone else think its interesting to see what schools some of these players (and coach) go to. Frank went from Nebraska to Ohio U. A couple of steps down. To me that says that no one else saw him as a D-1 big time program coach. Dailey goes to UNC, a basketball school. Birkel to a different UNC, enough said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users